Need a real axe

Salue

Adventurer
I've got the Estwing and they have it at the Home Depot. But, it's not in the same section as all the other yellow handle axes which I don't understand. It's over near the power tools...At least at my local HD. $39 if I remember correctly.

Salue

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Need an axe????

Hello all! Just my .02 here but I live within spitting distance from the Adirondack mtns. here in upstate NY. Here and all through New England we have forests and axes have been a part of my gear for over 40 years, in the canoe, pack basket, back of my old FJ-40 to my present truck, used for many chores for many years, never in the woods without it. in a word (or two) Snow & Neally, Bangor Maine, my favorite is there "our best" model axe 2 1/2 lb. head if I remember right, ash handle. Check them out, you will not be disapointed. stay safe, mjmcdowell

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
MJ, I agree. While I haven't used one of those axes specifically, that is obviously just a high quality standard axe. I've also grown up chopping wood and descendant from Quebec lumber jacks. I use a standard axe as well. I prefer a wood handle for feel, but I have one with a fiberglass handle for the truck because it won't rot.

the key with a good axe (from my trail maintenance days) is weight and handle length. Other than that as long as their not cheap chinese then you can sharpen accordingly and generally have a good axe. I'd take a second rate 3.5lb 30" or 36" handled axle over an expensive short axe any day of the week.

Exactly. I've tried other axes and nothing has really improved on the standard axe design. You need all the weight in the head, and nothing in the handle.

I don't even like splitting mauls for splitting. After a few hours of splitting I find they wreck my elbow.

A good sharp standard axe and a good fast swing. I can usually drop a tree faster than other guys can get the chainsaw out, take out the case, add fuel and oil, sharpen the blade, start it up... Obviously not going to section a tree with it, but for removing a tree quickly, can't be beat.

Those Estwing axes... those aren't axes. Those are hatchets. Used for removing branches from logs. Not cutting trees down.

Spikepretorius

Explorer
I drool when you guys discuss axes.
I have a choice of wooden handles that break on the first day or heavy reinforced rubber handles that weigh a ton. It sucks.
Basically, I cannot buy a fullsize axe. I make do with a small hatchet because the wood handle breaks less easy.

The Gransfors Bruks axes are the best I've ever seen. I joke with friends that people keep their spinning and casting rods in the garage, but they keep their fly rods in the den. Well, I have two hardware store axes in the garage, but my Gransfors Bruks axe is in the den with the fly rods. I actually use it. It's not just decoration, but it is a work of art. While you're looking at their U.S. website, check out the line of Swedish Merino Wool long underwear sold by the same importer.

I have a choice of wooden handles that break on the first day or heavy reinforced rubber handles that weigh a ton. It sucks.
Basically, I cannot buy a fullsize axe. I make do with a small hatchet because the wood handle breaks less easy.

I have an axe I bought from a tracker named Wairo in Zimbabwe. He made axes as a side buisness and I am really proud of mine. The bit is hand forged and is triangular shaped, coming to a point at the back of the bit. While the bit is still hot it is driven into the root knot of some type of small hardwood tree trunk forming the handle. I won't be cutting any trees with mine, but our camp staff in Zim used them all the time.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
If you're breaking new wooden handles, you're doing it wrong. You're not supposed to hit the wood with the handle. Also I forgot to mention, I like the idea of the axe with the trencher on the back of the head, but I wouldn't use one for cutting wood. The axe can sometimes bounce back at you. You want a blunt end.

If I need a pick axe, I break out the pick axe.

Spikepretorius

Explorer
:ylsmoke: Yeah. Interesting interpretation. You've obviously never been exposed to really bad quality axe handles. Anyhooo......

teotwaki

Excelsior!

Hi Spike!

Idle question here: why can't you buy a full-sized axe?

On topic: for a long time I had an old WW-2 surplus hatchet in the truck.... until I had to try to use it. :sombrero: Then I bought a small Gerber hatchet and a medium Gerber axe and have used the medium a few times to clear small (6" -8") trees that blocked a trail. Here's hoping that I never am blocked by a much larger tree! Too much work!

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
The right axe can make amazingly short work of even a largish tree. Usually you can get half way through, and then a good strong swing will cleave it in two. Well, as long as it's not hardwood. That's going to suck anyway you slice it.

But it's all in the techique. If you just keep whacking away, making the trunk into wood pulp, it takes a long time. If you actually notch the wood out so you're removing material, it goes much faster.

BlueBomber

Adventurer
i have an old ax that was given to me by a friend. the handle is a bit old and starting to crack, but it was free. i like having a wooden handle. i know if i break it, i can just make another one. just grab a good bit of wood and start cutting.

My father-in-law used to joke that he still used the same old axe he got from his grandfather. He had replaced the handle three times and the head once. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior