• 2001 Chevy Tahoe LT 4X4

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • 2001 Land Rover Discovery SE 4X4

Votes: 21 65.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
While the off-road part is true, the rest isn't. The Tahoe has more room and the road manners are night and day better than the Disco. It's fuel efficiency is better than the Disco as well if you want to get technical (within a mpg or two according to EPA ratings.) Those I know who've had Discos (and my previous one) always got worse than the EPA rating by a good amount. The people I know with that generation Tahoe have got the stated amount or slightly better usually. Of course there's too many factors to judge this as any "fact."

Have you really driven an example of each? I can't believe anybody would come away with this conclusion.

I have an 04 D2, and my father has a 99 Yukon. The difference between them is staggering.

I'll give the Chev marks for fuel economy, and cargo space. No doubt it beats the D2 handily in both. It gets 18-19mpg on the hwy, and I've gotten 15mpg towing a car with it. The D2 gets about 16 on the hwy, 13-14 towing. The big V8 in the Chev also feels more relaxed while towing, kicks down less, etc. The back cargo area is about twice the size of the Disco, and there's more width in the back seat for 3 adults.

But other than that... Road manners? You're kidding! First of all, the seats are amongst the worst things ever foisted on the unsuspecting public. No support, soft, ill-formed, bottom cushion too short... I can barely stand to sit in them. The interior of the 99's is the last of the worst of the 90's era GM corporate interiors. Horrible buttons and controls, and an absolutely "style free zone". The brakes are absolutely horrible, right from day one. Overboosted, but with little actually stopping power, long travel, terrible ABS system. There's zero steering feel, and the suspension is typical 90's GM oversprung and underdamped, the only thing stopping it from oscillating forever is all the friction built in. I've been in the back of the truck when towing a 2500lb pop-up trailer, and even after a short distance it had a terrible pitch oscillation (thing motorboat in choppy water) that threatened to make me sick. Lastly, the headlights are just terrible. Small inefficient reflectors using the worst bulbs available in the industry. The only hope is with some auxilliary lights, which won't help you when there's oncoming traffic.

By comparison, the D2 had fantastic european style supportive seating. The interior layout, while sometimes quirky, at least it has some euro-technical character and outdoorsyness with the map pockets on the headliner, etc. The quality of all the materials, the carpet, leather and upholstery, headliner, etc, all better than the GM. The seating is more upright for both the front and back passengers, more comfortable as long as they don't have really long legs, and the stadium seating is nice. The braking and steering is better than many cars I've driven. The suspension is well tuned with no chop or wallowing, without being harsh. Well, there is a bit of harshness on sharp edged bumps due to the SFA and front suspension design.

Realiability... the only thing I'll give the GM is that parts are cheap and available. But if I had to go a long way, I'd take the Land Rover. Over roughly the same number of miles, the GM has had way more problems that my LR and that despite the fact the GM has led a mostly on-road life, and mine has been used offroad. Some of it stemming from from the weird CSPI fuel injection system, and some from the ignition components. Both caused hard to diagnose intermittent misfires. The GM has had more leaks, trouble with the TC case, brakes... I don't even know all of it.

We've driven around on some dirt roads together as well, and the Disco can handle corrugated roads much better than the Yukon. I'd never even think of serious off-roading in the GM.

Bottom line, you litterally couldn't give me a GMT400. For a long time, I was completely sworn off of trucks. Things like this, the U150 Explorer and P150 Ranger, etc I did everything I could to keep my trackday car streetable, and did everything I could to keep my other tows light and towable by cars. It wasn't until I drove the Land Rover that I discovered I could actually enjoy a truck.

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
After my family's recent experience with GM's reliability, I could NEVER recommend, nor EVER again purchase another GM vehicle... My Camaro has been the most reliable GM vehicle we have owned and I've replaced 4 transmission mounts, and a belt tensioner (not too bad, IMO)... Now our other vehicles are another story... My parents bought a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am, and it now rarely starts without having to reset it (an ignition problem we've been chasing for over a year), the driver's side power window has been out for a couple years now, all the knobs have fallen off the inside, it's just a cheaply built car all together... My grandmother recently bought an Impala with ~20K miles on it, it's been in the shop (under warranty, thankfully) several times, with almost $2K worth of repairs so far, recently the brakes starting leaking (how? I don't know), it has no heat now (why? We don't know), the parking brake doesn't work (again, we have no clue as to why)... My dad's work truck (1500 Silverado 4.3/4L60E) has been in the shop several times (transmission and t-case problems)... We are VERY good with keeping up on PM's too, so it's not lack of maintenance... IMO, after 2000ish GM went into the crapper... Now, I have a good friends who owns 2 GM trucks (a 1993? Tahoe, and a 1996 Silverado) with over 300K on the original motor (heads never been off)...

WickedZJ

Adventurer
Does the 2001 dII have the cdl that needs hooked up or was it removed in 01? If it does not have the cdl can it be added?

S

stu454

The break is mid year. Mine built in April has it. Later trucks do not.

The only way to confirm yay or nay is to crawl under it and see if you have the fabled 'nipple' that can be turned to engage and disengage the CDL.

CDL capability can be added by swapping out the front portion of the transfer case. Doable, but kind of a pain.

S

stu454

'01 is a different model from the '99s. I think that '00 was the first of the new style??

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Just realized the tahoe is a 2001 as well. Not sure if it matters but thought i'd update that anyway.

I've spent a little time in a GMT800 Sierra, it was definitely better than the older trucks, but still can't hold a candle to a Land Rover in terms of style, character, ergonomics, etc. Can't comment on the reliability, though the one I drove couldn't play a CD for longer than 45 minutes without the radio overheating and spitting out the disc. It drove better than my Dad's 99, but still not nearly as well as my Disco. Slightly less friction in the suspension, and much better brakes than the old one.

What about a Ford Expedition? 97-02 with SRA, or 03-06 have IRS but still do have *some* expedition cred:

http://www.moscow-chukotka.com/eng/

D

Deleted member 9101

My vote is for the Tahoe: More pulling power, more room, almost rock solid reliability, very rugged chassis, and the part that no Land Rover can match..... you can get parts for it on a Sunday in the middle of nowhere!!!

But if you want to look like a stuck up, snobby, suburbanite soccer mom... go for the LR.... :victory:

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
...after owning a Rover for a year you will want to either set it on fire or get another one. Maybe both.

Well said. I always advise people who are not addicted to "rover crack" to run away while they can. Once LUCAS grabs onto you, you are screwed for life. But there are support groups called Land Rover Clubs that can help you manage your addiction. And yes, it is an addiction.

So if you don't own a Land Rover already, buy the Tahoe. I'm not kidding.

But in the even you do buy the Rover... welcome to the fold my brother!:)

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
'01 is a different model from the '99s. I think that '00 was the first of the new style??

95 to 99-1/2 were the DI
99-1/2 to 04 were the DII

2004 had the 4.6 engine and the LT230 transmission with the CDL hooked up.
I think late 2001 to 2003 had the LT230 but no CDL nipple.
99-1/2 to early 2001 had the LT230 but did not have the CDL hooked up (there are kits you can buy or fab to hook it up).

I might be a bit off on the LT230 information.:)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78