• 2001 Chevy Tahoe LT 4X4

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • 2001 Land Rover Discovery SE 4X4

Votes: 21 65.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Just realized the tahoe is a 2001 as well. Not sure if it matters but thought i'd update that anyway.

Yes, that matters lots. The 99 Tahoe is a GM OBS body truck, the 2001 is a GM NBS body truck. They bodies switched in mid 2000.

Personally, I love my 2002 Tahoe. Super comfortable ride, and scads of power from the 5.3 V8 when cruising the highway. And the seats are much improved over the OBS version, I have spent upwards of 14 hours at the wheel and not had issues. And so far my rig has been very reliable, other than regular wear and tear items like brake and oil, I have had no problems. True, the Tahoe does not have the visual distinction of a Discovery, but it is possible to mod them and use them successfully off road. Just look at my build thread (linked in sig) if you need more info.

Oh, and I have had my rig now for 4 years and I have never wanted to set it on fire. :elkgrin:

SeaRubi

Explorer
Personally, I love my 2002 Tahoe. Super comfortable ride, and scads of power from the 5.3 V8 when cruising the highway.
Oh, and I have had my rig now for 4 years and I have never wanted to set it on fire. :elkgrin:

it's easy to see why, too :Wow1: congrats on putting together such a nice rig. that looks great.

TahoeSabre060508a.jpg

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Ok. So I went with the Rover, partly because I just like how they look. Call me shallow... it matters.

Those Rovers will go anywhere, but are plagued by electrical problems. I have a friend who tells me to never buy anything British that has an engine. :)

My personal experience with the Disco is limited to traveling in a buddy's vehicle, mostly around town, with the occasional jaunt on the beach. It performed well in both scenarios, is comfortable, and has excellent visibility. There is decent aftermarket support, and parts can be found internationally... but dealers, at least around here will require your firstborn to repair a window motor, if you get my drift.

I had a 1999 2 door tahoe for years, and I loved it. No lift... 33s. I could get through just about anything with brute force and ignorance. Comfortable ride on the highway, decent mpg, and long range (30 gallon tank). Cargo area was roomy and comfortable. You can get parts anywhere... domestically. Issues already mentioned in this thread...

I don't know how well a Disco would hold up in a 65 mph rollover, but the Tahoe sure didn't.

S

stu454

......I don't know how well a Disco would hold up in a 65 mph rollover, but the Tahoe sure didn't.

My friend's '97 D1 rolled on the interstate. Dented the snot out of the roof but he walked away and still has the truck.

He intends to give it to his son, who turned three this year.

On a related note, my '01 D2 had a right rear blowout at 80 mph. I overcorrected and we were traveling north while pointing east at about 50-60mph. With a 2" lift and 32's I didn't roll. I like to think I'm a good driver but I'm not that good; the heavy-******** truck kept its feet on the ground and kept a bad situation from turning to crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

WickedZJ

Adventurer
Yea 02TahoeMD's tahoe definately makes me wanna swing that way. That is a sick tahoe and I would love to have one like that.

michaels

Explorer
the disco is already big enough. i can't even imagine trying to drive a tahoe or any other fullsize truck in the woods. no thanks.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
That's another good point. It depends on where you are and what you want to do. If you're in the desert, or you just wanna do logging roads and stuff, the full size can work. Out here, there's just no way you could get something that big through a Jeep trail. The Disco isn't much wider than a Jeep, but it's taller and longer and harder to get around some of the tight corners.

Well, there are some trails you can get through, but lots you just wouldn't.

WickedZJ

Adventurer
Would be mainly doing trails in colorado. Not many places to go around here so I will be spending a bunch of time on Colorado.

Roverhound

Adventurer
We had a couple of Tahoe's at work. Never could keep the check engine lights out. That's ok though, when they are in the shop you don't see them. Nothing but trouble out of the 2 vehicles we had.
But then again if you have to think so hard about getting the Land Rover, go ahead and just get the Tahoe.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Would be mainly doing trails in colorado. Not many places to go around here so I will be spending a bunch of time on Colorado.

If you get a Tahoe. Put a roll cage in it. Spare yourself the burden of burying a loved one...

lindy

Observer
If you buy the land Rover, We'll set you up with a few good mechanics from Des Moines as well as some good mail order suppliers for parts.
Where in Iowa are you?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

I don't know how well a Disco would hold up in a 65 mph rollover, but the Tahoe sure didn't.

1. Far too many variables in an accident like that to blame the truck.

2. More damage absorbed by the truck, less transmitted to the passengers.

D

Deleted member 9101

If you buy the land Rover, We'll set you up with a few good mechanics from Des Moines as well as some good mail order suppliers for parts.
Where in Iowa are you?

that statement alone would make me run away from a rover...lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman