Prohibiting Vehicles in Residential Areas

jagular7

Adventurer
I'm selling my B&W custom bed due to the city's code requirement of prohibiting flat beds parking in residential areas. The city considers the bed to be a flat bed. City code 3-8-B-2 A-1-f states other than a factory designed cab and truck bed, so basically anything not factory made is prohibited. The city defines 'factory' as the original manufacturer of the truck and not the finisher. I've been fighting the city since September on this. There is a city complainer in my neighborhood.
My truck is a 05 F350 C&C. I picked up a slightly dented long bed to replace it with rather cheap. There will be mods to the bed to make the truck look factory. However, the bed will be sitting 4" farther back due to the longer C&C wheelbase. Since the C&C frame rails are completely flat and 4" skinnier in overall width, the bed support rails will need 'adjustment' to fit it to the F350 frame. I still have to get a waiver from the city since the original design of the truck is not to have a pickup bed on it.
I started out at $3500 for the B&W bed and after 3 months, I'm getting $1500 for it.

100_1251.jpg

100_1411.jpg

jcbrandon

Explorer
That sucks. Sorry to hear about your hassles.

I don't know if it is still true, but the city of Menlo Park, California has (had?) an ordinance prohibiting pickup trucks parked overnight. Not just on the street, but even in a driveway. So if you visit a friend in Menlo Park, you have to find somewhere else to park your truck. I don't visit friends in Menlo Park any more.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
What a silly law. And what if you were an independent framing contractor like my neighbor across the street? He couldn't park his work truck at home, where he works out of.
And I thought CA had some stupid laws......

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Man, that's a sucky law.

I picked up a slightly dented long bed to replace it with rather cheap.

Is there a law against dented beds? If there isn't, and it was me, and I lived near a complainer, I'd put on the oldest, most dented bed I could find (or create.)

But I tend to get upset by stupid laws and meddling neighbors...

DaveM

Explorer
Well, I live on a pretty narrow street with mostly homes and a couple of apartment complexes. Around the corner from me is a street with mostly apartments. Parking is limited at the complexes so they park on my street creating a very tight parking situation. Occasionally someone who does not live on this street will park their commercial truck or trailer here and leave it for a few days/weeks, moving it around from time to time to avoid tickets. Ditto for a few occasions of selling a large commercial truck on this street instead of in front of the owners home (until I chewed him out in front of a prospective sale). Previous residence in same town, we had a local contractor who owned two large flatbed trailers that he routinely moved around the area (never at his house) essentially storing them on our streets until a job called for their use.

This kind of behavior drives me nuts and tends to tamper my sympathy for people with commercial/work vehicles they park at home on the street.

Sorry for your hassles, and I don't know your situation exactly, but I can't say I blame the guy who called in if you were leaving that truck parked unused for long periods of time.

njtaco

Explorer
I feel for you...I could not drive my Tacoma to see my Dad last year because I can't park there, or even have the truck there, after 5pm. (We drove his Durango instead, so it wasn't all bad.:sombrero:)

Today I found out I can't visit on my new-to-me motorcycle either...they won't even let me in the gate! I have to park at the supermarket and walk into the development. Nothing like riding 1200 miles to be turned away 1200 feet from his condo! (I didn't, but might have if I didn't know...) :bike_rider:

Good luck on the conversion, and sorry for your financial loss on the deal.

lstzephyr

wanderer
Thats a stupid law. The law/bylaw against bikes is just as stupid.

I'd find the longest fiberglass prerunner style bedside and slap it on there. Then tell them it was a "custom" pickup bed.

i think you need to find a new residential area. i can stand on my front porch and count 13 vehicles and 3 trailers between me and my land lord. 4 of which have not moved in the 3 years i've lived here. if you ever come to WV, you can park your flatbed ford next to my landlords 71 that has been at the end of the driveway for 2 weeks now. good luck.

Nick02

If you're not using the truck for commercial purposes couldn't the state consider it a Recreational Vehicle?

Mr. Moore

Observer
Those laws/ HOA rules are so stupid. I was installing cabinets in a house and I had put all of the cardboard boxes on the front porch, and within an hour sombody from HOA knocked on the door and said that it was against the HOA rules to have anything on the porch. When I told them that I was just working ther and that when I was done I was going to take it with me, they told me I had to move it right then or the homeowner would be fined...what a bunch of crap....I would move if you can rather than change your truck....but I also understand that isn't always an option

RedDog

Explorer
Ridiculous. A neighbour of mine has an oilfield hotshot service Dodge Ram diesel with flat deck not unlike your truck. In fact, I don't believe he even has another vehicle. It's no more imposing on the street on the rare occasions he does park in front of the house than any F250 Harley-Davidson Ford would be - in fact it might be smaller. Then consider these lifted sky high monster trucks turning up everywhere with big chrome wheels, etc. It's not like your truck is a Kenworth or anything. Geez what next, my Jeep is lifted with non-factory wheels and tires so it has to go?

Bella PSD

Explorer
AND HERE IS THE LAW From the City of Lenexa Kansas

Park any motor vehicle with a designated weight specification in excess of one (1) ton or any of the following types of vehicles: vehicles longer than eighteen feet (18') or taller than seven feet (7'), or eight feet (8') in width, flatbed trucks, dump trucks, utility wreckers, tandem axled trucks or cab and chassis trucks or hauling trailers or any other motor vehicle (this does not include standard pickup trucks which have a factory-built cab and bed which are designed as a singular unit, motor homes or standard passenger vehicles) on any street or alley within any residential zoning districts, on any private residential property or on any property in a private residential parking area or private residential common area on any property used for residential purposes in any zoning district for more than two (2) hours, except when necessary for loading and unloading or within the performance of a service to or upon property in the block the vehicle is parked.

And this is your out!! There definition of DEVICE is were you have them. You just need to make sure its understood its an RV OR Other Devices. And by there own definition, its open to interpretation.
Recreational Vehicles, Motor Homes, Watercraft, Trailers, and Other Devices; Parking and Storage: The parking and storage requirements for recreational vehicles, motor homes, watercraft, camping trailers and hauling trailers, and other "devices"* in residential districts, is as follows:

*See Section 3-8-G-2 of this Chapter for definition.*(DEVICE: Any watercraft, recreational vehicle, motorhome, camping trailer, shell, truck cap, pop-up camper, slide-in camper and other similar device, or hauling trailer, including any vehicle hereinafter referred to as "device.")

# No person shall park, place or store any device on any parcel that is less than five (5) acres in any zoning district other than in an enclosed garage or covered out-building or in the side or rear yard in accordance with the screening requirements of Section 3-8-B-2-A-4-b, but not in the side yard of a corner lot adjacent to a public street on any property used for residential purposes. Any device stored in the side yard shall be placed behind the front building line, and shall be placed as close to the main building as possible. Any device stored in the rear yard shall be placed within the buildable area envelope of the main structure and shall be placed as close to the main structure as possible. When the device cannot be stored in the rear yard or in the non-street side side yard of a corner lot, the device may be stored in the street side side yard, but not within fifteen (15') of any public street.
# Any device parked, placed or stored in the side yard or rear yard and not in an enclosed garage or covered out-building shall be substantially screened to the full height and length of the device by the use of fencing and/or vegetation such that it prevents the device from being visible from all adjacent public streets and from the ground level of neighboring properties.

And a common definition of a recreational vehicle. (Van or utility vehicle used for recreational purposes, as camping, and often but not always equipped with living facilities. Abbreviation: RV)

So according to the in law in City of Lenexa Kansas, you can not park a flatbed truck in the street or driveway BUT you can park an RV in your yard!

But you are screwed here for sure!!
# Any device may be parked, placed or stored in a driveway solely for purposes of active and expeditious loading or unloading of passengers, freight or merchandise, and/or for servicing activities associated with trip preparation for a time period not to exceed twenty-four (24) hours. The allowable time period commences when the device is first parked, placed or stored in the driveway and terminates twenty-four (24) hours thereafter. Each twenty-four (24) hour time period constitutes a separate time period for the purpose of determining the existence of a violation pursuant to Section 3-8-B-2-A-4-f below.
# No device shall be parked, placed or stored in a driveway in excess of four (4) separate twenty-four (24) hour time periods within a thirty (30) day span.

OK, I have to get to court now, good luck!

Louie

Last edited:

19psi

The Devil Made Me
wow, what a bunch of BS. That's why i will never live in a "nice" neighborhood. i like my junk, and i like to be able to do what i want with it, how i want, when i want. I'm sure your neighborhood would also frown upon welding at 11pm on a tuesday night.... which i'm prone to do, or any other night of hte week for that matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179