Top Ten Vehicle Modifications for Overland Travel

Patman

Explorer
I think the idea of a limited availability, globaly nonexistant vehicle (I.E. hummer of any sort) being a good base for a global expedition rig is up there on the list of bad ideas. Not meant to take away from the capability of any of the three platforms, just not the ideal base.

If you're staying in the states, sure if it floats your boat. If not, perhaps there are better choices.

alexrex20

Explorer
Have you tested the H1, H2 and H3 extensively?

Have you?

A Taco or JK isn't the best idea for an overland vehicle either. What's that they say about a "Jeep thing?" If you need a truck, get one that can tow and haul more than a RTT. If I need a short wheelbase, maneuvarable rig for short excursions, I will take my "Xterra."

Like I said, everyone has different needs.

southpier

Expedition Leader
I would also like to see something to add in with the First Aid... survival skills... I am not talking walking into the woods with nothing but boots, and living for a year...

Just, basic survival stuff, major break in a rig, and long period of bad weather is coming, etc.... You know... preparedness for worse case scenario......

this would be helpful.

my contribution: a CD can be used for a signal mirror

Harald Hansen

Explorer
now we are talking Peter. there should be a separate section on this forum for these beauties, i know i have a few pictures i could add.

There could be a section called "Wholly unsuitable vehicles" next to the Land Rover, Jeeps and Toyotas. Sometimes it seems to me like the more ill-suited the vehicle is, the more fun is had on the road! :elkgrin:

Harald Hansen

Explorer
I'm looking forward to the "loading and lashing" section being expanded. That's one of the areas where mistakes actually can kill you just down the road from home, but is often overlooked.

Scott Brady

Founder
Have you?

Even in my little world, yes - extensively. I was a trainer in the military for the H1 and have used both the H2 and H3 in the field. We had the ARB H3 for over a month.

So you have such a strong opinion about the HUMMER products, yet you have never tested them. Your web persona is coming into focus Alex...

jim65wagon

Wow, this has gone downhill fast. It's disappointing.

x2

I was looking forward to reading some decent articles on vehicle prep, which can be applied to your vehicle of choice.

My understanding is, just because a certain vehicle is not mentioned in an article - or hasn't attained Pinnacle status - does not mean it is wholly unuseable. The prep is relatively the same across the board, dependant on where you travel and how you want to live while travelling.

Don't get upset because your Tundra, H2, Xterra, Ram, or Chevette, didn't get it's name mentioned in a magazine or on the internet as being the premiere overlanding vehicle of choice. Drive what you own, kit it out to suit your needs, and enjoy articles on a subject most magazines and books don't touch.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Scott, I've been reading through your articles on various aspects of off-road prep, and just want to say keep up the good work. I just read your article on skinny versus wide tires and learned a lot. You give some real thought to what you're saying and seem pretty fair all around when it comes to justifying your findings. We are probably all guilty of being partial for and against certain brands of vehicles and styles of off-roading. I know I am often, and have to try and remind myself that someone else out there has the vehicle that I am making a critical statement about. It's not really about the vehicles, as much as what one does with them that matters. :)

Overland Hadley

on a journey
.Don't get upset because your Tundra, H2, Xterra, Ram, or Chevette, didn't get it's name mentioned in a magazine or on the internet as being the premiere overlanding vehicle of choice. Drive what you own, kit it out to suit your needs, and enjoy articles on a subject most magazines and books don't touch.

Right!

When what I had was a small Subaru with laughable off road capabilities, I did what I could with it. I knew it was not a fully kitted overland vehicle, but that did not stop me from getting out and exploring with it.

Now what did stop me were small rocks, small mud holes, large puddles, 6" of melting snow, harsh corrugated roads....

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Not your bust Scott.

We aren't able to conduct civil debate or discourse on a variety of topics these days without the presence of a "sniper in the mess." Therein lies the predictability...

Is it really just to call a guy who took issue with this original statement a "sniper"?

Regarding HUMMER. I do not consider any of their products appropriate for serious exploration.

I mean, don't you think there are some people out there who drive Hummers around on their adventures who will take issue with someone saying that they can't do any serious exploring in them? I'm sure Scott has some very valid reasons for what he is saying from his perspective, but it's natural for the statement itself to invite some debate . . . Agreed?

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle

Members online