¡Vida es buena!

As some of you noticed before, I was supposed to take a motorbike trip through Mexico and Central America all the way to the end of the road in Panama, in the Darien Gap. There are quite a few reasons keeping me from being able to take my six week, six thousand + mile trip. Mainly family issues (not problems). Life is good, remember. Vida es buena.

Bike has been gone through. New chain, sprockets, brakes, some extra lighting, 12v outlet, fresh oil. Luggage is figured out. Maps are packed. Route unknown. Destination? I have a few.

Bags are packed and the bike handles great loaded up. I accidently forgot my memory card before we went on a test ride....

But, here is the bike loaded up similar to how I will be riding it on the road.
IMG_0009.jpg

All that is missing is my dry bag with my clothes and sleeping bag, etc.

efuentes

Explorer
LaOutbackTrail said:
A few sample photos of the area I will be traveling:

163992714-L.jpg

An idea of the topography.

I did almost the same route 18 years ago on my mountain bike, ahh, nice memories, I almost forgot I was fit once ....

Saludos from hotter than hell, Los Mochis.

Well, I am off to Mexico early in the morning! I am leaving from Alexandria, where tonight, I am going to a church BBQ and spending the evening with my family. This was all planned fo my Central America trip, which wont be happening yet. Fortunately, however, this is actually my longest ride. I may be gone for a week or two weeks... not the six I had planned for the bigger run.

Tomorrow, I am meeting a group from the Two Wheeled Texans website (Twtex.com) at a social BBQ in Huntsville, Texas. From Huntsville I plan to get to Lake Corpus Christi, where another TWTexan has agreed to let me borrow an extra room for the night. Lake Corpus Christi puts me about 2 hours from the border, about 2.5 hours from my border crossing (Los Ebanos ferry crossing).

The Los Ebanos ferry crossing is the last of its kind. Before bridges were installed to cross the Rio Grande, many of the actual crossings were by ferry. I chose to do this route because it gets me away from the seemingly scary border town of Reynosa. And, its a cool little thing. Slightly more difficult, slightly more expensive, but who cares? This is what I'm doing.
los%20ebanos%20ferry%203.jpg

I'm doing a makeshift video, using my digital camera and a few SD cards. things will be interesting. :)

I'll try to give an on the road update if I find un computadora.

I have to say it...
"Adios amigos!"

articulate

Expedition Leader
LaOutbackTrail said:
The Los Ebanos ferry crossing is the last of its kind. . . . it gets me away from the seemingly scary border town of Reynosa. And, its a cool little thing. Slightly more difficult, slightly more expensive, but who cares? This is what I'm doing.
los%20ebanos%20ferry%203.jpg

That kicks huge keester. What a cool way to cross over. Vaya con Díos, amigo. I'm looking forward to the stories and photos when you return.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Looks to be a super trip. Sounds like you are solo? Are you SPOT equipped and if so will you be posting a link to your track?

Ride Safe

LandCruiserPhil said:
Looks to be a super trip. Sounds like you are solo? Are you SPOT equipped and if so will you be posting a link to your track?

Ride Safe

Spot Equipped. I hit the road in the morning but don't pick up the SPOT until lunch time. I'll try and get a link then. I have a spot, but this will be the only time I use it this year I think. SOOOO, I am using a friend's.

With big plans of exploring Northeast Mexico, I set out on my well equipped 1997 Honda XR650L.
IMG_0009.jpg

First off, you've got to say goodbye to the family.

P7050019.jpg

Then the boring roads...
P7050025.jpg

... And being bored
P7050029.jpg

Welcome to Texas. Where the roads are friendly, and people drive on the shoulder of the road for you to pass them.
P7050035.jpg

Good food and good people.
P7050042.jpg

P7050045.jpg

Problem number one.
P7050047.jpg

I knew I smelt something burning...... Well... i did a bad packing job. I used my bike cover as a backrest... well, when it became uncomfortable... i flipped it up.... and onto the exhaust. I reckon it sat on the pipe for 2 hours...:doh: I'm just glad it didnt catch fire.

Thanks to Tourmeister for hosting the TWTex BBQ. I'm glad I got to meet the folks that I did.

After leaving Scott's house I continued west, aiming for Lake Corpus Christi for another TWTexan's house to spend the night. "I'll leave the bottom floor unlocked for you." :trust:

Well, soon after leaving Huntsville, its like someone told the big boss man up stairs to paint a different landscape. I went from pineywoods to scrubby, desert-ier, terrain full of cattle and my first cactuses. What I didnt notice, while enjoying the landscape was the piece of paneling in the road.... that the car in front of me kicked up.

Kicked up, meaning, I drove through a 4ft x8ft x 1/4" piece of brown wall paneling that was standing on its side.... I didnt know what the freak that was..... I thought I might need to check my shorts after that, but I just pissed myself.:p I didnt get a picture of this event, unfortunately.... but a couple miles down the road, i tried to use my HWY pegs. turns out i picked up a hitch-hiker... a 1ft square-ish piece I kicked it off and watched it land square across the hood the the car tailgating me... they backed off.

Then, after seeing several pieces of paneling on the road, I caught up to the source.
P7050050-1.jpg

I passed through a few little towns that seemed pretty cool. Round Top and a little town called La Grange.... did ZZ name the song after this town?

And, there must be a bunch of Checks? cheqs? chex? Czechs? In this town... I saw all sorts of Czech items for sale and vendors on the sides of the road...
P7050069.jpg

Now... the funishly SUCKY part. The next 200 miles of rain.
P7050068-1.jpg

P7050079.jpg

P7050086.jpg

P7050087.jpg

P7050088.jpg

By the way... the first rain shot where I am wearing the bandana... It works great until saturated, where then it becomes a Highspeed death trap torture device.... You cant breath through wet cloth! I almost panicked because I had the bottom going under the chin strap....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12