04-4-4-4 Conversion/Build

Caoboy

Adventurer
:confused: Guess I don't get it.

What's the point of getting a 4 cyl if it's still got the slushbox behind it? With all that weight you've added on that thing is going to be as slow as molasses running uphill in January, and I'd be surprised if it gives you any improvement in MPG.

Now a 4 cyl/5 speed combo would make sense to me. But given how un-spectacular even the 3.4 is with an auto, I can only imagine that the 4 cyl/auto combo is much, much worse.

I guess its unique, if that's what you're going for, but I can't imagine that it performs any better or gets significantly better MPG than a standard DC 4x4 with the 3.4/auto combination.

I believe it gets about the same (comparing my pop's DC and my buddy's 3.4 auto 4Runner) MPG. While it's not as quick going uphill, with a loaded bed full of camping gear/wood, it get around the same. So you might get there a bit slower, but you still get there the same.

Less cylinders/easier to work on (no stupid intake manifold like the 3.4/3.0) and as long as you aren't trying to make it a zombie TEOTWAKI rig that can out run and out drive anything, you are good to go.

Oh, and it has a timing chain, unlike the v6's with timing belts.

LAF943

Observer
Pictures

The Tacoma performed flawlessly this past weekend in the Sierras. Power was never an issue off-road, however I did feel the lack of power on the freeway up in the mountains. Not too bad, I could easily do 55MPH, and if it downshifted 65, but the engine was over 3000 RPM at that point. It was liveable, and now that the trip is over, I think it's fine. The ARB's worked well, and that compressor is definitely faster than the old ones I was used to. Enjoy the pics!photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 5.jpgphoto6.jpg

pray4surf

Explorer
Great looking truck! Great sense of accomplishment to undertake the conversion.

My prerunner conversion (for those not familiar) 98 2.7L XtraCab; 4:88 gears ARB rear locker, 285/75R16 BFG-AT

I like that you swapped out the tranny tailshafts - didn't have to deal with some of the tweaks I had to undertake to fit the 3.4L running gear. Did you have any issues with the location of the j-shifter (or is yours the push-button style?) I ended up cutting the shift lever and welding in a dogleg - this allowed the xfer case lever to enter the cab in the proper location.

What size tires are you running with the 5:29's?

As for mtn driving, I'm always hunting around for the proper gear also. it's either lugging or revving. I do tend to leave it out of OD under these situations and play around with the ECT button...

Now that it's done, it's good to see you out wheeling it!

Rick

LAF943

Observer
I didn't have any issues with the t-case shifter...it fit right in with no issues. IIRC, the transfer case was set up for "forward shift" as opposed to "top shift". I do not have the push-button 4WD...I lock the hubs and drop into 4hi or 4lo. I thought it would be best to cut out as many points of failure as possible. I'm running 255/85 tires with the 5.29's. I did end up clicking the ECT button and turning off the OD to find my "sweet spot" in the mountains...it worked out rather well. I'd like to publicly thank you again for all your help...I PM'ed you several times in the past few years and your advice and expertise on transmissions saved me! Thanks again.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I didn't have any issues with the t-case shifter...it fit right in with no issues. IIRC, the transfer case was set up for "forward shift" as opposed to "top shift". I do not have the push-button 4WD...I lock the hubs and drop into 4hi or 4lo. I thought it would be best to cut out as many points of failure as possible. I'm running 255/85 tires with the 5.29's. I did end up clicking the ECT button and turning off the OD to find my "sweet spot" in the mountains...it worked out rather well. I'd like to publicly thank you again for all your help...I PM'ed you several times in the past few years and your advice and expertise on transmissions saved me! Thanks again.

My same experience and solutions when driving the mountain passes too. Would I like more power? Sure. But it has plenty on the trail where it's needed. Looking good up in the snow!

LAF943

Observer
More Pictures

Went from the snow last week to the beach this week...and ended up in the Carrizo Plain:
0.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

blakeape

Adventurer
Well done sir! I think you hit the nail on the head when you dropped the 5.29's into the diffs. I have owned at least 15 maybe more Toyotas, 22re's, 3.0's, and I currently have 4 3.4's. I have driven a few of the 2.7's and love them. IMHO all these motors respond really well to lower gears, better than headers, exhaust, intakes, etc. I swear my 1996 3.4 5spd Taco with 4.88's on 35's was quicker off the line than my friends 2000 3.4, 4.10's, with a supercharger on 33's. Nice job on the truck and great to see you using it.

LAF943

Observer
Thanks for the comments...always appreciated! I really like the gear selection (5.29's). I've included a shot of my speedo at 70MPH (calibrated with a Dakota Digital unit) and confirmed with GPS:
photo.jpg

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
That's good to hear that you're satisfied about your gearing. There's a number out there that refuse to believe it... except for us who've done it.

Can you tell us more about your speedo calibration? I've just gone with "go with the flow" or referenced the GPS. Was the effort (hard or easy?) worth your time?

LAF943

Observer
Thanks Tango...I PM'ed you in the past to get your opinion, and you were very convincing about the 5.29's (and the frame reinforcements). It was a good choice. Here's a shot of the Dakota Digital unit. I used velcro to attach it to the inside firewall and left a lot of slack in the wiring so I could simply detach it and calibrate it while I was on the go (with the calibrator in my lap). I would use GPS to confirm my speed and dial in the calibrator...real easy. There's a few dip switches that must be toggled on/off to get close, then you dial the last few MPH's in. The other picture shows the plug to the speed sensor (I think). I spliced into the green wire...that runs to the calibrator. I say "I think" because when I did it originally, my truck was a prerunner so I'm assuming that's the speed sensor on the t-case. I highly recommend this unit, I've had it since 2006, and have had no issues. I used it recently after leaving Central 4 Wheel Drive to dial in my new gears. calibrator.jpgtrans.jpg

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I'm glad it worked out for you. Thanks for the details about the speed sensor... it's on the list.

LAF943

Observer
Mojave Rd Pics

It's been a few weeks...time to post an update. I recently returned from a trip to the Mojave. It was a great trip, and the scenery was spectacular. Enjoy:1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

9.jpg10.jpg

LAF943

Observer
A Few More Pics

11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg

Additionally, I am looking into a one-piece rear drive shaft. I'll post pictures on the install as soon as I can.

LAF943

Observer
Almost Forgot

For all of you techies...I used two iPhone apps while on the Mojave Rd. First was an app called "Offline Topo Maps" ($4.99) and the second was "AllTrails" (free). Both apps cache maps so you are able to use the phone while out of cell range. The Offline Topo app caches USGS topo maps which are highly detailed. The catch is you can only download 10,000 tiles...which ended up covering all of my trip. I was able to download the maps on 3G, but it took quite a while. The AllTrails app is free and uses a different source for maps. What's neat about that app is that there are trails saved into the database. You can "check in" when you reach the trailhead, create and share a track, and even rate/comment on a trail. Here's some screenshots:
photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior