04-4-4-4 Conversion/Build

Caoboy

Adventurer
Couple of questions.
First, where did you get the steelies? Which model truck?

Second, don't mean to be all stalker status, but I think I saw your truck around town! Are you located around Modesto?

LAF943

Observer
Yup...I'm in the Modesto area! I got the steelies from a wrecking yard in Hughson (the name of the business escapes me right now, but I'm guessing there's not many wrecking yards there). When I was looking for the wheels there was another yard in the Turlock area which had a set. The prices at both places was about $30-$35/wheel. F

YotaPilot

Adventurer
Very nice truck. Just catching up on your build today. You did a lot of the same mods I have planned for my truck (not the conversion...mine is already 4WD). You may be hearing from me in the future for some equipment reviews. :victory:

Clutch

<---Pass
I believe it gets about the same (comparing my pop's DC and my buddy's 3.4 auto 4Runner) MPG. While it's not as quick going uphill, with a loaded bed full of camping gear/wood, it get around the same. So you might get there a bit slower, but you still get there the same.

Less cylinders/easier to work on (no stupid intake manifold like the 3.4/3.0) and as long as you aren't trying to make it a zombie TEOTWAKI rig that can out run and out drive anything, you are good to go.

Oh, and it has a timing chain, unlike the v6's with timing belts.

I'll have to agree with Martinjmpr, I don't see the point, seems like an awful lot of effort just to get an underpowered 4 banger....as they say "to each their own"

Slapping on a supercharging on an already existing V6/4WD Double Cab makes more sense to me, at least time/parts/moneywise....plus you get more power with the same fuel economy.

Seriously, worrying about the intake manifold!? My 3.4 has 255,000 miles on it, the intake manifold has never been off. Changing the spark plugs is a breeze as well...
Might be working on the 4 Banger earlier compared to the V6, cause you have to wring its' neck to get any power out of it, especially with all that weight, no matter how it is geared.

Timing chains aren't any better than belts.

Words of wisdom: "If it gots tits or wheels, it is goin' to give ya trouble" :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

bloodycape

Observer
Have you thought about doing some engine mods, like a intake plenum for more power, with out getting a hit on mpg(and maybe even see a 1mpg increase depending on the model you go)?

toyotech

Expedition Leader
if you ever do any snow wheeling up at Bald Mountain or want to, let me know. i also in the valley. love what you have done so far

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan