05 E350 heat

Myvanisbetter

Observer
After a recent cold snap I've noticed a few things about the heater in my van.

It takes a while to heat up, and that is with a new thermostat from Ford. When the Tuner shows engine temp @ 190ºF the heat coming out of the vents is luke warm at best, unless the engine is turning 1500rpm or greater.

Coasting down hills in chilly temps, even with the engine revved, leaves the heat kind of lacking.

Running up a hill will make the heat nice and hot like I expect it to be all the time, at least in the front vents, the rear heat never seems to get warm.

The whole thing kind of has me stumped.

water pump failing? both heater cores blocked?

Help! :ugh:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Which motor?

No inspiration... Although one common issue is that the heater flaps are switched by vacuum. Vacuum reservoirs are prone to failure and systems often have leaks. Does the heater core under the dash on the passenger side get hot?

No ideas on the. Rear heat, unless it's blocked or disconnected.

05e3504x4

While I wouldn't rule out some sort of vacuum issue or heater core problem, My 2011 f150 does the same thing. If I drive around in cold temps in 5th or 6th gear, I don't get much heat. My solution is to lock out 5th and 6th and stay in 4th or 3rd to keep the rpm's up so the water pump will spin fast enough to get the water circulating. You will use more fuel but maybe try staying out of OD while your driving in cold temps. Get your rpm's up so the water pump can circulate the hot water better.

In my old 81 and then my 91 e150 I used to hang a blanket from the roof to the floor and side to side right behind the front seats to keep the heat in. Worked good.

As for no heat going downhill, well the motor isn't working (burning much fuel) creating heat and with cold temps there is just no heat to send to the heater core.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
With a 7.3 the front heater will easily heat the whole Ambulance... that said the rear box is fully insulated and retains heat in the winter (and stays cooler in the summer) longer than passenger vehicles. Insulation could help the issue you're having... or blocking off the grill to keep things warmer under the hood.

Myvanisbetter

Observer
Which motor?

No inspiration... Although one common issue is that the heater flaps are switched by vacuum. Vacuum reservoirs are prone to failure and systems often have leaks. Does the heater core under the dash on the passenger side get hot?

No ideas on the. Rear heat, unless it's blocked or disconnected.

it is the 6.0 powerstroke. The vacuum leak could make sense, anybody have a diagram to go hunting down leaks? Does the powerstroke use some sort of electric vacuum pump?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
97 uses belt driven. Newer 7.3s used electric from what I understand. 6.0s I don't know about.

No diagram unfortunately. If I had to guess, I'd guess a leak where the line goes through the fire wall or the vacuum reservoir that's attached to the heater duct under the dash.

Myvanisbetter

Observer
Some quick research shows me that it could be a belt driven pump, or electric. The belt driven makes sense with my symptoms.

More research required I guess!

djbonsu

Adventurer
Im sure you started with the simple things but just to be sure have you checked the coolant level?

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
Ensure the two heaters are plumbed with T's and not inline with each other.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

Myvanisbetter

Observer
So, checked the coolant level, it's good. Verified vacuum is good and the system is sealed. Guess that leaves poor flow in the heater core. Anyone done a heater core on the van? How bad is it?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Easy to access the core under the dash (unless something changed between 2001 & 2005). Awkward to reach the lines under the hood.

another_mike

Adventurer
Doesnt the 6.0 have a coolant bypass valve operated by vacuum? I believe the default position is open, meaning it allows coolant to flow through the core, and that many times this parts failure usually is noticed in the summer with the "A/C not cooling" symptom.. but its something id definitely check before pulling the heater core.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears