'10 4runner - game on

zidaro

Explorer
So with that Smart key system, if you have the key in your pocket and get out, can another person drive off?

Just wondering if you drive somewhere and then wifey goes off to do errands, is she going to get stranded if she doesn't have a key to restart?

technically at that point I will have "left" her there:sombrero: Really though, I think you would be right in that assumption. I the key is in my pocket there should not be a way to start or drive the car off if i am not in it. Really have not had a great amount of time to play with it yet and that is a great scenario i shall have an answer to soon.
Its like having this great toy to play with, but you have to clean up everything in the house first (work). Cant wait to get down and dirty with all this stuff and find out how it all works. It is NOTHING like an older vehicle that is jump in and go, if you need 4x4 be sure to lock the hubs.

Comes with 2 smart keys BTW. Assume they are NOT cheap to replace
DSC_0059.jpg

Last edited:

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Yeah, I tried that smart key on a new Venza... wild stuff

I like how it automatically unlocks when you touch the handle.

Does the 4-Runner seat go wayyyyyy far back?

I'm 6'6" and that is always criteria #1 in a vehicle for me.

The FJ Cruiser is the most comfortable car I've ever driven for this reason. Our FJZ80 is way too cramped for a big guy. The T100 is not bad. All the 4-Runners I've tried heretofore were a no-go. The Venza is VERY comfortable and roomy.

I can't tell how sick I think the Gen-5 4-Runner styling is!! You must be stoked! I lust...

zidaro

Explorer
Icy roads and full-time 4x4 are amazing together. Literally from a stop on a mild uphill/4wheels on ice- floor it! This thing will spin for a second then start to grab and quickly move fwd. To compare on same said hill(my driveway) my '96 Taco4x4 will spin wildly and very slowly make no progress untill i let off throttle and stop the spinning, then i can feather it fwd.
ABS works great as it should, nothing special there.
DSC_0041.jpg

XREAS suspension (Limited ED. only) on-road seems to work great as the vehicle handles turns tightly and surely does not have body roll to any excess levels when "swerving" at speed. Too bad this will get yanked when I lift it

Nav. system needs to be "unlocked" to allow use of entry/points while driving (psngr only of course). http://www.coastaletech.com/TOYOTA_LOCKPICKS.htm poss. option
DSC_0040.jpg

Heres some more shots:

third row access is fine for normal adults and hopefully you are just sending your kids back there.
one of the 2nd row slid far forward/normal recline and you can see I am slouching, very comfy sitting position and still have knee room, feet slid forward.
Other shot is of 2nd row slid all the way back/normal recline, it is cramped but ok., great for kids in that pos. I am a normal 5'9" , sz10 guy.
DSC_0019_2.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0023_2.jpg

DSC_0026_2.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

Bling 20" rims??? guess i am stuck with them for now.
DSC_0006.jpg

Shot of XREAS pressure can on outside framerail (one each side)- its nothing as cumbersome as the KDSS on TE but still may have issues with easy bolt on slider fab. Talked with AllProOffroad this AM and may be hooking up with them for some fit tests.
DSC_0008.jpg
DSC_0007.jpg

Last edited:

zidaro

Explorer
Niiiice. Get that thing off the ground a little more and show us what she's made of!

Must recover from DEEP probing received at dealership:Wow1::Wow1:

Seriously though, protection and a roofrack first, then i plan on a mild suspension upgrade when we find the limits of stock and wear out our stock mudders as seen in photos.
AllProOffroad seems energetic about the similarity of the FJ chassis and getting out sliders and skids. I may just take a little roadtrip to the shop and donate my rig for the cause :sombrero: timing is everything

riverrat88

Observer
I do not have experience with the toyota smart key system but if it is anything like GM's it unlocks the vehicle when you are within a certain distance and will start with the key inside of the vehicle and stay running with the key within a short distance. There will typically be multiple sensors to determine where the key is and it will shut down if the key gets out of range.

Willman

Nice buy!

Way to take one for the team!

Can't wait to see some more feedback on this about 5,000K later!

:drool:

zidaro

Explorer
Nice buy!

Way to take one for the team!

Can't wait to see some more feedback on this about 5,000K later!

:drool:

Thanks Wil,
So far so good. gonna try to get a quick Saline Valley trip in soon for a bit of relaxation.:sombrero:

Any word on RoofRacks for this thing yet? I'm interested in an ARB or Bajarack style. Maybe something that removes stock rack hardware/rails and builds from rooftop so ya know it can carry w/o fault.

ldivinag

Adventurer
HMMMM...

the 4x2 model i looked at didnt have 3rd row, but did have a platform thingee in the rear where it slides out and can hold like 400 pounds...

btw, too bad the lexus clone has the cooler tailgate... the hinges are at the right hand side so it swings sideways... and a slight tap at the corner of the window and it pops open... but then at over $20k over than the standard 4runner i was checking out... that's ok.

lol...

zidaro

Explorer
HMMMM...

the 4x2 model i looked at didnt have 3rd row, but did have a platform thingee in the rear where it slides out and can hold like 400 pounds...

btw, too bad the lexus clone has the cooler tailgate... the hinges are at the right hand side so it swings sideways... and a slight tap at the corner of the window and it pops open... but then at over $20k over than the standard 4runner i was checking out... that's ok.

lol...

Definitely personal preference on the swingout gate. we were actually shopping for an '06GX and we stopped in toyota and they had this. The gate is cumbersome to me and requires alot of room to open (think garage). also- flipup gate provides convenient coverage in a rain/snow storm( i live in snow country and find this a big advantage.

Back window on the runner does require you to "push" the small button on outside of gate:sombrero:, but my wife wont break a nail tapping.

Tough decision between the '10T4R vs. GX (used at same ~price).
I think i made the right one. Very happy and looking forward to all the aftermarket support that will start flowing soon, talking to many manufacturers and it should start up soon.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
the dealer tried telling me that all Trail Edition 4Runners were in the $45-50k price range. yeah right!

i think the only way to get an affordable TE model is to build your own and have it shipped to you. i built one online to $37k msrp

There is a mag gray TE near me and it is stickered at 38K. I am very tempted to trade in my truck and DD for it but not sure if it would be a better DD/Expo vehicle over my tacoma. I'm more of a truck guy. They do look good though, the TE IMO.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
How is the frame on these? Fully boxed or hybrid like the Taco and Tundra frames?

Are these still 100% made and assembled in Japan like the FJ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman