"TrailTop" modular trailer topper building components

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Bump for updates

Two days after I posted the last update I took off for Alaska and I haven't gotten home yet, so nothing to update about. Drove up the Alaska Highway through Canada, then up the Dalton Highway to Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay on the Arctic Ocean. Now on the way back down the Alaska Highway to home.

I won't go off-topic by posting lots of travel photos, but here's just one, taken the other day as we crossed Atigun Pass on the Dalton - it was snowing in mid-July up there, I'm not quite an Ice Road Trucker but it almost felt that way :).

AtigunSummit1_zps8d9e783e.jpg

As soon as I get home I'll finish sewing the tilt-up canvas.

bonomonster

Adventurer
Very cool...... Not to go too far off topic, but please do a write up and post the link here when you get back.... My wife and I are planning to see Alaska in 5-6 yrs when the kids are a bit older..... Good luck, be safe, can't wait to see photos...

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Very cool...... Not to go too far off topic, but please do a write up and post the link here when you get back.... My wife and I are planning to see Alaska in 5-6 yrs when the kids are a bit older..... Good luck, be safe, can't wait to see photos...

I've been documenting the trip in the thread about my Safari Cab hardtop project: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/46300-How-would-you-outfit-this-custom-LJ Check the last few weeks of that thread.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm back from my Alaska trip, so I can get back to the sewing project. Today I finished up the seam between the end panel and one of the side panels.

Zippers1_zpsa2a9472c.jpg

Zippers2_zpsdcf7902b.jpg

The panels are secured with a zipper, and a flap with velcro ensures there will be no leaks.

Zippers3_zpsdfe705d8.jpg

Tomorrow I plan to get the other side done, and then I can start on the door and windows.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Today I finished sewing the main shell of the tilt-up.

MainShell1_zps65129178.jpg

MainShell2_zps34d73deb.jpg

MainShell3_zpsfe64bd33.jpg

Next I'll sew the rear door, which will consist of a roll-up solid outer panel and a roll-up screen inner panel. And after that's in place I'll sew the side window assemblies, cut holes for them and sew them in place.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've been asked how the top closes and opens with the pop-up panels in place, so I made two quick videos. Step 1 is to unsnap the sides from the top forward of the gas strut. Once that's unsnapped, pull the retainer strip along the bottom of the panels out from the retainer. Once that's done, gather the panels in a bit so they don't get caught between the top and the tub, and close the top.

In this video, I've already unsnapped/unretained the far side panel to keep the video short and the file size small.

Putting it back up is simple, just open the lid, snap the front portion of the panels to the top, and slide the retainer in place.

The use of the factory Jeep soft top retainers on top of the tub makes this a very easy and quick operation.

screwball48

Explorer
I saw the smile at the end of the first video. It says that was easier than even you were expecting. Very nicely done.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've got the rear door of the tilt-up basically done. The panel is taped to the floor of my sewing room to ensure the dimensions of the opening are exactly the same as they are when the panel is on the trailer. Tomorrow I'll make up the zip-up inner screen and sew it into the doorway.

OuterDoor1_zps8fc616c3.jpg

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Got the rear door panels in place today. First photo shows the outer panel zipped down:

DoorClosed_zps7192024b.jpg

Next the outer panel is rolled up, and the screen panel is down:

DoorOpenScreenClosed_zps61216948.jpg

And in this one the screen is also rolled up and the tailgate is down for entry.

DoorOpenScreenOpen_zpsb7d9569e.jpg

Both the outer panel and the screen panel have double-pull zippers so they can be zipped from inside and outside.

Next I'll put windows in the sides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online