12V Refrigerator Questions

Carl7309

I welcome your make and model suggestions for a chest-style 12-volt compressor refrigerator to put in my overlanding SUV. I'd like to find one that excels in two specific areas: power consumption and insulation quality.

There are far too many to choose from, especially on Amazon...though most of those have unpronounceable nonsensical brand names and probably all come from the same overseas factory. I'd rather pay more for a high-quality unit.

Many of these listings boast of the unit's freezing capability, able to take temps down close to 0°F. But I'll never use it that way; I don't carry frozen foods. I don't want to waste interior space by getting a unit with a separate freezer compartment and I'll never have the need for dual zone temp control. I just need a normal refrigeration function (35-38°F) and a single large compartment to store my fresh produce, deli salads, cold cuts, orange juice, etc. I'm talking about enough food for one person spending 3 to 6 days between grocery store runs. Something around the 48-quart size seems reasonable, but I'm not married to that number. I can go larger or smaller to get the quality and features that I want.

One feature I thought that I wanted was a quiet compressor. That would be nice, but now I'm thinking it's unnecessary. I avoid summer camping by traveling from September through May; the nights are almost always cool if not downright cold. It seems likely that I can unplug the unit each night, saving power and eliminating the noise issue...that is, as long as I can find one that is very well insulated and will bottle in the cold for 8 hours without running. (By the way, I plan to cover the unit with sheets of Reflectix during the day to keep it out of the sun.)

I've never owned one of these units so I'm not sure if one brand or style is better than another when it comes to drawing less power. (Perhaps a well-insulated unit is the real key to using less juice.) Anyway, on my next trip, I'll be running it off the car battery while driving and off my Jackery while I'm parked. Once I find the Suburban I want to buy, I'll run it off the deep-cycle house battery circuit.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on any of these refrigerators that you like or dislike.

Carl

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I've had a few of them, they've all been quiet and have sipped power when in fridge mode. None has failed me yet in any way. ARB's and Snomasters in my case.

Lots of brands out there, probably the most expensive ones will be claimed to be the best. I'd just find the cheapest one that fits my application and doesn't have any obvious chintzy bits that seem like they're just waiting to break

86scotty

Cynic
A lot of the newer Amazon brands are getting to be well proven but to answer your query specifically....
I'd rather pay more for a high-quality unit.
I would recommend:
ARB
Snowmaster
National Luna
Engel
Dometic
Indelb

There are a million of these things out there now. Most of the above brands are going to have an equal and pretty quiet compressor, usually a Secop (formerly Danfoss). In fact almost all have a Secop. There's really not all that much difference in them. They use about the same power. I would recommend you shop more on size and layout (controls and how the door opens) more than on a specific brand amongst these. Everyone has their favorites. Soon the ARB and Dometic disciples will show up and tell you why they are better than other, equal fridges.

dstefan

This ⬆️ @86scotty is right on the money!

I’m not an ARB fan boy, and I can’t make any comparison to any other fridges for you because I’ve only had one. But I can say that my ARB 50 quart fridge is going on 10 years old now and has been banged around in two different trucks in a lot of rough off-road and never missed a beat. I suspect many other brands would have done as well, but I just don’t know.

What I do know is its performance, while always good, improved further, when I put the insulated soft carry case on it and added extra insulation inside the case as well. If you’re planning on turning yours off at night sometimes I would highly recommend doing that.

The other thing that I would highly recommend is making sure that your wiring to the fridge is 10 gauge, which just happens to be the gauge that ARB’s wiring loom is spec’d with. That’s unless you’re planning to plug the fridge directly into your battery or solar generator. The screw-in lock plug that the ARB loom comes with is really nice too. There’s no likelihood that your fridge will come unplugged on a rough road.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’ve owned ARB and Dometic and used both at the same time in different vehicles. I like the ARB lid and latch better and feel like it uses less power, but that was never metered to confirm. You can say fan boy all you want, but I would prefer to think of it as a good pre-purchase investigation. I spent a lot of time thinking about where my $1k was going to go over 10 years ago, and I haven’t regretted it yet. The Dometic crapped out after 5 years, but I’m sure I could fix it if I cared enough. Interestingly, I’ve gone through 2 full-size kitchen fridges at my house in the same time… but the family abuses them I’m sure!

86scotty

Cynic
The other thing that I would highly recommend is making sure that your wiring to the fridge is 10 gauge, which just happens to be the gauge that ARB’s wiring loom is spec’d with. That’s unless you’re planning to plug the fridge directly into your battery or solar generator. The screw-in lock plug that the ARB loom comes with is really nice too. There’s no likelihood that your fridge will come unplugged on a rough road.

THIS! ^^^^ I forgot to mention it. The first thing I do anymore on any fridge is make sure that it has 10g wire supplying it from power source all the way to fridge. This has solved more performance problems for me than anything else. Also, as stated above, a lot of the good brands power plugs are crap. A lot of the bargain brand's power plugs are REAL crap. I hardwire everything. On chest fridges that I might remove some day but rarely do I get creative.

I can't call anyone a disciple, fan boy or otherwise because I am one, though for none of the popular brands. I like Truckfridges, which are made by IndelB, which are now both gone and replaced with the new name 'OFF' Indelb. IndelB is also identical to Isotherm. It's all pretty confusing.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Just one small addendum to @86scotty's excellent info. First is that it's true that most use the Secop/Danfoss and in that regard the significant difference is if it's an actual Danfoss or a copy.

If it's a legitimate one such as the major brands will use then the difference in performance is going to be insulation and sealing. There could be other design decisions, such as where the thermostat is placed, that may have an effect but that's surely marginal.

The Engel (and older ARB that were rebadged Engel) are a completely different compressor. It's a Sawafuji swing line compressor that is very simple, just one moving part. Their consumption can be quite a bit lower than Danfoss. However they can be slightly louder and generally are going to cost more. I have an Engel MT45 and I don't find it loud but you can hear it running at night.

craig333

Expedition Leader
The National Luna is probably the best insulated but its also the most expensive. I'm happy with my Truckfridge.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
depending on if you live in a major metro area or are close I would search Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist using 12v fridge or camping fridge or dometic or norcold.
So many people have gotten into and then back out of "overlanding" I have been picking up small fridges at cheap prices and then passing them on to fridges, relatives when they get the bug.
I got an older Norcold (same as old Engel and ARB) for $150 not to long ago.

Scrib

Observer
Since you have a Jackery, I can add that I run my ARB Classic 37qt with a Goal Zero 200x plugged into a 12v socket (limited to 5 amps max) and either 50W solar or just the Goal Zero, when I'm parked. These (at least the ARB Classic) are insulated so well that it does not run that much, even in 80-degree weather. The little Goal Zero runs it all night with ease.

Carl7309

A lot of great info here that's all news to me. Thanks very much, everyone! I appreciate all of your suggestions. This should make the shopping process a lot easier for me.

pluton

Adventurer
"The Engel (and older ARB that were rebadged Engel) are a completely different compressor. It's a Sawafuji swing line compressor that is very simple, just one moving part. Their consumption can be quite a bit lower than Danfoss"
Endorse. My 10-year-old Engel MT45 uses about 35-40 watts when it runs. That's low. I'm perfectly happy without smartphone controller apps and bluetooth thermometers. You set the Engel to about 1.5 on the dial and it keeps the food/drink right about 40ºF. I'd buy another Engel.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior