12V Refrigerator Questions

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
I welcome your make and model suggestions for a chest-style 12-volt compressor refrigerator to put in my overlanding SUV. I'd like to find one that excels in two specific areas: power consumption and insulation quality.
Build your own.
Buy a remote compressor and an evaporator and build an insulated box which can be any shape and with as much top quality insulation as you wish.
I did this for a deep freezer that I built under a seat in our vehicle 20 years ago using a Danfoss/Seecop compressor (which are variable speed and have much better efficiency when run at lower speeds).
The compressor/condenser is alongside the cooled space and the cooling air dries the tea towels.
Choose a thermostat for the temperature range that you wish to run it at.
DV00300.jpgDV00304.jpg
ps... the current draw is not so important, it is the duty cycle at the running current that determines the total energy consumption and the quality of the insulation is critical to reducing that.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Last edited:

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
1 The 12V / non-propane fridges should work fine without levelling
2 No but you do want to make sure their venting is clear / they can breathe
3 See earlier in this thread, lots of brands and price ranges, they're all more similar than different

A propane fridge is meant to be run off of propane, the 120v option on mine pulled 600w iirc when I tested it. That'll crush your batteries and solar if you run it off of 12v or inverted 12v and only makes sense if you have shore power imo

dstefan

I spoke with Dometic who stated that their refrigerators (a) only work when parked level, and (b) require 110V (or propane) to reach the desired temperature, then 12V to maintain that temperature, and (c) only work when level. With no 12V-only option, Dometic is out.
Unless you are talking about a very specific model or spec, this is 100% not true. Just Google 12v Dometic fridge or go to their website and you will see many 12v non-propane fridges. AFAIK most the major 12v fridges can switch automatically from 12v to 120 when available. At least my 10 yo ARB does.

Stay away from the 3 way RV fridges. Top opening chest fridges are the most effecient due to the cold air not rushing out the top vs an upright fridge door.

Last edited:

craig333

Expedition Leader
As far as venting it depends on what kind of conditions you camp in. If you camp in hot conditions I think a powered vent is just about mandatory. If its level enough for me to sleep its level enough for the fridge.

86scotty

Cynic
I've been investigating 12V refrigerators for my DIY Sprinter conversion. I spoke with Dometic who stated that their refrigerators (a) only work when parked level, and (b) require 110V (or propane) to reach the desired temperature, then 12V to maintain that temperature, and (c) only work when level. With no 12V-only option, Dometic is out.

Norcold has a 12V-only option (e.g., DE/DC-0751), and in speaking with them, they state that (a) they only work when level, and (b) they need to be vented to the outside. Quoting from the Sportsmobile web site, "[Norcold] electric refrigerators use a quiet hermetically-sealed compressor. There's no need to park level — up to 30°. The amperage draw is quite low with improved cooling performance in higher ambient temperatures. They cool down fast, there's virtually no maintenance and no outside vents."

I'm assuming that the Sportsmobile folks know what they're talking about, but it is totally contradicted by the Norcold representative.

So, what's the real answer to these questions:

(1) Will these refrigerators work up to 30°, or do I need to park relatively level?
(2) Do 12V-only refrigerators require outside venting?
(3) Are there other brands of refrigerators that I should consider (aside from Norcold) that are 12V-only, don't need to be vented, and will work at an angle?

If you didn't understand the replies above there have basically been two types of RV fridges throughout history, 3 way (propane/AC/DC) and more recently 12v. In this thread we are discussing 12v fridges only, or have been so far, since no one except travel trailer/motorhome folks really uses 3 way fridges anymore.

If you talked to Dometic and they were giving you advice about 3 way fridges then you must've been talking to someone who is at least 70 years old and has been out of the office for the last 10 years. As stated above Dometic makes lots of 12v compressor fridges nowadays. They work at any angle you can stand to park your rig at and only need to be vented around the fan, plainly obvious at the bottom of the fridge case.

Norcold is also an older company and used to, maybe still does, make 3 ways. You don't want one though. They don't call them No-cold's for nothing. They also make 12v only which are loud, finnicky and generally worthless. These came in Sportsmobile conversions for a long time, maybe they still do.

It can't be assumed that Sportsmobile people (I think you mean actual company employees) know what they are talking about. Just because they've been around forever doesn't mean they use quality components or update any of their designs, hardware or appliances more than every.............hmmmm, well, they have never updated their designs, hardware or appliances that I know of. They'd love to sell you a $200k Sprinter with lots of old tech in it though.

Good luck.

dstefan

Not pushing Dometic in anyway, but saw they have a Labor day sale with a pretty significant discount on a 55 liter model. Just FYI

jim65wagon

We've got an older version of this Norcold. Ours is the DE751 and they replaced it with the NR751.

We've had it hard wired in our teardrop for 11 years now and it has worked efficiently, quietly and effectively. I have zero complaints with it.

We've towed the teardrop over 50,000 miles of roads, backroad, washboards, forest roads, across blm lands etc. Including one 13 month trip where it never stopped running and kept the food chill even in 100 degree heat.

Norcold Nr751Bb Dc Refer 2.7 Cu Ft, Black https://a.co/d/18qDkZL

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I like the Engel brand 12 volt refrigs for their energy efficiency and durability. I run one in a UZJ100 Land Cruiser in the Southwest USA on trips.

Consider buying an older used 12v frig to "play around with." NorCold is a top brand to look for on Craigslist, OfferUp, etc.

Vinman

Observer
"The Engel (and older ARB that were rebadged Engel) are a completely different compressor. It's a Sawafuji swing line compressor that is very simple, just one moving part. Their consumption can be quite a bit lower than Danfoss"
Endorse. My 10-year-old Engel MT45 uses about 35-40 watts when it runs. That's low. I'm perfectly happy without smartphone controller apps and bluetooth thermometers. You set the Engel to about 1.5 on the dial and it keeps the food/drink right about 40ºF. I'd buy another Engel.
Same experiences with my 20 year old Engel thats been running approximately 90% of the time since new.
Set it at 1.5 and let it do it’s thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior