Latest Photo?

ashooter

Adventurer
Just got her back from the paint shop. Once I get new tires and an ARB roo bar, she'll be done!

TanSuzy2.jpg

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
ashooter said:
Just got her back from the paint shop. Once I get new tires and an ARB roo bar, she'll be done!

TanSuzy2.jpg

Wow, That looks great. A couple questions:

Did they pull the mirrors and door handles and paint them separately or not?
Did they pull the glass and lights or mask around?
Did they paint the door jambs?
What color was it before?
What color is your interior?
Were there any body repairs included?
And if you don't mind, what was the ballpark cost?

Thanks,
Dave

ashooter

Adventurer
MoGas said:
Wow, That looks great. A couple questions:

Did they pull the mirrors and door handles and paint them separately or not?
Did they pull the glass and lights or mask around?
Did they paint the door jambs?
What color was it before?
What color is your interior?
Were there any body repairs included?
And if you don't mind, what was the ballpark cost?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

I did all the prep work - Pulled the roof rack/ribs & flares, patched all the holes with Devcon Plastic Steel putty, then sanded the whole truck with 220 & 400 grit to get the old oxidized clearcoat and base coat down to something paintable. I then masked it and sprayed 3M "rocker panel spray" over the lower part of the sides to cover up my flare hole patch jobs, similar to what a lot of guys have done with Line-X or Rhino.

So when I took it to the paint shop, I just had them mask the windows, lights, etc and spray it. I didn't want to spend a LOT of money on it, so when you open the doors, hood, tailgate, etc, you still see the old paint underneath. I can always touch that up by hand later if I decide it bothers me.

Cost breakdown was as follows:

$100+/- Sandpaper, sanding block, masking tape, etc
$ 95+/- three cans of 3M Rocker Panel Spray
$ 25+/- :beer: for the 40+ hours of sweat I put into the prep work
$350 Paint and body shop

When I first called the body shop, he guesstimated $1500-$2000 if he did ALL the work and did it 100%.

My under $600 job is close enough for me! :D

I do still have some buffing to do to make the final finish "new car smooth", but I have to let the paint cure for 3-4 weeks first.

BTW - it was 4K1 "beige" originally. Below is a pic taken just before I started prepping for the paint job.
daddydrive.jpg

Last edited:

ashooter

Adventurer
MoGas said:
What color is your interior?...

The interior is sort of tan/brown leather seats and brown dash etc. Honestly "416 Beige" or maybe "4e9 Beige" would have matched the interior better. My interior and 416 Beige both have a lot of gray in them, but the color I had my truck painted is more yellowish.

ashooter

Adventurer
anthonycds said:
Looks great ashooter! Same color as kcowyo's 60? Great color for a Cruiser!
What tires are you going with?

That's the color I was looking for!

Tires I'm considering are Toyo M/T or M-55, either will have to be in 255/85R16. ;)

Right now I'm leaning toward the M-55, but if my local guy can get M/T's, I might go that route.

anthonycds

Adventurer
ashooter said:
That's the color I was looking for!

Tires I'm considering are Toyo M/T or M-55, either will have to be in 255/85R16. ;)

Right now I'm leaning toward the M-55, but if my local guy can get M/T's, I might go that route.

Yeh, great choice in color. kcowyo takes great pics, and the color of his rig i think is a major factor of that.

Nice choice in tires. I'm running Revos now and also plan on going with Toyo M/T's when the time comes. Hope your guy can get em!

Fantom

Observer
This was one week ago on a scouting trip for the Cruiser Days trip we are doing after the "show shine" (more like show and rust :sombrero: ). East of Harrison Lake on Cogburn FSR south, B.C., at over 1400m, and there is still snow there. We are heading up there again this weekend. Robert took the picture. As for more info on Cruiser Days : IH8MUD or Coastal Cruisers.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
ChuckB said:
Desert tan 80's are sweet!!
:iagree:

Nicely done ashooter.

You gonna black out that grill? Should work well together with the black rims.

I still need to tint my windows.....:removeredX:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior