A little overwhelming...

Ray_G

Explorer
RTT on a stock truck...hell RTT on an East Coast truck is a bit overkill in my opinion. They have their place-I'm just not sure its where we live (or where you live, and where I come back to).

If you are looking for a slick setup consider a double tent cot + a mattress. It CRUSHES your interior volume space but is nice when you set up camp and are off the ground on a big comfy mattress. I'm not sold on it 100% but it is nice for out here when I want to be out of the sand and I think it has some RTT like upsides without having a stupid high COG on the truck. In truth just get a good tent and some good sleeping mats & bags and you'll be fine (or sleep inside the truck, the LR3 can do that fine unless you are super tall)

I second LRMax's comments about the Optima...10 years ago they were awesome, now-horrible.
r-
Ray

Jwestpro

Explorer
Micro-start. That is what I'm thinking of. Besides wheeling and generally having a nice way to charge cell phones in the field, its useful outside of this application.

For keeping stuff cool, a normal cooler full of ice is fine for an overnighter. Especially since its starting to cool off in the evenings. This is cheaper than going full stupid with a fancy cooler/fridge.

Yes. Gloves. I wouldn't worry about Mattrax just yet. Normally a handy log off to the side of the trail works too.

"stupid" ? Yes, you do sound like someone who would suggest depending on ice in the middle of nowhere ;) Ignorance is bliss until you push it onto someone else. Everyone knows about coolers and ice. I offer up ideas that someone may not have come with as obviously so that they might choose what works best for their own purposes.

A 2nd battery is one of the cheapest and most useful things for anyone on trips longer than a weekend or "overnight". Not everyone packs up and drives off each day. This doesn't mean "sitting in camp" either. There are people who will set up for a week or more in one spot using their feet, bicycles, or motorcycles, or boats, etc from the camp site. I've had my share of camping without cold things, even plenty of time without a way to cook, so now I prefer to have cold beer, eggs, yogurt, etc.

You lump "racks" into "bling" which is ridiculous if someone needs a rack for a purpose. No, I don't mean a basket to haul leaky gear bags or a place to put the tire because it "might" be tough to get out from underneath, I mean an actual rack for various uses like mounting an awning or for standing on top of. I USE my rack a lot.

1-photo tripod platform (a 3/4 section of plywood would do the trick supported by two cross members similar to Ansel Adams wagon set up)
2-hauling ladders (only ladders would be easy enough on 2 cross bars but less easy to climb up for strapping them down via ratchet straps)
3-mounting side awnings which are fantastic for camp sites in rain or even intense sun.

Is that "bling", no, it's not a light bar on a vehicle with incredible xenon lights. It's not even a front or rear steel bumper bling level, it's not even winch bling level. A rack is one of the most useful things a Land Rover could have if a person uses it.

Quit being so closed minded. It's a lot more fun to be open minded.

Jwestpro

Explorer
RTT on a stock truck...hell RTT on an East Coast truck is a bit overkill in my opinion. They have their place-I'm just not sure its where we live (or where you live, and where I come back to).

If you are looking for a slick setup consider a double tent cot + a mattress. It CRUSHES your interior volume space but is nice when you set up camp and are off the ground on a big comfy mattress. I'm not sold on it 100% but it is nice for out here when I want to be out of the sand and I think it has some RTT like upsides without having a stupid high COG on the truck. In truth just get a good tent and some good sleeping mats & bags and you'll be fine (or sleep inside the truck, the LR3 can do that fine unless you are super tall)

I second LRMax's comments about the Optima...10 years ago they were awesome, now-horrible.
r-
Ray

2nd on the battery. I used Optima for years and then the replacements or ones going into next vehicle just started dying too quickly. So far one of my Odessey is showing strong numbers 7 years on.

The vehicle mounted awning has pros and cons too. It's only usable right there beside it so you wouldn't be able to sleep near a nice stream or away from the parking spot in places where the parking is not as nice, like many camp grounds or even if the national forest terrain is not conducive. Being able to camp away from the vehicle has it's merits. However, rolling out my Hannibal awnings for either cooking at the rear or setting up a mtn bike service area on the side, or eating table on the side, or cot sleeping, is awesome when it works out.

For under awning cot camping, there are bug net "tents" you can string up from the awning frame itself. Companies like ARB has a kit specific to their awning but I got a much cheaper solution at REI that can string up under anything or even just to trees. It's nice for places really buggy like northern MN, New England, or even NC in the summer.

I'd put these "fancy" things, ahead of bumpers, winches, sliders, plating, because the vehicle is so capable off the lot but these things can transform how functional the vehicle becomes.

JackW

Explorer
If you can round up or borrow some basic camping gear this month you might want to check out the Overland Expo in Asheville over the first weekend of October.
You'll get to see the whole world of what is available and there will be a special Land Rover camping area right near the front of the campground where you can be welcomed into the fold.

One day at Overland Expo will answer more questions than you can think of right now - including at least seven different answers from every five people you ask.

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
I just heard about that the other day. Of course it's the same weekend we're in Boulder for a wedding... Ugggh (yeah we're still youngish).

But it is neat that this only the 2nd year for Overland Expo East (I think I read that somewhere). it'll be circled on next year's calendar!

A.J.M

Explorer
Congrads on the new car.

Firstly, i would get it checked out, it's 9 years old, they are heavy and they do have common wear points that need to get checked out.
Get the car up to scratch before going for modifications, no point sinking a cash into tyres, racks etc when the car needs a service and the bushes sorted.

I would get a roof rack, various ones are available. I have the OEM one, today it's taken 6 doors and part of a fence away to the recycling yard in 2 trips along with lots of other rubbish inside the car.

IID tool. Get one. It reads fault codes, unlocks the hidden features of the car, and can raise/lower the suspension etc.

Tyres. That depends on your needs and uses, don't go mental with massive mud tyres if you don't need them. Keep it to your own needs.

Training. I would advise getting training for getting the most out of the 3. The terrain response is a great tool in the right hands and along with the traction control.

Otherwise, get out in it, drive it, learn it's character as ALL land rovers have character, ( not all good, some can be total arseholes ) join your local club, meet other 3 owners and kick the tyres, get ideas and go from there.

jhawk

Adventurer
I have one of these and pretty much camp/hunt out of the back of mine.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-SUV-Air-Bed/5646056

r-
Ray

Jwestpro

Explorer
Jwestpro, any pics of your setup with awnings deployed? Or of your rig in general?

I'll try. Recently haven't been able to post photos here.

At a 3 day music fest. Rained each afternoon/night. Awnings especially nice here for privacy and cooking in the rain. Shown with the 3 part side walls which are 3 separate zippered sides so you can choose any combination of the 3. The flat roof catches water...annoying until you realize that you can then easily collect it for washing.

The rack also makes for a nice viewing platform or deck ;)

awning-tents.sasquatch.jpg

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
Ignore all the "bling". .

This is just for you, but because I respect you as a fellow LR purist, be warned to finish your coffee or chewing anything so you don't choke upon opening this link....

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...archRadius=0&showcaseListingId=400654696&mmt=[ROV[LR3[]][]]&listingId=404814407&Log=0

if that link doesn't work:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=85003&endYear=2016&modelCode1=LR3&showcaseOwnerId=73009&startYear=1981&makeCode1=ROV&searchRadius=0&showcaseListingId=400654696&mmt=[ROV[LR3[]][]]&listingId=404814407&Log=0

My favorite part is the driver side fender vent to nowhere.

Last edited:

zelatore

Explorer
For tire size here's a good starting point, courtesy of our own Nwoods
https://lr3tips.wordpress.com/2007/03/14/46/

I personally run a 275/65-18 now and plan to change to 275/70-18 this fall. YES, I HAD TO MOD TO FIT. If you're adverse to cutting on your truck, stay to 31.5" diameter or less. You may have a tiny bit of rubbing with a 265/65-18 but it shouldn't be an issue and is easily dealt with if it bothers you.

Tires are like religion or politics...so many personal preferences based on so many variables. In general any good AT tire should be good for you. You will want to look for a tire with sufficient load rating. While many of us with built-up rigs run E rated tires this won't be necessary for a more stock truck like you're planning. D should be fine. For specific recommendations it will be best to talk with some local guys to get a feel for what they like in your terrain. I happen to be running Goodyear Duratracs right now and they're great in snow/wet and good everywhere else but not strong enough in the rocks - and I like to pretend I'm a rock crawler so I'm going to something tougher and more aggressive next time. If you haven't read it already, here's a good starting point for AT tires:
http://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

I do have a roof rack, an Urban Offroad Exodus Series Platform Full (wow that's a mouthful). I picked it as he's based in CA as am I so shipping was easier but mostly because I wanted a very low profile rack. The Frontrunner you're looking at is a very nice piece and also very low profile plus they have many accessories for it should you want them. I however preferred a more traditional tubular look instead of the more high-tech aluminum look of the Frontrunner.

I don't think you'll need a jerry can. I do have one, as well as a spare tire mount, on a custom built rear bumper. But again, horses for courses - I've been known to drag that big 'ol but off rock ledges so a welded on steel bumper was high on my list as was getting the spare tire out from under the truck and having room for a larger spare. And here in the west we have more long trails where you can go days without a fuel stop. Heck, for our OR Back Country Discovery Route trip earlier this year I had my jerry can full plus another 3 gallons on the roof rack in the form of a small outboard motor tank strapped down. I used nearly all of it too. FWIW, if you do end up running some trails that will need extra fuel I think the outboard motor tank on the rack is about the cheapest/easiest way to go. You can pick one up used in 3 to 6 gallons from craigslist pretty cheaply and get a super-syphon to transfer fuel without having to make a mess.

RTT vs Ground tent is another big debate. I ended up going with an Oztent RV4 myself - picked it up at Overland Expo west last year as a demo model and I've put quite a few nights in it since from 15* to 90*. It's big and heavy and expensive though, so while I like it I don't know that I'd recommend it as your first tent. You might want to consider something a bit less heavy to start with, but do look at a decent product. People here like to bash them but if you have an REI in your area they offer a pretty good selection of tents and the staff are generally knowledgeable and helpful. Heck, they've let me set up a tent I was interested in right in the store. My 'lightweight' car-camping tent is an REI Hobitat though I think it has been discontinued now. I personally like the idea of a RTT for quick up/down, but don't like the mass up high, having to go up/down the ladder, and lack of standing headroom. Not to mention I'd probably damage it by leaning into a tree or rock.

I'll second (third?) what others have said about Optima batteries. Once good, now questionable. Odyssey, Trojan, Lifeline are all brands I like. Of note, the Sears Diehard Platinum marine AGM batteries are Odysseys re-badged. I think the stock size is a group 94, but there are options for fitting a bigger battery. Although if you go with a dual battery setup I would just keep the original size in the stock location.

One other thing worth having is a portable compressor to inflate your tires. You'll find you're changing your tire pressures regularly when off road vs on road and a way to re-inflate tires is really useful. I used to run a Viair 400C (still have it) and was happy with it but more recently went with onboard air using a Viair dual 300C system under the hood. While not super fast, the basic MV50 compressor is a very inexpensive and popular option. Less than $60 on Amazon. While your at it, a good tire plug kit would be a good thing to have on hand too.

zelatore

Explorer
This is just for you, but because I respect you as a fellow LR purist, be warned to finish your coffee or chewing anything so you don't choke upon opening this link....

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...archRadius=0&showcaseListingId=400654696&mmt=[ROV[LR3[]][]]&listingId=404814407&Log=0

if that link doesn't work:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=85003&endYear=2016&modelCode1=LR3&showcaseOwnerId=73009&startYear=1981&makeCode1=ROV&searchRadius=0&showcaseListingId=400654696&mmt=[ROV[LR3[]][]]&listingId=404814407&Log=0

My favorite part is the driver side fender vent to nowhere.

"million dollar design"

My first thought - wow, a million sure doesn't go far these days....

It's clean and has low miles. I'll give 'em $8K if they take off the extra chrome do-dads.

Jwestpro

Explorer
"million dollar design"

My first thought - wow, a million sure doesn't go far these days....

It's clean and has low miles. I'll give 'em $8K if they take off the extra chrome do-dads.

Even then you'd still need to spend $2500 on proper wheels and tires!

LR Max

Local Oaf
I'd wheel the crap out of that thing. And I'd be blasting rap music the entire time. Actually slap some normal people wheels and tires on that and go.

Roof racks and all that blind is nice. However you don't need any of that to go camping in a national forest at a pay side for one night. Yes a fridge freezer is awesome for 3+ days but a normal cooler can get you by for a day.

Also like myself, he lives here in the city. A roof rack is more of a hassle than a benefit. With parking garage limits everywhere and low garages, it doesn't make much sense.

Maybe one day all of that stuff will be good to have. But to begin, it's just another expensive thing that will be bought and take funds away from getting the vehicle in top mechanical condition.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Reading post on Expedition Portal I sometimes wonder how Bev and I camped out of a Scout with a 6 month old and 3 year old............

And that was wheelin down Colorado gulches to campsites with friends, tent in back and a Coleman stove/cooler. Budget must have been $200 in gear for the summer + gas?

Keep in mind your not out to impress anyone. Do diligence on maintenance (skip the upgrades) and low cost / craiglist works just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior