A little overwhelming...

LR Max

Local Oaf
^And I bet ya'll had the time of your lives. That is what I'm talkinn about. Having a good time and not breaking the bank.

Maybe one day, but not right now.

Campndad

Essayons!!
e3685b5e363008b33637a0fe55116d47.jpg

Here is my 06. I am using cooper zeon's and they are great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zelatore

Explorer
Reading post on Expedition Portal I sometimes wonder how Bev and I camped out of a Scout with a 6 month old and 3 year old............

And that was wheelin down Colorado gulches to campsites with friends, tent in back and a Coleman stove/cooler. Budget must have been $200 in gear for the summer + gas?

Keep in mind your not out to impress anyone. Do diligence on maintenance (skip the upgrades) and low cost / craiglist works just fine.

You did read this thread, right? The whole theme here has been keep it simple and don't spend a lot of money on extras. Use the rig and get a feel for it then make upgrades based on personal experience.

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Thanks for your input. Guess the first thing I'm doing when I get I actually get the truck next week is taking it to The Shop and let them work their magic. I hope that given how well the vehicle seems to have been cared for thus far, coupled with staying on top of maintenance items from here on out will give my family and I a fun rig for years and miles to come.

Assuming I don't have to spend a small fortune on getting it up to speed, I believe I'll order the IID tool and get some good 4x4 training for the LR3. Especially while I wait to find a good set of 18" wheels. While aesthetics are not my number #1 goal, I do love how these trucks look with off-road tires a small lift.

Need more time to research the roof rack options, as well as which tent setup will work best for us.

Thanks AJM

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
I'll try. Recently haven't been able to post photos here.

At a 3 day music fest. Rained each afternoon/night. Awnings especially nice here for privacy and cooking in the rain. Shown with the 3 part side walls which are 3 separate zippered sides so you can choose any combination of the 3. The flat roof catches water...annoying until you realize that you can then easily collect it for washing.

The rack also makes for a nice viewing platform or deck ;)

View attachment 302396

Very cool Jwest. Looks like quite a setup. Hope the rest of the music festival is less wet and more loud. :victory:

DVD

Adventurer
Had to laugh thinking of the life this thread has taken and the thread title. If you were "a little overwhelmed" before, you should probably now change to title to "Majorly overwhelmed :)

Lots of good advice and some conflicting opinions. My opinion and approach was to have an idea of what the options are but get started camping/exploring in more or less stock form and then add gear based on specific needs or what would make the experience better.

We started camping primarily in the back of the LR3. A double air mattress fits.
2AK73CAvXmjWB4gA1aAp9KcUeX245AHzaX6Pmo-bdkQu=w683-h512-no

I kept an eye out for 18 rims and found some on CL eventually. In order to get 5 I had to buy one set of 4 and another of 3. Then I sold the extra 2 and my 19s and came out pretty much even. One of the guys in the club told me to keep an extra in case I broke one, but 3 yrs later, they're still all fine. And you can fit a 265 65 18 underneath, with a bit of effort.
x3CDRwVgbcOoaeFhJwYkgrSAu4SR7E5PCGgzhnXl9lju-Isi0xijwu-6trBt74ZoVWoj2FfpfqFH3xSjYpQMOXyNOZlczOzjklOQorXChGg76BNeU8Wk343nMynV-_Dkgco_1K_uw23Ecj0J_QBKEknvJmxPvjIPJVmulmaUL2PSnFfkZGPc5s9JfvntS9rimnnnrc4GSNvTtJ-2KeN73OfMqHD9M0gsp-sFyvVhRme9fBCSKYtaYYz9iTGVJtx6i85qmRMIdHKEC1nmQ_mcVfYdjYcfJtjY3bYugTFHjWI4fLcMOK6KRE9v7nRHZVF54odpETBy_2B2t7bQNZyXuKGo8mRxhw6fujuGTEh6MFW0y_tht7Sw_8o5FYA50_yKXFhiqUZdTh0DxeyYOFP2z4ab28u1fdcfSE2TE9iGkf5A9B6Pj7HpB3aEGJa6HCiheLP8KJ04lJwOYLMpWQ33oIlXmqtbzT_vNfcf2AhlwdppG9qYTmihAPdhKW-QToYb8BQSdPhJjDR6CyAFTo9uwDA=w362-h642-no

Good luck and have fun with it. Ours has given us good service and many great adventures.

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Don't stress man, you'll figure it out.

Jim

Not in full stress mode yet, haha just anxious to get my hands on the truck and get out in nature. Im finally at a place in life (job stability and financially) where I can take some risks in exploring not just the world around me, but also new hobbies. Looking forward to this chapter, no matter what it brings.

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Had to laugh thinking of the life this thread has taken and the thread title. If you were "a little overwhelmed" before, you should probably now change to title to "Majorly overwhelmed :)

Lots of good advice and some conflicting opinions. My opinion and approach was to have an idea of what the options are but get started camping/exploring in more or less stock form and then add gear based on specific needs or what would make the experience better.

We started camping primarily in the back of the LR3. A double air mattress fits.
2AK73CAvXmjWB4gA1aAp9KcUeX245AHzaX6Pmo-bdkQu=w683-h512-no

I kept an eye out for 18 rims and found some on CL eventually. In order to get 5 I had to buy one set of 4 and another of 3. Then I sold the extra 2 and my 19s and came out pretty much even. One of the guys in the club told me to keep an extra in case I broke one, but 3 yrs later, they're still all fine. And you can fit a 265 65 18 underneath, with a bit of effort.
x3CDRwVgbcOoaeFhJwYkgrSAu4SR7E5PCGgzhnXl9lju-Isi0xijwu-6trBt74ZoVWoj2FfpfqFH3xSjYpQMOXyNOZlczOzjklOQorXChGg76BNeU8Wk343nMynV-_Dkgco_1K_uw23Ecj0J_QBKEknvJmxPvjIPJVmulmaUL2PSnFfkZGPc5s9JfvntS9rimnnnrc4GSNvTtJ-2KeN73OfMqHD9M0gsp-sFyvVhRme9fBCSKYtaYYz9iTGVJtx6i85qmRMIdHKEC1nmQ_mcVfYdjYcfJtjY3bYugTFHjWI4fLcMOK6KRE9v7nRHZVF54odpETBy_2B2t7bQNZyXuKGo8mRxhw6fujuGTEh6MFW0y_tht7Sw_8o5FYA50_yKXFhiqUZdTh0DxeyYOFP2z4ab28u1fdcfSE2TE9iGkf5A9B6Pj7HpB3aEGJa6HCiheLP8KJ04lJwOYLMpWQ33oIlXmqtbzT_vNfcf2AhlwdppG9qYTmihAPdhKW-QToYb8BQSdPhJjDR6CyAFTo9uwDA=w362-h642-no

Good luck and have fun with it. Ours has given us good service and many great adventures.

Glad to hear you've had such a good experience with your LR3. My simple brain loves the idea of folding all the seats down and sleeping in it, but I doubt I could convince the wife of this. Mainly because of our 16 month old son. But who knows, its a worth a shot. Ya know, I'm feeling way less overwhelmed than when I first posted this. Yeah there are some conflicting opinions, but that's good. It allows me to look at the options and make the best decision I can (whether that's now or later). Whats been the most helpful is seeing the commonalities from you guys. There are some things that seem like absolute slam dunks. Easy enough to start with what I've got and modify as we get more experience with all of this. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you, and becoming more involved with the LR and ExPo community. You guys kick ***!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Such great responses! I thought I'd play along as well.

1. Tires - get a second hand set of stock 18's and then get whatever tire you want. Anything you choose will be better than the GoodForOneYear Wrangler HP's put on by the factory. Yes, 285/65/18 tires rub ever so slightly. Anything larger than 31" will rub on occasion.

2. Tire related tools! You need a portable air compressor. If you get one that is a compressor, flashlight and emergency radio, you will be banned for life from this forum. Get an MV-50 air compressor for under $100, or get a decent Viair, MaxAir, etc..... Get an ARB tire repair kit. Toss away the scissor jack and get a proper bottle jack. Clamp it down in the left (driver side) rear storage area.

3. A new battery. Not a second one. Just get an Interstate or Sears Diehard Platinum Group 31. LR3's are VERY sensitive to battery health. Plan on a new one every 3 years or so, just because.

4. A proper iPod connector set up. Not the cheesy low gain high impedance aux port on the back of the console. I really like GROM units.

5. You might value the dog barrier / cargo barrier to separate your gear from your family in the event of a emergency stop. However, installing one prohibits you from sleeping in the back, which is really handy and quite comfy, even for a 6'-7" guy like me.
IMG_3229-L.jpg

6. Gap IID tool. Half the cost of the Faultmate, more functions, easier to use, much better mfr support. Works via bluetooth with your iPhone! Will save you lots of money over time of ownership, and instills great piece of mind.

7. First aid kit that stays in the rig. I like this one: http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/medical-kits/grizzly-1.html

8. Now you are ready to think about recovery gear, shackles, tow straps, gloves, fire extinguishers, etc... Your local club will help with this.

9. FRS radios. Just get them, you won't regret it. Lots of uses. Then think about proper comm gear such as HAM or a simple CB like the WRX-75 that fits under the seat

10. Okay, you are now ready to go learn how to offroad, with a fair degree of safety and capability. If you love and want to do it more, start thinking about rock sliders, skid plates, and the like.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Very cool Jwest. Looks like quite a setup. Hope the rest of the music festival is less wet and more loud. :victory:

Ha, that was 2008 I think. Went two more times, second time used the roof tent which is perfect for 4 days set up in one spot. One of the cool things about being up higher is the breeze.

I have been considering a super simple and lightweight idea using a narrow backpacking tent on a platform. It would be so light weight, no wind drag seeing as packed inside when not in use, and obviously double as the tent for ground camping.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
^And I bet ya'll had the time of your lives. That is what I'm talkinn about. Having a good time and not breaking the bank.

Maybe one day, but not right now.

Lots of great memories. Kids grew up camping, around a fire. Not in front of a TV. Looking back, all on the cheap.

As for RTT's, not in Colorado/West! You DO NOT want to move your CG higher.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
LOL, I'm replying to my own post, but I wanted to amplify a key item on this. We've all given good advice on ways to set yourself up to explore safely, but none of it is essential to simply go off road and have a bit of adventure. I have led many, many trail runs with folks with bone stock LR3's way, way out into the boonies, and they were all totally fine. Its important to stress that I have all the gear onboard my own rig that they would ever need, and that I am there to spot them through every obstacle, and to guide and educate them on low impact driving methods.

The point being, if you go out with experienced and well equipped travel partners, you don't really need anything other than a full size spare tire, some water, and an open mind. Seek out those opportunities, get some experience under your belt, then go shopping with a better understanding of why you need/want various gear related items.

Bone stock, and having a blast on one my previous training runs:
Cleghorn-2015-HCF-02-X3.jpg

Such great responses! I thought I'd play along as well.

1. Tires - get a second hand set of stock 18's and then get whatever tire you want. Anything you choose will be better than the GoodForOneYear Wrangler HP's put on by the factory. Yes, 285/65/18 tires rub ever so slightly. Anything larger than 31" will rub on occasion.

2. Tire related tools! You need a portable air compressor. If you get one that is a compressor, flashlight and emergency radio, you will be banned for life from this forum. Get an MV-50 air compressor for under $100, or get a decent Viair, MaxAir, etc..... Get an ARB tire repair kit. Toss away the scissor jack and get a proper bottle jack. Clamp it down in the left (driver side) rear storage area.

3. A new battery. Not a second one. Just get an Interstate or Sears Diehard Platinum Group 31. LR3's are VERY sensitive to battery health. Plan on a new one every 3 years or so, just because.

4. A proper iPod connector set up. Not the cheesy low gain high impedance aux port on the back of the console. I really like GROM units.

5. You might value the dog barrier / cargo barrier to separate your gear from your family in the event of a emergency stop. However, installing one prohibits you from sleeping in the back, which is really handy and quite comfy, even for a 6'-7" guy like me.
IMG_3229-L.jpg

6. Gap IID tool. Half the cost of the Faultmate, more functions, easier to use, much better mfr support. Works via bluetooth with your iPhone! Will save you lots of money over time of ownership, and instills great piece of mind.

7. First aid kit that stays in the rig. I like this one: http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/medical-kits/grizzly-1.html

8. Now you are ready to think about recovery gear, shackles, tow straps, gloves, fire extinguishers, etc... Your local club will help with this.

9. FRS radios. Just get them, you won't regret it. Lots of uses. Then think about proper comm gear such as HAM or a simple CB like the WRX-75 that fits under the seat

10. Okay, you are now ready to go learn how to offroad, with a fair degree of safety and capability. If you love and want to do it more, start thinking about rock sliders, skid plates, and the like.

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and insights NWoods. As well as the link to the pics. Looks like a great time was had by all!

It's looking like I may get the truck on Monday instead of Wednesday as originally planned. With that said, I hope to get it up to The Shop and let them work some magic on it asap. Earlier in the thread, Don mentioned base-lineing all of the fluids, front LCA bushings, ARB bushings, brakes, coolant, battery, etc. Would you guys be able to help edit my initial list of things to have them check on, fix, repair/replace? I'll compare this list with all of the owner records once I get them, to determine what is vital to update now.

- Fluids (all fluids, are some more important than others given the mileage?)
- Bushings, front and rear
- brakes
- coolant
- battery
- EAS compressor? Is this "checkable?"
- Timing Belt/Chain?
- Any other specific LR3, common failure parts/systems given the mileage?
- misc?

Also, this is more in line with the mods stuff, but have any of you replaced your interior and/or exterior lights with LED bulbs for energy conservation? Is it that simple of changing bulbs or would these mods require soldering/tinkering, etc? Is this even a "safe" idea given the LR3's finicky electrical nature? Thought I read on another blog about only using OEM bulbs for rear taillights, or it could/would throw a fault?

zelatore

Explorer
I'm typing on a tablet tonight so I'll be brief.

Yes, I have changed out my interior bulbs for LEDs as have several others I know with LR3/4s with no problems.

It's generally good practice on any new (used) vehicle to change all the fluids just so you know where you are starting from. If you have good records showing recent work you may opt to put this off but it does give you a chance to verify some things. Always good to know the oil in the diffs doesn't have water or metal in it for example.

The only one that's a little complicated is the tranny. The filter is built into the pan, so it makes for a PITA. There is an option to replace with a new pan that has a separate filter - do some searching on LR3 ZF transmission pan and you should find some info.

If you DIY the fluids you can do it all in a day for about $300, not counting the trans. I'm not sure what a shop would charge, perhaps double assuming you were using an indy and not a dealer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12