Blender, My LX450/FZJ80 + FJ45esk + GM + Land Rover crazy concoction

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Any idea on the weight of your old J80?

I don't really see a reason to keep the LSPV. I do hate to go to an aftermarket proportioning valve that requires npt conversion fittings.....
I do wonder if the factory LSPV will work right with only one input line? I don't see a reason to run twin lines to the rear like OEM only to combine to one line going to the axle.

It was a porker for sure. I never weighed it, but it had bumpers front and rear, center skid plate, rocksliders, 25 gallon aux tank, Ham radio, refrigerator, 10-15 gallons of water, and more than enough gear for two people for week long adventures into the wilds. I removed a bunch of stuff for Moab to reduce the risk as much as possible.
It normally looked like this:
black%20rock%200509%20020-L.jpg

I know it may add a possible failure point, but you could use some adapters (Sky Offroad sells them) that go from the metric lines into a standard brake fitting.
Jack

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I know it may add a possible failure point, but you could use some adapters (Sky Offroad sells them) that go from the metric lines into a standard brake fitting.
Jack

My main issue is that most aftermarket proportioning valves are threaded for NPT fittings. Then you have to adapt to a brake line fitting....be it SAE or Metric.
That is just a pain in the rear and kinda sloppy.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wilwood-260-8419-Knob-Style-Proportioning-Valve,6494.html

MotoDave

Explorer
I worked at Wilwood, and I never did get a good answer as to why they insist on putting NPT in everything.

For what it's worth there should be enough meat to machine the ports to an O-Ring boss, but now you're using a fitting and o-ring, not really sure it's that much more reliable than the NPT adapter.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thanks Dave, I was wondering. It just seems so sloppy to me to have to add an NPT connection along with another flare fitting of some kind.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

Just a quick hour in the shop tonight.

I was able to finish up some aluminum mock up bushings for the joints. I am building this setup backwards from the motor mounts. I will be building the crossmember first. Then I will connect the joint housing to the mounting pads on the transfer case. Since I will need to tack weld to the housing the bushings should keep me from melting anything.

Before I gave up for the night, I got the joint mounting tabs for the crossmember side cut out, cleaned up, drilled, etc. These tabs weld to the 1x3 tubing that will be semi hidden inside the completed crossmember. I will be adding a vertical panel from rail to rail that will laminate these mounts and tie into the frame mounting plates.

I decided to mount the drives side joint fairly close to the centerline of the car. This should provide a little bit of flex for the mount and should help reduce vibrations slightly. The spread between the mounts is till over a foot. This should also give me enough room to run the exhaust on the drivers side over the top of the crossmember.

This also showed up in the mail! Now that is an extension cord!

I have the electrician come out last week and install 220 in the shop. I had them stick in two separate outlets on separate 50 amp breakers. This should give me the ability to add a 220V compressor in the future and/or a plasma cutter! :evil: I am also shopping for a 220 wire feed....

Simons

Adventurer
"
I worked at Wilwood, and I never did get a good answer as to why they insist on putting NPT in everything."

I think it's just purely to allow for adaptability. You can thread in a 90* IFF if clearances require, or adapt to whatever line size is required be it 1/4" or 3/16" etc... One proportioning valve with a hundred fitting options is far more reasonable than a hundred different pro portioning valves, I dunno maybe I'm missing something.

P.s. Awesome project!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
"
I think it's just purely to allow for adaptability. You can thread in a 90* IFF if clearances require, or adapt to whatever line size is required be it 1/4" or 3/16" etc... One proportioning valve with a hundred fitting options is far more reasonable than a hundred different pro portioning valves, I dunno maybe I'm missing something.

Right, but NPT sucks for brake systems. It is basically just tighten till it stops leaking....and hopefully the fitting is pointing the right way when you get done.
I'd rather have just about any other fitting style.....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Not a ton tonight, but progress is progress.

My McMaster ordered showed up, so I was able to drill the frame and install the rivet-nuts for the transfer case cross-member. These are M10 units, I am trying to keep this vehicle all metric (Ugh). I bought the install tool that McMaster offers. It made the job a breeze. I found that using a step drill to get close to the final size was WAY easier than using a straight drill bit for the entire hole. These inserts needed a 13.5mm ( or 17/32 ). I ended up having to remove and replace the transfer case to drill all the holes. That did allow me to finally get to the last connector for the wiring harness.

So that is all free of the engine. Now I just need to send it off for some magic. Honestly, I hate wiring. I just want it to be plug and play when it is done.

I got the basic tabs for the mounts welded to the base tube. This will be getting a lot more structure added, but this gives me something to work from.

Now to connect A to B to C. I see lots of poster board, foam board, and bracket making in my near future.

Clintnz

Observer
Interesting build!

Re manual brake proportioning valves, I got a Wilwood one from Summit in the std Toyota 10x1mm flare fitting configuration. Used it to replace the LSPV in my LJ71 when I fitted the 80 series rear axle.

Cheers
Clint

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Interesting build!

Re manual brake proportioning valves, I got a Wilwood one from Summit in the std Toyota 10x1mm flare fitting configuration. Used it to replace the LSPV in my LJ71 when I fitted the 80 series rear axle.

Cheers
Clint

Do you have a part number? No npt to metric adapters required from the factory? Picture?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Just a little arts and crafts quality time with some foam core....

These are the mock up templates for the front and rear vertical spines I will be adding to the crossmember. They will also double up the thickness of the two transfer case mounts.

I will likely add some go fast dimple die speed holes between the two mounts if I can find some room.

The area between the drives side mount and the frame will need to be clearance for the exhaust system. This is the area that the v-pipe merge will be so it might get a little complicated. I will be just tacking the steel spines if I need to remove them for easy trimming.

I should probably add a drain tube in the crossmember on each side to let water out of that inverted U-shape.

I have one big challenge left for these parts. I would like to add a 90 degree flange to the rear spine. That flange will form the mounting 'tab' for the belly crossmember. I will be using some 10mm clip nuts on that flange. The problem is that my press brake is only about 20" wide and the part is 30.5" wide. I only need the mounting flange to be 18" wide or so for 4 fasteners. I might have to get creative with how I fit the part in the press brake.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior