2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Build

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Great thread! My wife bought a 2014 XV earlier this year in prep for our move to NM. I didn't think you could get a 5 speed in these, but now I see it's only on the Limited model you can't. That SUCKS, I hate this CVT. It shifts like crap

I need to check out that lift you did, looks awesome!

Pushing 90,000 with our 2010 CVT 2.5 OB. I did have the dealer do a drain fill at 60K. Cheap insurance. So far the torque converters have been the point of failure on both the last year or two of the 5spd EAT and the last few years of the CVT's. Its like a clutch job only simpler for them to replace the torque converter which Subaru has been addressing as they come through. Mine has been fine but others have had issues with it not releasing pressure due to what sounds like a part made from the wrong material that wears some and locks up preventing pressure release causing the TQ to lock up and stall the car just as if you forgot to press the clutch in as you come to a stop.

ADVSubaru

Observer
Why oh why would you do that?

Honestly I'm reducing monthly expenses. Wife and I are planning for a kid within the next year and a half and we're looking to reduce as much debt as possible before the time comes so we will be fiscally ready (as much as one can be). So the cool awesome adventure Subaru must go in favor of responsibilities.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Honestly I'm reducing monthly expenses. Wife and I are planning for a kid within the next year and a half and we're looking to reduce as much debt as possible before the time comes so we will be fiscally ready (as much as one can be). So the cool awesome adventure Subaru must go in favor of responsibilities.

We had our first child in January, even with him spending a week in the NICU our total out of pocket was less than $200, having double insurance coverage really paid off(I work for the fed govt and wife worked for the state). If you have open season right now for your insurance you should seriously take a good look at your coverage, it easily saved us about $28k in med bills by selecting the right options last year during the open season to update or change the policy. Are you thinking about replacing this with an older Subaru?

ADVSubaru

Observer
We had our first child in January, even with him spending a week in the NICU our total out of pocket was less than $200, having double insurance coverage really paid off(I work for the fed govt and wife worked for the state). If you have open season right now for your insurance you should seriously take a good look at your coverage, it easily saved us about $28k in med bills by selecting the right options last year during the open season to update or change the policy. Are you thinking about replacing this with an older Subaru?

My wife and I were a bit irresponsible with spending in our 20's ;)... so its a long term plan. We pick up an 05 CRV Friday. Down the road, I want to get a Tacoma but that's probably 5 years out.

perterra

Adventurer
My wife and I were a bit irresponsible with spending in our 20's ;)... so its a long term plan. We pick up an 05 CRV Friday. Down the road, I want to get a Tacoma but that's probably 5 years out.

Hell I've been irresponsible my whole life. When I met my wife she told me, you got more money tied up in guns and fishing gear than house house and furniture! I asked, okay, whats your point? Now 20 years later, we are at about 50/50. Not a lot to brag on, but damn I have had a good time. If I die tomorrow, my bucket list of missed out on is pretty damn small.

ADVSubaru

Observer
Drove it home Friday. A few things I've noticed right off the bat comparing it to the Crosstrek is that the CRV is far better for what I will be using it for compared to the Crosstrek. Tons of storage pockets inside, more room on the inside overall (may just be better utilized) and a much better power band. BFG All-Terrains go on it today as I'm not fond of the tires that came with it.

IMG_5790.jpg

The new owner of the Crosstrek will be flying in in two weeks and driving it home.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Time for a new build thread, and new handle. :)

Just like with any vehicle, you'll need to assess the weaknesses and compromises. Hopefully, the step down in AWD capabilities won't be too much of a compromise. The increase in usable volume will no doubt be appreciated.

Now you need to recreate all the pictures with the CRV... enjoy.

MjrCrash

Tottaly agree!! Running my 2015XV literally Everywhere !! Those brown roads (fs) on my gps are changing color behind me, as i record my trip logs and choose a different color for my routes..Seriously never questioned gear ratio/torque/hp.clearance a time or two i simply had to white knuckle it and fall my years of experience in navagation and driving off road..

ADVSubaru

Observer
CR-V is stock with the exception of BFGoodrich All-Terrains KO2 and it's probably staying that way for the most part. My 05 Honda Fit is stock as well, with the exception of Enkei RPF-1's, IPF H4 LED bulbs, Spyder LED Tail Lights, and BFGoodrich g-force sport comp-2, and Yonaka catback exhaust.

I am looking to procure a true fourby this year. I will be looking at an 85 4Runner in the upcoming weeks that a friend is selling with a blown motor. No big plans for it other than just taking it to AOAA or Rausch Creek. If that falls through, I'm set on getting a first generation Tacoma or even a Pickup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online