2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Build

TwistedGray

Observer
Ahhh sorry, mixed you up with the OP, my mistake.
Though Im curious if the various Subarus have similar mileage when doing the roof gear and small trailers.

Pretty good feeling that roof gear is worse than towed gear, but then again I don't know for sure. My Tepui tent drops me down to about 20-23mpg.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Our two mt bikes on the lid knock us down from 21 with the trailer only to 18. I recall we did 23ish bikes only.

I think your right roof gear paired with small trailers, pretty sure the roof gear is the biggest hit to the mileage.

dman93

Adventurer
I don't own an XV and sold my Forester a few years back, but I do find a built XV very appealing. Nice job! One observation on the CVT/auto/manual trans discussion. I'd say the 5 speed MT was the weak link on my Forester XT for off-pavement use. In hindsight I wished I had gotten the auto, though that was before CVT. Even with Primitive skidplates providing a little confidence to carry some speed in rough terrain, with stock tires and no lift I felt a need to keep speeds down and frequently found myself I clutch-slipping mode maybe my turbo was also trickier at low rpm, but I always felt I was abusing the clutch. Otherwise, traction was always surprisingly good despite limited articulation, and turbo Subaru power and "car" handling and ride quality made long highway and gravel road runs, to get to interesting places, easy and fun. I think a factory lifted Subaru (more in the spirit of the original Outback) with factory skids, some rocker and bumper protection, and a low 1st gear (manual or auto or even CVT) would sell very well to the mountain biking/hiking/climbing/XC skier crowd. Although my new Tacoma V6 gets very similar mpg to my 5 speed Forester XT, and with regular gas.

TwistedGray

Observer
I felt a need to keep speeds down and frequently found myself I clutch-slipping mode maybe my turbo was also trickier at low rpm, but I always felt I was abusing the clutch.

I doubt your turbo was the culprit at low RPMS as they're usually not slated to kick in until over 3k. Haven't owned a turbo Subaru, but my Evo didn't pull turbo until 3500rom if memory is correct.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Even the NA power is pretty flat till about 2800 in the earlier 2.5s. My last gen 2010 2.5 has a flatter power curve than the old 01 2.5. More grunt in the 2500 range. The 3200 range it pulls hard. The 5spd mt has never been as good as the auto with the torque converter.

ADVSubaru

Observer
rocker guard pics?
Never installed rocker guards :). Its on my to-do list, ha!

Trailer link? Great idea for the RTT!
No link to the plans, I just had an idea in my head and went with it.

Nice job on the car and trailer James. How was your mileage on the trip? Curious how the 2L compares to the 2.5 mileage wise while dragging a trailer and sporting roof gear. I have the 2.5 OB. I know power is what it is so not going down that discussion route. Just wondering if the mileage impact is similar to the OB when your road tripping with gear and trailer.
I average just over 20mpg on the trip. I'd say it was 95% towing and 5% unhooked. The biggest issue is the 2L is just gutless and you can really feel it being loaded down.

TwistedGray

Observer
I average just over 20mpg on the trip. I'd say it was 95% towing and 5% unhooked. The biggest issue is the 2L is just gutless and you can really feel it being loaded down.

Ah, this was very useful information. I wish I could get to where I wanted to go, dump the RTT, and go play without worrying about having it up on top...paranoid that it's going to flex the Subaru aero bars and break one (again, probably just paranoia). A trailer would have solved that; however, I didn't realize it took THAT much of a hit...going to have to rethink my plans a bit.

ADVSubaru

Observer
Ah, this was very useful information. I wish I could get to where I wanted to go, dump the RTT, and go play without worrying about having it up on top...paranoid that it's going to flex the Subaru aero bars and break one (again, probably just paranoia). A trailer would have solved that; however, I didn't realize it took THAT much of a hit...going to have to rethink my plans a bit.

Yeah no doubt - the trailer is nice as it acts as a base camp. Our longest stay at a camp ground was three days and being able to set up an awning, the tent, and leave everything out was really nice. I would only have a tent on my car if it was a James Baroud just because the setup and takedown time is literally a couple minutes.

I wouldn't put a RTT on the factory cross rails - they flex a bit. I would go with either something from Rhino-Rack or Thule. The roof (especially in Subaru's) are very strong. I wouldn't go out of your way to see how much it can handle, but I wouldn't worry about a roof top tent + two people being too much for it.

TwistedGray

Observer
Yeah no doubt - the trailer is nice as it acts as a base camp. Our longest stay at a camp ground was three days and being able to set up an awning, the tent, and leave everything out was really nice. I would only have a tent on my car if it was a James Baroud just because the setup and takedown time is literally a couple minutes.

I wouldn't put a RTT on the factory cross rails - they flex a bit. I would go with either something from Rhino-Rack or Thule. The roof (especially in Subaru's) are very strong. I wouldn't go out of your way to see how much it can handle, but I wouldn't worry about a roof top tent + two people being too much for it.

Yeah the static weight is fine, we don't reach that at all...it's the dynamic/moving weight that I'm slightly concerned about.

sharkoverland

Observer
Dude awesome build. Yeah I am huge fan of Subaru. Great vehicles for multipurpose and very reliable. Will you be going to Expo east this year in Asheville?

ADVSubaru

Observer
Dude awesome build. Yeah I am huge fan of Subaru. Great vehicles for multipurpose and very reliable. Will you be going to Expo east this year in Asheville?

Thanks! I actually dropped the car off at the dealer as the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree and I pulled two codes from the car - both pertaining to the CVT. Hoping all is well but general consensus is there is either a voltage issue or the transmission control unit will need to be replaced.

So, if all things go well and I can get the car back, I will be there with the Crosstrek. Otherwise I'll be there in my Honda Fit (ha!).

Quest4ADV

Adventurer
Great thread! My wife bought a 2014 XV earlier this year in prep for our move to NM. I didn't think you could get a 5 speed in these, but now I see it's only on the Limited model you can't. That SUCKS, I hate this CVT. It shifts like crap

I need to check out that lift you did, looks awesome!

sharkoverland

Observer
Thanks! I actually dropped the car off at the dealer as the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree and I pulled two codes from the car - both pertaining to the CVT. Hoping all is well but general consensus is there is either a voltage issue or the transmission control unit will need to be replaced.

So, if all things go well and I can get the car back, I will be there with the Crosstrek. Otherwise I'll be there in my Honda Fit (ha!).

Looking forward too it. Hope all is well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior