2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Build

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I owned at 2010 Jeep patriot with the same JATCO CVT that the nissan had...IT WAS CRAP. The crowd over on Jeepatriot.com giving false info on them all the time saying they are better than the new 6sp. ha ha...silly people. I also own a 2003 Audi a4 cabrio with the CVT and that is dying a slow death too...PURE CRAP. Needless to say, NO more CVT in my driveway. If it does not have a real transmission then its not being purchased.

ADVSubaru

Observer
I owned at 2010 Jeep patriot with the same JATCO CVT that the nissan had...IT WAS CRAP. The crowd over on Jeepatriot.com giving false info on them all the time saying they are better than the new 6sp. ha ha...silly people. I also own a 2003 Audi a4 cabrio with the CVT and that is dying a slow death too...PURE CRAP. Needless to say, NO more CVT in my driveway. If it does not have a real transmission then its not being purchased.

I always try to shy away from anything other than a standard gearbox. However, this is the wife's car who was doing a lot of city driving so we opted for the auto. I know early CVT's got a really bad reputation for good reason so it made me nervous. With that said, I think the biggest issue with the CVT in the Crosstrek is that the car feels especially lethargic due to the motor size. Then with the AC on and car loaded down with gear, the car feels down right anemic. The CVT in a Subaru is also as sealed unit so once its dead, its dead. Its either new ($6k+) or used ($~1500). With that said, the CVT feels fine at 40k miles and people don't appear to have any issues long term with them on Subaru forums.

Fun fact: Subaru offered the first production car with a CVT, the Subaru Justy. The Subaru Justy also holds the land speed record for its class.

ADVSubaru

Observer
Awesome car :D I've seen you all over Instagram, love it. Great build.

Thanks!

The paint is drying on the trailer and its going on its maiden voyage this weekend. Hopefully everything stays together! Car feels much lighter without the roof top tent on top. The only items that will permanently be on the RhinoRack will be a set of Maxtrax and a shovel. Freeing up the roof will make it much easier to carry kayaks, canoes, bicycles, etc. Working with limited room and capacity feels like a constant game of Tetris.

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Any details on the maxtrax "adapter" you have mounted? I've been needing something similar on my rear swingout and have been thinking I'll need to fabricate it... This looks like the same concept. I'd be going vertically.

Nice subi !

ADVSubaru

Observer
Any details on the maxtrax "adapter" you have mounted? I've been needing something similar on my rear swingout and have been thinking I'll need to fabricate it... This looks like the same concept. I'd be going vertically.

Nice subi !

The brackets are actually from Rhino-Rack and are designed to go with the Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform Rack. I'm sure you could make them work but it may be cheaper just to fab up something using the Maxtrax mounting pins. Here is the product: http://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/prod...acc/pioneer-recovery-track-side-bracket_43159

Thanks!

GregBox

Hi James love what you have done so far. Did you ever do any exploring with the stock tires? I know they are good in snow, but wondering if they will be adequate at Rauch Creek.

ADVSubaru

Observer
Hi James love what you have done so far. Did you ever do any exploring with the stock tires? I know they are good in snow, but wondering if they will be adequate at Rauch Creek.

Thanks! I didn't do anything more than gravel/rutted roads with the OE Yokohama tires. I actually hated them in the snow and the first thing I did with the car was wheels and tires. The tires will definitely lack finding grip over larger rocks and mud.

Finally got around to installing the light bar.

ADVSubaru

Observer

Just got back from the big trip over the weekend and I have to dig through all the photos. Algonquin is simply amazing and the wife and I already want to go back :)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Nice job on the car and trailer James. How was your mileage on the trip? Curious how the 2L compares to the 2.5 mileage wise while dragging a trailer and sporting roof gear. I have the 2.5 OB. I know power is what it is so not going down that discussion route. Just wondering if the mileage impact is similar to the OB when your road tripping with gear and trailer.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
Nice job on the car and trailer James. How was your mileage on the trip? Curious how the 2L compares to the 2.5 mileage wise while dragging a trailer and sporting roof gear. I have the 2.5 OB. I know power is what it is so not going down that discussion route. Just wondering if the mileage impact is similar to the OB when your road tripping with gear and trailer.

Dunno what you mean. I tow a teardrop with a 2.5 with no issues

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior