My 02 Avalanche NFE

Stryder106

Explorer
Hey Stryder, great looking Avalanche.

I'm curious to know how the H2 springs feel. Does the ride feel noticeably stiffer now or is it still comfortable? Looking to swap my suburban with either z71 springs or these H2's and can't make up my mind. I don't want them too stiff feeling, but also have a lot of weight on my rig. Thanks!

Thanks. I haven't had them fully loaded yet, but just driving it - they don't feel too stiff to me at all.

Stryder106

Explorer
The front bumper was next. We had already fabbed up a really stout tube style front bumper with my winch and LED LightBar. However, my light bar took a rock and HappyKamper on Expo had a smoking deal on two new ARB21 Intensity lights. So, I got those. Both were floods, so Will at SierrExpedtiions swapped one out for a Spot so I can have both width and distance.
View attachment 401678
Given these are 7" diameter, we had to reconfigure my bar. I told him that we were going to be doing some more mountain type trips with a higher frequency of potentially crossing paths with deer. So, we reconfigured the bull bar - pushed it up and forward a bit to force whatever I may hit downward and extended the protection the full width of the bumper. Seriously stout.
View attachment 401679
These lights are SERIOULY bright - I still need to adjust them for proper height and angle but DANG what a difference.

Stryder106

Explorer
The overbed rack for the RTT. Many of you know my tent saga, but here's a quick recap for those who don't. I have the Napier tent specifically made for the Avalanche. It's actually pretty awesome - roomy and comfy, easy to setup and tear down, compact to haul. However, to setup the tent, I have to completely unload the bed of my Avalanche. Then reload it again when we take off in the mornings. So, I was essentially loading and unloading for the entire trip 2x/day. So, I decided I was going to a RTT. That would require and overbed rack. Bow, the Av is unique in that it has side saddlebags for storage, and the top lids flip up. I did not want to lose that access so a traditional rack that has solid cap running along the bedrail was not going to work. The other things I wanted to be able to do: Carry a table, mount my Rotopax, Hi-Lift, and other stuff, have some scene lighting for the camping spot, had to be strong, and wanted the middle open so that I could load under the tent but on top of my caps if necessary - at least a single high Wolf Pack. Here's how it came out.
View attachment 401680
View attachment 401681
View attachment 401682
View attachment 401683

Stryder106

Explorer
Interior Mods. I added a ham radio (in addition to the CB), needed room for more switches to control stuff (and get the Air Compressor and Locker switches away from the side of the console because my leg would hit them on rougher trails, and I was never happy with how far down my Lowrance was - I had to really look down to look at it. I had been in a Hilux that had been special purposed for Naval Special Warfare and really liked their control panel layout - so we set out to mimic that. Ripped out the plastic front portion of the console and completely fabbed a new one out of metal that has stuff in a much more user friendly layout.
Here is the old one
View attachment 401684
Here is the new one - taller, wider, stronger, and generally much mo' betta.
View attachment 401685
I couldn't figure out how to get my ham and CB to share the single external speaker I had previously mounted in my dash, so added a second external speaker dedicated to the ham. Mounted the ham base so that I have easy access to the important stuff. You can't tell from the picture but there is more of an angle to it now - both the Lowrance and the ham are completely within my field of vision because they angle up towards me rather than vertical on the old layout.
View attachment 401690
The two things I have left to do on this - port the CB mike jack into the side of the console and find some clear labels with grey or silver print and replace the temporary white ones to make it cleaner. I also need to wire the ABS onto a switch so I can disable it when hitting the dirt.
//
Next big mod coming for this area of my truck - eliminate the rest of the plastic center console and fab a new one. Will be taller and wider, eliminate the air vents (don't need them), and have it be big enough inside to hold maps, Atlas/Gazetteer and other stuff. Also, a beefy lid that opens from the front so both driver and passenger can easily access. Lid and structure will be stout enough to stand on for accessing the sunroof hatch and climbing or standing up through.

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Stryder,

Not seeing them in Chrome or IE, even when I click on them. Getting "Invalid Attachment" from the EP server.

I did order the springs on Saturday. Hoping to have them by the weekend. Would have been nice to haul my new trailer camping, but my springs are so worn ( I think) that the sag and sway is very concerning. I am also doing air bags, so one way or another I am gonna get stiff.

Craig

Stryder106

Explorer
Sliders. Having a longer wheel base vehicle that is not running a lift (well a formal lift) I am conscious of my rocker vulnerability. Since my Av is body on frame, my frame rails are actually quite a bit lower than the body - but on our last DV trip - we did get into a few really tight spots that made me think having some protection would be nice to have. I am not a fan of things that hang down or stick out as my truck is already wide and we have been on a few trails that we had to pull the mirrors in and any wider we would have had issues. So, I wanted sliders, but I want them as high and tight as possible. The also had to be strong and welded - sliders, not Nerf bars. I like how they came out.
//
View attachment 401695

Stryder106

Explorer
Weird messaging from the site. I don't understand "You may only attaché 10 images per post". This is showing up even on a brand new post. Weird.

rayra

Expedition Leader
yeah, not seeing anything but an attachment link, have to click each one to see anything.

Photobucket works great for me. The 95% of the time that it's working. It's also more useful for posting images in multiple locations or sites. And frankly should the need arise, I'm not leaving my images / work product behind, if I need to go or get summarily banned.

eta correction, not seeing pictures at all now, gettign this when I click on your attachment links - "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

Stryder106

Explorer
Weird - I've always done it this way and never had an issue. I just loaded them to Snapfish so I'll try it that way. Sorry fellas - gonna have to go back and edit those posts.

Bear in NM

Adventurer
All,

I installed the Hummer Eibach springs that Stryder noted above, on my 2002 Avalanche, and very happy so far. Only a few pavement tests on asphalt with lots of speed bumps, and a short jaunt down a local four wheel drive road, thus far.

I made some measurements on my existing Z71 springs and the Eibach, to perhaps help others, as we have had a similar discussion in other threads, involving aftermarket springs, and non-Z71 applications. These springs will certainly fit Suburbans of similar year. My stock Z71 springs with a fair amount of unknown use, probably towing by previous owners, measured out at 9 coils and 17" of length. I have been running them with 1" spacers, for the last year. The Eibach's are 11 coils, with an overall length of 18.5". The coils themselves are 0.725" thick, as compared to the 0.710" of my stock Z71's.

I picked up about an inch of lift in the back, over my Z71's with 1" spacer configuration. For anyone shopping Hummer springs, you will find a left and right part number, from Chevy. These springs were not marked, and each rear side ended up at within a 1/4" of the other, at 39" from the ground to bottom of fender, on 265-70-17's. With my front lift keys on my Av, I have 2 inches of rake, which I think is about perfect.

As to compression, my Stock springs and spacers were pretty much junk, with my body weight bouncing on the tailgate or trailer sagging and bouncing considerably. With these springs, my 190 pounds on the end of the tailgate corner, maybe 1/4" of deflection. But the ride is absolutely not harsh. I am new to coil springs, but they seem to be designed well. I do need new shocks, as the Rancho 9000's I put in last year are either junk, due to trailering with worn springs, or just too light for my Av. Pretty sure my ride will get even better, with a better shock.

I did the airbags in mine, and that part of the installation went well. I installed the air lift 1000 bags. My stock z71 springs were 4.75 inches in ID, while the Eibach Hummer's are 5.25. The bags seem to be working, but do not have any trailering on them, yet.

I do think these springs deserve consideration if you have an Av or Burb that needs a little help. And Stryder, if you are ever up in Northern NM way, dinner is one me.

Craig

Stryder106

Explorer
Hi Craig - glad they worked out for you. I'm liking mine so far as well - though I have not yet received my tent to start adding the weight to see how they do. I still can't get a picture to post anymore - no clue what's going on.

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Well, your pictures are hard on me, anyway ;^) Yes, so far so good, and I am going to get what I need, no squat. And more importantly, no squish with a trailer tongue, and the issues of that when actually rolling down the road with wind, dips etc.

Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online