Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

YYCRod

I am considering welding a tube mount onto the tongue opposite the front jack mount and carrying a stout telescopic pole in order to raise the panels 10-15 feet. anyone know where I can get an aluminum telescopic pole? Does anyone have any ideas how to mount 2x 100 watt solar panels another way?

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I am considering welding a tube mount onto the tongue opposite the front jack mount and carrying a stout telescopic pole in order to raise the panels 10-15 feet. anyone know where I can get an aluminum telescopic pole? Does anyone have any ideas how to mount 2x 100 watt solar panels another way?

Sorry, but what would the benefit be of raising the panels so high? Where you going to carry the pole sections? What to you do when it's windy? I cannot think of a benefit that outweighs the problems associated with that idea.

Off the Grid Rentals has mounted slide out solar panels on a tray that mount under their roof storage rack atop their Teardrops. The same could be done under the RTT.

sologeek

Observer
Here's the trailer. Everything in the picture may not come with it (like the tent and awning? I'm pretty sure they don't). Looks nice; although I'm not a fan of the independent rear axle (would rather have springs and a solid axle). 5 on 5 bolt pattern limits it to JKs; wonder how hard it would be to change the bolt pattern (without the use of adapters). I like the concept (simple box); would like to see one in person to judge the execution of the build.

Kudos for including a spare tire (if it does come with one), and for having a 2" receiver up front. At least it has a spot for a spare tire.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/smittybilt/scout-trailer

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Outdoor-...aspx?t_c=88&t_s=618&t_pt=101904&t_pn=S/B87400

View attachment 409944

Can the 2" receiver handle decent angles off road? or will most people switch that for another type of receiver?

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Can the 2" receiver handle decent angles off road? or will most people switch that for another type of receiver?

As clearly stated in the assembly instructions and in the Smittybilt sales material, the two inch receiver is included for initial assembly and getting it moved around for alignment, registration, etc. and that an off-road coupler is recommended for off-road use.

Last edited:

Arctic Cat

Adventurer
Sorry, but what would the benefit be of raising the panels so high? Where you going to carry the pole sections? What to you do when it's windy? I cannot think of a benefit that outweighs the problems associated with that idea.

Off the Grid Rentals has mounted slide out solar panels on a tray that mount under their roof storage rack atop their Teardrops. The same could be done under the RTT.

I just lay my panels in the ground. I used 100 WT ZAMP Solar and have two 6 volts golf car batteries

YYCRod

All valid points. I'll probably just put them on the ground. I have a Foxwing going on, so a pull-out wouldn't work.

Badcoder

Love the side boxes! What are you storing inside? Lockable too? Great work!

Looking at your Spare mount and gas can holder on the back of the truck makes me wonder, are you going to need to extend the to bar a couple of feet?

Where did you get the boxes from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

YYCRod

Has anyone figured out a water tank yet? I was looking at the Black Series V4 Sergeant trailer online. Similar trailer suspension-wise to the Scout. I like the idea of the rear water tank to balance the weight of the batteries in the front box. Does anyone know where a similar tank can be found (short of custom fabrication)?

Last edited:

ebrabaek

Adventurer
As soon as I move my spare tire on the swing on the back of the trailer, my water tank will go where the spare currently sits.

YYCRod

As soon as I move my spare tire on the swing on the back of the trailer, my water tank will go where the spare currently sits.

I don't have a spare on the trailer as I am running the same rims/tires as my SUV.
I have thought about getting a stainless tank fabricated for the spare tire well. I'll bring it to some fab shops to see what it will cost.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
If you google rv or trailer water tank, you can get a lot of hits. Modern polypropylene tanks can withstand the abuse of this off road trailer just fine. Nothing wrong with Stainless off course. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior