Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

RichardPT

Richard
I had a small scratch / dent on the kitchen side door when I unpacked the trailer at home. Local 4WP replaced the door for me with no issues. I think for you it's an issue of "inconvenience " - Smittybilt will probably offer to replace the damaged parts but you may have to wait for a while. You might as well get a can of spray paint now as you gonna need it in the future anyway 😉

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Yeppers.....

I went to ACE and got 16 M16 washers, and installed them on the inside as spacers. As far as the plate, I used a wooden 2x4 under the dent and knocked it out with a plastic hammer from the top. Tool box is sitting on top of it anyway.
The strange thing was the drawer slide. That one threw me for a loop. I thought it was damaged by the knock around during transport. But it turned out it was not. Each 1 inch it was hanging up on something...... click....click.... all the way in, and out.
Off came the cooktop drawer, and out came the slider. Took the slider apart, and found a casting flaw in the middle of the large slider housing where the bearing roll. It resulted in a " pimple" protruding and each bearing ball had to roll over it..... Off to the house and get the dremel. Ha.
All fixed.
Now to device a plan hanging that pesky spare wheel off the back. I suspect that tongue weight is 2 to 3 times what I would like it to be. Ringing up that spare in the back would solve that, and give me room in the front.
I suspect in the price range that this trailer represents, there was simply not enough room to engineer that.

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Just my cent and a half. Don't forget to grease top bottom shock bushing and do not torque shock bolts until weight of trailer is on the tires. Just saying. Mine didn't come with spacers eather

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Yeppers.
Lithium grease and in honesty one spacer would be good enough. That leaves 2mm'ish to torque down. Ace has the M16 spacers for 32 cent apiece. A cheap investment to keep the bracket geometry somewhat straight.

Silverback07

Adventurer
So far so good.. no issues. I don't/wouldn't stand on them, but for what I use them for they have been great. Little bit of fine dust seeped in during the last trip out but that's it.

Wynn

Wanderer
Nice! It's difficult to find something to perfectly fit in that spot. Two incoming from Amazon!

Silverback07

Adventurer
Facebook-thumbs-up-image-clipart.jpeg

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Wow what a game!! Take your breath away. I'm curious and half to ask? We all started with 1380 lb on our trailer which is on heavy side and from what I can tell we all have 6 cylinder that puts 140-150 hp to rear tires what are y'all wanting to do with trailer? Extra boxes ...tires carriers that are extra 30 lbs to Carrie 60lbs? Why not throw tire on top of trailer? 5-6 jerry cans ? My trailer is put together for off road. If you pull more than 2000lbs with 6 cylinder off road you really can't do it Mabey dirt road but it's my understanding 1800 lbs bout max

Tkhawk

Adventurer
Mine is a '12 so I've got the 285hp 3.6L. I haven't looked up dyno charts but figuring for 15%-20% drivetrain loss should be around 230-240. That said its still working hard to maintain 70mph on the hilly roads here in east Texas lightly loaded. I still don't have a battery yet and only had 12 gallons of water, no extra fuel and only lightly packed for 4 people, 2 nights. My mileage also dropped from almost 17 to under 13mpg. A regear is probably in my future. 35's with 4.10s isn't to bad unloaded, but not great pulling a trailer. Everyone has their own view of driveability but I wouldn't want to be towing my trailer with any less power.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Mine is a '12 so I've got the 285hp 3.6L. I haven't looked up dyno charts but figuring for 15%-20% drivetrain loss should be around 230-240. That said its still working hard to maintain 70mph on the hilly roads here in east Texas lightly loaded. I still don't have a battery yet and only had 12 gallons of water, no extra fuel and only lightly packed for 4 people, 2 nights. My mileage also dropped from almost 17 to under 13mpg. A regear is probably in my future. 35's with 4.10s isn't to bad unloaded, but not great pulling a trailer. Everyone has their own view of driveability but I wouldn't want to be towing my trailer with any less power.

I've regularly towed a SoCal teardrop, loaded up with 30 gal of water, 20 gal of gasoline, provisions, and a metric butt-load of firewood with a 3.6l Jeep JKU with 3.73s rolling on 33's without issue, other than fighting severe head winds the last trip. That package has to dress out at near twice the weight of a Smittybilt trailer all kitted out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan