1948 Willys Jeep on 'Legendary' voyage (May '07)

JPFreek1

Explorer
Hey everyone:

I thought that most of you might be interested in this story since so many of us are passionate about our Jeeps and Jeep vehicles. The team at Jeepbrokers.com will be commencing a two-week journey in early May that involves a one-owner, 1948 Willys Jeep that was previously owned by a WWII Fighter Pilot who returned home from his tour of duty and purchased the vehicle shortly thereafter. The Jeepbrokers.com crew have purchased this vehicle from 85 year old Nick Fallier in Georgia and will be driving it from GA back to AZ with the remaining '1948 miles' to be driven on America's legendary highway Route 66. Our magazine will be providing exclusive coverage of this trip in an upcoming issue, but for those of you who would like to see the true significance of this journey, visit:

http://www.jeepbrokers.com/roadtrip_2007.htm

The press release and trip details with map can be found on that site and full-coverage will be featured in the August/September issue of JPFreek Adventure Magazine. Also, if any of you would like to join the guys on a portion or all of this trip, feel free to PM or email me at fledwell@jpfreek.com as they would enjoy having anyone and everyone join them.

Frank

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
This looks like a fun trip to follow. GA to AZ on Route 66 in a '48 Willys. That's a legit road trip there! :jumping:

JPFreek1

Explorer
Yeah, we're pretty excited about this trip because there are so many different stories to tell: the history of the vehicle, the background of Nick Fallier (WWII fighter pilot who flew over 120 missions in the south Pacific), the story of the Jeepbrokers.com crew and the route they are following. It's really going to be a phenomenal story when it's all said and done. Of course, riding in a vehicle that old at 35 MPH may be pretty rough on the rump. ;)

lowenbrau

Explorer
Wow, great trip. Since watching "Cars" a couple months ago I've been talking about doing route 66 with the combo pictured below. Looks like your trip is just what I had in mind.

Have fun!

lowenbrau

Explorer
kcowyo said:
:bowdown:

Are those some of your 70's in the background too?

Yeah, the brown one is my Daily driver/winter beater. It now has 550,000km and counting. Bonus points if you can identify the Jeep.

jbhowat

lowenbrau said:
Bonus points if you can identify the Jeep.

M38A1? Fenders aren't flat, so I'd say its not a pre-CJ5, or pre M38A1.

If not M38A1, then CJ5, but that seems too obvious for "bonus points"

I actually work at a Jeep / Military vehicle restoration shop, so I'd be surprised if I'm stumped, but who knows.

lowenbrau

Explorer
OK, before I totally Hijack this thread. I'll let everybody off the hook. Its a JDM 1976 Mitsubishi J53. It has a neat little 80 HP diesel and four speed and the steering wheel on the right side. To most Jeep enthusiasts its pretty hard to tell from a CJ3B except for the downturned fenders. I drove it around all last summer with the windshield on the hood and my dog in the "driver's" seat. It was a big hit.

jbhowat

lowenbrau said:
OK, before I totally Hijack this thread. I'll let everybody off the hook. Its a JDM 1976 Mitsubishi J53. It has a neat little 80 HP diesel and four speed and the steering wheel on the right side. To most Jeep enthusiasts its pretty hard to tell from a CJ3B except for the downturned fenders. I drove it around all last summer with the windshield on the hood and my dog in the "driver's" seat. It was a big hit.

Oh you bastard :) ... Thats not a Jeep - it was a trick question. Yeah, the hood line really threw me, it looks like the high hood of a 3B, other characteristics are definitely 3A or M38-ish, and the fenders are obviously NOT any of those, so I had to go with M38A1, figuring CJ5 (which is the civ. M38A1 variant) would be too obvious for you to even ask. You got me, for sure. Its right hand drive... I never even noticed that or I probably would've guessed DJ5 (postal Jeep). Anyway, thats a very cool truck - I used to own an older KL60 Nissan Patrol ('69) and boy you could sure stump some people with that one - in fact most people refuse to believe a "nissan" existed in '69, despite the Nissan badging everywhere on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger