1976 Chevy K20 - Retro Adventure Build

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Rough country will get you by, just pitch the shocks. It's still going to ride like a schooner. I know as I have 4" rough country springs on the front of mine. Take what you saved on springs and buy Bilstiens. Even the basic 5100's they list for 2-4" lift will work. Shop around and you can get them for a decent price.

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
IMG_0926.JPGWell, for last weekend before i sold the roof-top tent and rack off the Silverado i decided to put it on the K20 for a send off trip. -It didn't go well.

Let me start by saying the truck is fantastic, the more and more i drive it, the more and more i love it. We left Friday evening with about a thousand pounds of gear in the truck. It did fine, and maintained cruising speeds around 50 mph even up steep grades!

As for the trip itself- When we got to Anza-Borrego there were little to no clouds in the sky, and no rain or lighting projected where we were. After about an hour around the fire we noticed lightning in the distance; this should have been our cue to leave. We stuck around by the fire for another thirty minutes and deciding to go to bed after it began to sprinkle. As i was setting up the tent the lightning got closer, and it began to get windy. At this point i decided i didn't want to risk being stranded 3-4 miles from pavement if it were to rain, or become a general electric test facility using my K20 and tent as the test subject. As i was alerting the rest of the camp it began to down-pour like cats and dogs. Not once in my life have i ever seen rain like this.

We packed as fast as we could and at this point there was about an inch of water on the ground, and lighting was striking every 10 seconds or so around us. I decided that rather than attempting to escape in two wheel drive to spend the time locking the hubs in four. On slight incline out of camp it was slicker than a pig in slop. Any indent in the surface of the desert was filled to the brim, and washes were flowing like streams in spring. We had to cross one wash on the way to the road, and all the rigs in the group made it.

Unfortunately the troubles were not over when we reached the road. The road itself was buried underneath three inches of water and mud, making it difficult to get to somewhere with shelter from the lightning. We crossed few shallow wash outs in the road that came up about 2-3 feet. Getting close to our destination there was one wash out that would be impassible. I attempted to get through and when the water came up to about 6 inches below the hood-line before reaching the apex of the wash, i determined it wasn't worth the risk. One of my friends made a split second decision to try and make it. He didn't make and ended up floating down about 50 ft. (Very Lucky He Didn't Get Hurt).

As CCR once sang, "It'll rain a sunny day"

Here are some photos from that trip!
IMG_2717.JPGIMG_2690.JPGIMG_0974 2.JPG

AlexCold

Observer
Very nice truck! SB Chevy's are my favorite. I wish I could find a clean one like that around here.

BTW, the Dirt Every Day guys just took a stock K20 like yours through the Rubicon with only a Warn winch as a modification (and some body damage).

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
What ended up happening with your buddy who floated away?

He swam across and left his rig for the night so that we could get to high ground. We had to wait for the storm to subside and we ended up being able to get close enough to through a coupe tow straps on his truck. The truck had about six inches thick of muck on the floor. Took apart the intake system, pumped some water out of the cylinders, cleaned the maf, bought some fuel stabilizer, and the truck started and ran rough all the way home.

He ended up losing some camera equipment to the mud unfortunately.

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
Very nice truck! SB Chevy's are my favorite. I wish I could find a clean one like that around here.

BTW, the Dirt Every Day guys just took a stock K20 like yours through the Rubicon with only a Warn winch as a modification (and some body damage).

Thank you!

I'll have to look into that episode, sounds like something i'd be into!

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
He swam across and left his rig for the night so that we could get to high ground. We had to wait for the storm to subside and we ended up being able to get close enough to through a coupe tow straps on his truck. The truck had about six inches thick of muck on the floor. Took apart the intake system, pumped some water out of the cylinders, cleaned the maf, bought some fuel stabilizer, and the truck started and ran rough all the way home.

He ended up losing some camera equipment to the mud unfortunately.

Damn! Glad you all made it out relatively intact. Scary.

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
A3FDC744-5EE5-432B-9F5A-660ECF666056.jpeg

A few updates for the k20-

The truck had a full fluids change
New rotors pads and shoes
New wheel bearings
Threw some lights on that were taken off from the Silverado.

Getting close to lifting it, only hold up now is funds and time.

As for the lift I’m pushing to do a rough country 4” with off road designs shackle flip instead of using the block. Hopefully it will keep costs low.

I’ve been daily driving this thing and its scary good.

Hoping to have it put together this winter for snow season in big bear.

Hosalabad

Don't do Rough Country. I have literally never heard anything good about them. If you're already looking at ORD I can wholeheartedly recommend them. I run their EZRides, which were purchased about 8y ago during my buildup. They are now in the custom spring rate game and can assemble a pack for you that will be much better than what you're looking at with Rough Country.
I know I have a low post count here, I mostly lurk on build threads. I'm driving a 74 Blazer that was originally the same color as your truck, so it caught my attention. I've invested in their doubler + shifters, springs, and crossover/high steering and am super happy with all of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears