1988 F-250 Adventure Rig Build Up

txnight

Adventurer
Thanks for the advice, Tootall. I'm gathering up switches and harnesses daily. It's going to take forever but while it's all torn up I'm going to fix it correctly.

Hunt, the Scrambler is stuck with me forever. It isn't all that nice but it has a particular charm about it.

In other news I have sourced a decent column off Ebay for $190 delivered. Still stings to have to buy one but what the hell, I'm already in over my head.

Forbye

Observer
Replacing the headlight switch is a good call. To take it one step further you'll see that full headlight current is run through the headlight switch then the hi/lo beam switch. This is one of the main reason for headlight switch failure and meltdowns (or as we like to call it at work "an unplanned thermal event").
The cure? Relays. You could be a ready made kit from LMC Truck but it appears you already have the skill to build your own relay harness. Here's one of many methods to build your own: http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/8/039/article/Whiter_Whites_Brighter_Brights.html

txnight

Adventurer
Forbye, its on my long list of upgrades. In fact I bought the new bulbs and plugs from bgraveyard along with new switches and plugs throughout.

Tonight I got the dash pulled out and unplugged the a/c controls, radio, and on and on. I'm quickly remembering why I hate computer controlled vehicles. Everything looks like crap back there so I'm going to attemp to rewire everything from the computer out to all necessary plugs. Glad Im not in a hurry.

Any advice for wiring up an eec-iv? It looks pretty intimidating.

txnight

Adventurer
Yup......carburetor conversion.

:)

Carb? Yes! IDI? NO!!! I'm too far into this 7.5L beast to want to swap it.

Tell me more about the carb conversion? I think the heads are different on the EFI engines??

Here is where I left the dash last night. I walked away before the sick stomach feeling got too bad.

ZdMAwH0l.jpg

Last edited:

burt

Observer
Man, you've done it this time. I stumbled across an f 150 that had a cherry interior while looking for a door panel for my 90 f350 idi at the junkyard. I knew it would be Money cheap but tedious but had to do it. Only thing I can say is I can relate to exactly how you feel. If you haven't noticed, most everything in the dash is compatible between all brick nose trucks. I'd keep an eye out for a f350 front end as well. Easy swap and much better

txnight

Adventurer
I started off looking for a solid axle but the budget didn't allow for it. Just going to run what I have for the time being.

This truck aint a spaceship so with some time I can get it right. If any of you have wiring diagrams, instructions or free beer just send it my way.

Rewiring budget: $550
Beer for project: $150 and counting.

mp_tx

Observer
Great job. My 91 F350 ambo project is stalled at the moment, but its nice to see another brick nose for inspiration.

I was semi-joking about the carb, my dad has a brick-460 with the first year EFI....he has fought an intermittent no start and blown manifold gaskets, but the only reason for suggesting a carb is simplicity. When I got my 1986 someone had cut the engine harness out...two minutes on google and 8 minutes with my crimpers I had a new harness and was running again....intake and a carb would be my initial thoughts for cost on the conversion.

txnight

Adventurer
Thanks for following along and the comments.

Got a few uninterrupted hours with the project this weekend. I'm cautiously optimistic about my progress.

Coming to a landfill near you, my old wiring harness.
FchyTMnl.jpg

This is where the magic happens.
vETvyQml.jpg

Fuse box zip tied in place, wiring for tail lights, headlights, alternator and solenoid zip tied in place.
ogpoGNal.jpg

Looking pretty in primer.
xqlMCdSl.jpg

Take away thoughts from this weekend.

EZ Wiring Products:
The EZ Wiring directions look like a book project from a 4th grader. The product however is well labeled and lays out nicely. First round of tech support emails have been sent.

It appears I should take this opportunity to switch to a one wire alternator. Simple operation, simple wiring and new equipment are all good things. If any of you have a recommendation please offer it.

No amount of rewiring is going to make this engine compartment appear organized. It's a cobbled together mess of 1980's technology.

Bill D.

txnight

Adventurer
Monday Update:

Sitting in my office last Friday I decided to break down and spend some money.
1. Buy the shop manuals and the EVTM manual for this truck. 15 minutes of searching on Ebay and one Benjamin later I had them purchased and yes I should have done this a long time ago.

2. Purchased a 38 gallon fuel tank and will be doing away with the stock twin tank setup. It will simplify my rewiring job and I should be able to install a 15 gallon air tank in place of the current front tank.

3. New fuel lines and fuel sending unit. Cheap compared to the frustration of 25 year old fuel lines and connections.

Pictures of work from last week:
Decided to take a break from the wiring as I await the new steering column and shop manuals. Feeling the need to see some dramatic improvement the remaining interior pieces came out and everything got wire wheeled. Lots of degreaser and shop vac later it looked like this.
lbsetDdl.jpg

Wiped it all down with the Xylene and sprayed two cans of Rustoleum undercoating. My experience has been that undercoating does help with rattles and the plan is to install a proper vinyl floor at the end of the project. This will just serve as an additional layer of noise cancelling and insulation.
B5ODQool.jpg

You can see how it "builds" a little better here. With temps in the 60's and low humidity it was still sticky for 72 hours. Leave yourself enough time and a dust free environment to get best results.
IioMUmnl.jpg

One fender reinstalled.
Z1fWpufl.jpg

Plans for this week call for studying diagrams and schematics so wiring can move forward.

Questions for this week:

Have any of you used interior paint to freshen up trim, consoles, etc.? http://www.colorbondpaint.com/colle...ucts/leather-vinyl-hard-plastic-refinisher-11

Getting ahead of myself I'm looking at paints and bed liner products. Any feedback on Monstaliner? I like the colors and shooting it out of an HVLP gun seems easy enough.

Have a great week. Bill D.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle