1988 Suburban "MOBY"

superbuickguy

Explorer
I'm over 100k into mine so far. I'll send you some pics once I can get my pics transferred again. I welded a K5 Blazer rear on to put my Four Wheel Camper on it. Engine is at 500hp, all NOS 1-ton gear with a Gear Vendor. I'm wondering if a pre-'87 engine loom would connect up. They are plentiful and cheap and wouldn't have any of the extra EFI and computer bits. I have a '87 truck with a LT1. I'd like to go back to TBI on it, so keeping a intact harness would help. Otherwise, I guess I'll start pulling wire by wire to remove the TBI parts. I managed to fit two 25 gallon saddle tanks under it as well, one for waste motor oil or VGO.

it would be far easier, if you're going to rewire, to simply get a diesel harness from a 88 up 'burb. I suspect there is little that is the same between the diesel harness and the TBI harness.... OTOH, it could be simply swapping the connection to the motor at the bulkhead....

tgdoumit

Adventurer
well, here's what's up tfrom this weekend...

i had to modify the front cross member to make room for the crank balancer. the second crossmember is by the syndicate chop shop. it uses get 1 dodge isolators.

primary fitting of the motor in the frame. everything is still loose to make adjustments easier.

the removable crossmember piece is about 0.75" off the pan.

view of the drivers side isolator and motor mount. aiming to get the bell housing 0.25"-0.50" from the fire wall.

using a straight edge on the balancer to check squareness to the crossmember... in the end, everything is a compromise it seems but its all lining up good.

in the end i placed some reference points on the balancer and measured off the tips of the rivets on the frame to get the motor placed better side to side.
i will center the output shaft on the transmission between the frame rails .

preliminary hole for the shifter which was pretty close to the old 4wd hole. i still have to cut a bigger hole which will grant access to my drivers drop 241... so the hole will migrate towards the drivers side and back more..

FBJR

Adventurer
I noticed a few pages back you went with a 2wheel drive steering box. Guess you are going crossover, same as me.

I see nothing to beef that frame up near the box mount so far, it will be needed. You probably know the GMs are famous for cracking the frame at the SB mount.

I like the ORD steering brace, but the $130 seems a little steep. Doesn't look that hard to make and I have it apart for a cam now.

tgdoumit

Adventurer
I haven't got the steering box yet but I will soon I hope. I've been talking to a fella who's done plenty of these swaps and he seems to think the weld on plate will be enough. The frame in that area is definitely a weak spot but mine looks good as new. My plans are to start with the plate and add a home brew brace if it looks like it'll be needed.

FBJR

Adventurer
My 77 did and rebuilt/boxed the entire frame.

The 2500 subs have a thicker frame, but will still crack with big tires/hard driving.

tgdoumit

Adventurer
good to know, the biggest tires will be 35" and its not wheeling it. chances are it will be just fine for my purposes :) i'll definitely going to keep my eyes on it.

tgdoumit

Adventurer
Took a couple pictures of the parts if anyone is interested... Also, a fella who I've been trading parts with is giving me a 2WD steering gear out of an '84 half ton.

here's some pix!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Took a couple pictures of the parts if anyone is interested... Also, a fella who I've been trading parts with is giving me a 2WD steering gear out of an '84 half ton.

here's some pix!

Looks like that hydro boost set-up is ready to rock! :Wow1:Ya got to love it. Cheers,Chilli..:)

tgdoumit

Adventurer
thanks Chilli,
forgot to add that i cleaned up and greased the pivot shafts / bushings and replaced the plastic bushings which were breaking down.
the brake shaft was sticky and dry but it still looked real good before it got grease.

FBJR

Adventurer
That looks in pretty good condition, have seen worse and it is what, 20 years old?

Just found a peddle set local. Not in the plans to do it but you never know down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman