1989 GMC Suburban "Trail Boss" conversion

shrineboy

Well last week did not go as planned with 3-4 days with 20-30 mile an hour sustained winds made it a little hard to work on stuff outside so I didnt get any work done on this and had to just take the Tacoma camping with the scouts. The suburban does quite a bit of wandering on the road and there was a new drag link in the back when I bought it. Had the kid shake the wheel back and forth and there was a bit of wiggle at the pitman arm so I went ahead and replaced it.

YPnMmnd.jpeg

honqfje.jpeg

It helped but wasnt the cure, It still wants to wander but now only above 45-50. I have a weld on steering box brace and an XJ steering shaft to go in, still need to check the rest of the steering components and do an alignment/castor check.

We did have nice weather for camping though, 70 during the day but chilly at night (35-40 degrees)

Yc6jW2g.jpeg
Well last week did not go as planned with 3-4 days with 20-30 mile an hour sustained winds made it a little hard to work on stuff outside so I didnt get any work done on this and had to just take the Tacoma camping with the scouts. The suburban does quite a bit of wandering on the road and there was a new drag link in the back when I bought it. Had the kid shake the wheel back and forth and there was a bit of wiggle at the pitman arm so I went ahead and replaced it.

YPnMmnd.jpeg

honqfje.jpeg

It helped but wasnt the cure, It still wants to wander but now only above 45-50. I have a weld on steering box brace and an XJ steering shaft to go in, still need to check the rest of the steering components and do an alignment/castor check.

We did have nice weather for camping though, 70 during the day but chilly at night (35-40 degrees)

Yc6jW2g.jpeg
You may want to consider this to help with bump steer. IMG_20170908_164357.jpg

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
So when I bought the suburban the guy said it leaned a little to one side, It was on a hill so I didnt really notice it. Since having it home I have noticed that ya it does lean to the driver side, looks like the driver spring is just sagging compared to the passenger side. Last night I pulled the tape out and the driver side is 1.5 inches lower than the passenger from the fender lip to the top of the hub. I debated several ways to "fix" it while being cheap (contradiction in terms lol) and decided just order a new set of Tuff country leaves for just the driver side. It was hard to swallow cause one leaf pack is $270+/- when both pairs of 4" springs i ordered for the stepside were only $200, but I really dont want to lift this thing any higher.

So waiting on the leaf spring to show up and new U-bolts from ORD because I do not reuse U-bolts.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
Built a simple bracket and mounted a GMRS on top of my CB, still need to wire them in. I am very new to the GMRS radios so please let me know if there will be interference between the radios or not.

zH0LsDS.jpeg

I mounted them offset so I can mount a switch panel closer to me
2YPLLJT.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior