1990 Montero V8 project

CharlieNorth

Take a look at the universal circle track radiators. Mine I used in my turbo swap way back in time is still in use today. These come in various widths and either 16 or 19 tall, the stock location uses a 19, the 16 tall should fit up front on top of the crossmember.
Many Chinese or American made units out there. I have had either one fail with a few dozen I have installed since the late 70s.
Here is the one in my G1 turbo dating back to 1989
JKz3JQZ.jpg

And a current install in my Pajero, You can see the cut n tuck to clear the steering box. The other side has more work done as well.
GIjmxoV.jpg

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I got the frame stiffeners all welded in last week, still waiting on parts to continue so I'm trying to think of things I can chip away at while I wait. I hope to get the A650 to NP241 adapter ordered so that it will get built in the next month or two. I'd hate to get to the point of being ready to drive only to not have a transfer case or driveshafts.

20230116_113916.jpg

20230116_122831.jpg
20230116_123015.jpg
20230116_130037.jpg

Toasty

Finally getting back on this, got most of my parts but still have some vitals on the way.

IMG_20230209_091428_471.jpg

The JL axle is pretty wide and the mounting is slightly different than the TJ mounting I did on my '99. This put the frame mounts for the suspension behind and outside the crossmember so doing a bolt in crossmember like I did on the others more work than it's worth.

20230209_161128.jpg

I made basically a blank crossmember, it might get a new mount made for it depending where the T-case adapter lands.

20230210_165607.jpg

I had to make some temporary UCAs and a temporary panhard mount to mockup everything but this week I made the final parts so it's pretty much fitting and welding to get this back on it's own weight.

20230212_143610.jpg

Since the links land behind the crossmember directly on the frame I made these little barnacles to act as a sort of outrigger for the mount (this was in the cardboard phase I have final parts made already)

20230212_144125.jpg

Toasty

What kind of a welder do you use?

An about worn out Miller 180, I need to upgrade pretty bad. I hit the duty cycle on it pretty routinely and it doesn't weld as smoothly as it once did. I'm actually pretty embarrassed by the quality of welds I crank out of my garage, I know it's not that big of a deal on the hobby end of the spectrum but still.

CharlieNorth

I have a Miller 250 Mig, good old hard wire that welds sweet. I have not used it much, just built a half dozen trailers with it. A Miller 250 Syncrowave is my workhorse, It is an old hardwire machine. I have a few lighter duty Mig & Tig machines that get time. Also a Lincoln 200 Tig that just sits unused, it should find a home. My most interesting is a Thermodynamic Tig out of New Hampshire, It is by far the smoothest welding machine but only runs an aircooled torch. Not much use for it.

Toasty

If you need another problem in your life, there's a gen1 on copart with what looks like an Isuzu C223 turbo diesel installed.

Just got a, '89 SWB V6, tons and 40's so i need to stop looking for things to do.

I have a Miller 250 Mig, good old hard wire that welds sweet. I have not used it much, just built a half dozen trailers with it. A Miller 250 Syncrowave is my workhorse, It is an old hardwire machine. I have a few lighter duty Mig & Tig machines that get time. Also a Lincoln 200 Tig that just sits unused, it should find a home. My most interesting is a Thermodynamic Tig out of New Hampshire, It is by far the smoothest welding machine but only runs an aircooled torch. Not much use for it.

Miller 250 or 251 or 252 is what I really want, basic workhorse. I'd probably take on more side work though if I had a machine with actual balls.

CharlieNorth

They can truly give you the penetration and arc stability needed for the job while offering the duty cycle allowing you to get the job done.

Toasty

Got it all welded up, disassembled and painted everything last week. This week I reassembled and was able to roll it out of the garage, it steers with some temporary steering linkage but next I need to make a pitman arm and new steering link.
In other news, I may pull the UZ out of this. The swap is close to exceeding my budget with lots of critical parts still needed. The cost of everything has doubled or tripled in the past year and I currently have very little invested in the UZ, I'm hoping I can potentially sell that drivetrain to wrap this project up.

20230307_162656.jpg

Cruisn

Adventurer
Got it all welded up, disassembled and painted everything last week. This week I reassembled and was able to roll it out of the garage, it steers with some temporary steering linkage but next I need to make a pitman arm and new steering link.
In other news, I may pull the UZ out of this. The swap is close to exceeding my budget with lots of critical parts still needed. The cost of everything has doubled or tripled in the past year and I currently have very little invested in the UZ, I'm hoping I can potentially sell that drivetrain to wrap this project up.

View attachment 768714

Erotic.

plh

Explorer

View attachment 768714

MiVEC time!

Toasty

MiVEC time!

That's an idea, if a 3.8 manual MIVEC popped up cheap it would change things but I'd still need a Gen 1 V6 auto. It's important to keep the 6 bolt 23 spline output for the NP241 I already have.
I found another Gen 1 donor drivetrain which would be ideal IF it's good. We'll see how that goes, unfortunately it comes with a really nice Gen 1 LWB so that means I'd have to rescue ANOTHER Gen 1 but at least that one would be a better candidate for an engine swap since it's a nice truck where this one is more of a wheeler.

Reactions: plh

plh

Explorer
That's an idea, if a 3.8 manual MIVEC popped up cheap it would change things but I'd still need a Gen 1 V6 auto. It's important to keep the 6 bolt 23 spline output for the NP241 I already have.
I found another Gen 1 donor drivetrain which would be ideal IF it's good. We'll see how that goes, unfortunately it comes with a really nice Gen 1 LWB so that means I'd have to rescue ANOTHER Gen 1 but at least that one would be a better candidate for an engine swap since it's a nice truck where this one is more of a wheeler.

I have an auto transmission looking for a home. From my old 93 SR. AW372L

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998