1990 Montero V8 project

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Did you choose a JL axle over TJ/JK because you found a good deal on one or are they an easier swap?

I believe it was harder to swap but It was a good deal and it was like new (still has all it's paper part number stickers), I only changed directions with this truck because things kept falling in my lap. It actually wasn't a nice truck when I got it, It had been gutted and parted out. The big change was finding a good deal on a complete blue interior.

I have an auto transmission looking for a home. From my old 93 SR. AW372L

I got a line on another complete truck but I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Toasty

Still unsure on the engine stuff but I attempted to flex it out in the driveway to check for clearances. I was only able to get full bump, I'll have to wait till it's running to measure for limit straps. Looks like I can run a full 34x10.5 tire, it's got 285/70R17's on it currently.

IMG_20230320_081221_224.jpgIMG_20230320_081221_257.jpgIMG_20230320_081221_282.jpg

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Were the frame stiffners that you welded on earlier 100% necessary? Couldn’t you have just welded the suspension mount directly to existing?

Toasty

Were the frame stiffners that you welded on earlier 100% necessary? Couldn’t you have just welded the suspension mount directly to existing?

I think so, the frame on the Montero is very small on the front. Not to say it isn't strong but it wasn't engineered to have it's crossmember and IFS removed then a bunch of unsprung weight added not to mention the sprung weight is now being carried at the same place the engine is mounted. Would it be okay without? Probably. Do I want to find out? No.
Honestly I think on a leaf sprung setup you probably wouldn't need it but you'd still be wise to reinforce the area around the steering gear. On my IFS setup before I did all this on my '99 I found that the frame was cracking on the inside of the frame from where the steering gear was mounted. I suspect this is common on Monteros with larger tires that get wheeled enough. My cracks originated from the welds on all of the bosses that the bolts for the steering gear go through.

Last edited:

Redneckraider

My frame eventually started cracking at the upper control arms after years of wheeling on the stock suspension. That's was the final deciding factor for the sos

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230403-230834~2.png
    Screenshot_20230403-230834~2.png
    997.7 KB · Views: 8

Toasty

My frame eventually started cracking at the upper control arms after years of wheeling on the stock suspension. That's was the final deciding factor for the sos

You should post up an info thread on your work, I'd love to see it. What size tires are those? looks like A LOT of lift.

Redneckraider

When I get time I'll get a bunch of pics, the tires are 33's. The heavier Dana 60's rob alot of power from it and I finally just put 5.38's in the diffs. The springs are 4" lift spring for a yj. Can't remember the length off hand. Bottom of rockers measures 28" off the ground. Always planned on a V8 swap but the 3.0 is basically brand new from all I've done to it over the years. My new plan is to turbo it, from all the research I've done the stock ecu should be good for about 9lbs of boost wich should make around 260hp out of these 3.0's

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I think so, the frame on the Montero is very small on the front. Not to say it isn't strong but it wasn't engineered to have it's crossmember and IFS removed then a bunch of unsprung weight added not to mention the sprung weight is now being carried at the same place the engine is mounted. Would it be okay without? Probably. Do I want to find out? No.
Honestly I think on a leaf sprung setup you probably wouldn't need it but you'd still be wise to reinforce the area around the steering gear. On my IFS setup before I did all this on my '99 I found that the frame was cracking on the inside of the frame from where the steering gear was mounted. I suspect this is common on Monteros with larger tires that get wheeled enough. My cracks originated from the welds on all of the bosses that the bolts for the steering gear go through.
Has your modification been proven to work? Have you done this before, and been problem free? Or are you still playing with designs?

Redneckraider

Has your modification been proven to work? Have you done this before, and been problem free? Or are you still playing with designs?
Been running it for two years on the axel swap, everything has held solid so far. It's an off-road only truck, I would def. Add some things to tighten up the suspension travel if it was going to be street driven

Redneckraider

I plan on hopefully finding another gen1 at some point and I will be going with a 4 link and coil over setup. The leaf setup is a little limiting but it works good for what I run it through. It's mainly a trail and bog truck so I don't need a ton of articulation. Just lots of lift, this thing See's water levels over top of the hood on a regular basis lol

Toasty

Yes, I've done two other ones almost the same except on coilovers. I've got probably 50k miles on mine including A LOT of really hard wheeling, I even had my axle over steering (crushed the threaded steering stop) which lead to a broken steering gear which requires a tremendous amount of force and the frame and steering mount are still solid. Since that breakage I have installed Reid Racing knuckles with cast in steering stops and have done even harder trails since without issue. Both of them are on 37x12.5 tires with about 5" of lift.

Screenshot_20230404_132529_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230404_132933_Gallery.jpg

Toasty

I plan on hopefully finding another gen1 at some point and I will be going with a 4 link and coil over setup. The leaf setup is a little limiting but it works good for what I run it through. It's mainly a trail and bog truck so I don't need a ton of articulation. Just lots of lift, this thing See's water levels over top of the hood on a regular basis lol

I just got a V6 Raider for this same thing, 3 link front and 4 link rear on 40's.

Redneckraider

My plans exactly...I like the old school gen1 square look so I'm looking for one of them. I see you've been out already, my snow just melted off finally 2 weeks ago lol

Toasty

My plans exactly...I like the old school gen1 square look so I'm looking for one of them. I see you've been out already, my snow just melted off finally 2 weeks ago lol

They look super cool, the one we got to build is a bright blue too. I already did a little MSPaint rendering based off UtahYota's FJ ?.choptop.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998