1990s MB truck owners. Looking for some details!!

Geo.Lander

Sprocket3 a quick question: Have you ever driven a large 4x4 truck ( regardless of brand/ origin)?

I'm guessing probably not. Do yourself a favor and find somebody on this forum that would be willing to take you on a test drive in their behemoth rig on the freeway and especially off road! As much as you are willing to research, "jump through hoops" to get a Euro truck over here, AND throw "wheelbarrows" of cash at acquiring your new rig... These large trucks are not like one of those "Mega" Swiss Army knives. You have to realize that you are going to have to make compromises!

Trust me! ( I've traveled in Casa for 28 years now) You don't want to be regularly traveling at over 64 mph/ 100 km for several reasons. It is hard on the driveline (which translates to very expensive repairs) but waaaay more important than that... A fully loaded rig has a lot of mass! There have been a couple of times ( all of them in LA while on the way to/ from Baja) that I had to do a full lock-up to avoid driving over the cars in front of me!!! Then have to change my shorts!

The other thing that I think is even more important than how fast your truck is... has to do with mass as well! When big trucks get stuck, THEY GET REALLY STUCK!!!! Like don't even waste your time trying to get somebody with a F350/ F450/F550 to pull you out! It's not going to happen! That is why you want your truck to have a 2 speed transfer case with the lowest low range possible. ( BTW: LMTV's do not have 2 speed transfer cases and 1st gear is only something like 8:1)

Lastly, if you do end up getting a big expedition truck, make sure the you build a hidden vault in it to store your "tractor fund" ( I usually carry $2500~$3000), because if you get stuck in a remote area chances are you are going to have to hike to the closest main road, hitchhike to the closest town and pay somebody with a tractor A LOT of CASH to pull your rig free ( I know this from experience)!

You will not need 2000-3000 in the EU or Norway. Just carry some good insurance and 50 euro to cover the excess. The recovery companies here actually know what they are doing!

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
You will not need 2000-3000 in the EU or Norway. Just carry some good insurance and 50 euro to cover the excess. The recovery companies here actually know what they are doing!
But that insurance is not available to non-EU/UK residents.

I carry:

-- Sand ladders
-- Shovel
-- Two winches and tree saver
-- Two GoTreds
-- Prayer rug
-- Voodoo doll
-- Tire inflator and hose to air system.

And I do know how to drive in mud and sand. I just try to avoid them. (Been doing this a long time. ;))

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Sprocket3 a quick question: Have you ever driven a large 4x4 truck ( regardless of brand/ origin)?

I'm guessing probably not. Do yourself a favor and find somebody on this forum that would be willing to take you on a test drive in their behemoth rig on the freeway and especially off road! As much as you are willing to research, "jump through hoops" to get a Euro truck over here, AND throw "wheelbarrows" of cash at acquiring your new rig... These large trucks are not like one of those "Mega" Swiss Army knives. You have to realize that you are going to have to make compromises!

Trust me! ( I've traveled in Casa for 28 years now) You don't want to be regularly traveling at over 64 mph/ 100 km for several reasons. It is hard on the driveline (which translates to very expensive repairs) but waaaay more important than that... A fully loaded rig has a lot of mass! There have been a couple of times ( all of them in LA while on the way to/ from Baja) that I had to do a full lock-up to avoid driving over the cars in front of me!!! Then have to change my shorts!

The other thing that I think is even more important than how fast your truck is... has to do with mass as well! When big trucks get stuck, THEY GET REALLY STUCK!!!! Like don't even waste your time trying to get somebody with a F350/ F450/F550 to pull you out! It's not going to happen! That is why you want your truck to have a 2 speed transfer case with the lowest low range possible. ( BTW: LMTV's do not have 2 speed transfer cases and 1st gear is only something like 8:1)

Lastly, if you do end up getting a big expedition truck, make sure the you build a hidden vault in it to store your "tractor fund" ( I usually carry $2500~$3000), because if you get stuck in a remote area chances are you are going to have to hike to the closest main road, hitchhike to the closest town and pay somebody with a tractor A LOT of CASH to pull your rig free ( I know this from experience)!
You forgot to mention that air drum brakes are NOT like modern disc brakes. Watch those following distances.

And remember, small diesels have NO braking on long grades. All of the roads in France have warning to use engine/exhaust brakes. May have been the rudest shock when I picked up my truck - crossing the Rocky mountains not knowing how to use the exhaust brake. (OK, the wheel falling apart and setting the tire on fire was the worst scare, but the mountains were close. :eek: )

sprocket3

Adventurer

I've been on a number of test drives. I've driven large commercial trucks in High School and College jobs without issues. I get that it's on a huge scale and more to deal with than a 4x4 Sprinter. I honestly think it's worse to tow a 12,000 pound RV with an F250, than to drive a big expedition truck at 70% of it's GVWR. I'd say that anyone who can handle a 30' trailer can handle an expedition truck. I bet you'd be surprised at how bad the brakes are on these loaded up Sprinter vans with oversized tires. I went up a small about and the brakes got pretty soft.

That LA area traffic is something else.

Geo.Lander

I've been on a number of test drives. I've driven large commercial trucks in High School and College jobs without issues. I get that it's on a huge scale and more to deal with than a 4x4 Sprinter. I honestly think it's worse to tow a 12,000 pound RV with an F250, than to drive a big expedition truck at 70% of it's GVWR. I'd say that anyone who can handle a 30' trailer can handle an expedition truck. I bet you'd be surprised at how bad the brakes are on these loaded up Sprinter vans with oversized tires. I went up a small about and the brakes got pretty soft.

They are easy to drive. Don't believe the hype. Much harder situations occur when I'm towing my 23Ft boat with the Land Rover
Learn the braking and gears and it's a great cruiser.

Geo.Lander

But that insurance is not available to non-EU/UK residents.

I carry:

-- Sand ladders
-- Shovel
-- Two winches and tree saver
-- Two GoTreds
-- Prayer rug
-- Voodoo doll
-- Tire inflator and hose to air system.

And I do know how to drive in mud and sand. I just try to avoid them. (Been doing this a long time. ;))

This is incorrect. You can purchase roadside assistance before arrival for any vehicle. Maybe just not from your insurance company.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader

Again, if you have actually done it, then you will find it easy. But RV forums are full of statements like, "Well, it says descend in the same gear as you used to climb; I went up in "Drive." It is a wonder any any are still alive. So I generally assume (arrogance on my part, I know) that people asking questions have no concept of things like 4x4/low range, driving in snow/mud/sand, Third World roads, etc. My apologies.

I am amazed at the relatively massive caravans that Brits tow with relatively tiny cars down steep narrow roads. I couldn't do it.

Then I look at all of the US RV owners whining about driving their Class A's over a mountain. Americans really are some of the worst drivers.

sprocket3

Adventurer
They are easy to drive. Don't believe the hype. Much harder situations occur when I'm towing my 23Ft boat with the Land Rover
Learn the braking and gears and it's a great cruiser.

I towed a few things with my old 80 series that was really built out. One of the worst tow rigs you could own in my opinion. The big Truck seem way easier to manage than a 30' trailer and truck combo. They turn really tight.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
RAC, AA, Viking, etc. There are a load of them, if I remember correctly there are certain roads you required to have coverage, Autostrada etc.
Never found one who would insure a non EU/UK registered vehicle without an EU/UK address. May try again through the various camping clubs.

First quick survey confirms: UK
registration, under 3,5t, less than 2.55m wide.

Neil

Observer
Not sure its that easy or even possible from the UK

I think the AA and RAC will only provide breakdown cover for any nationality who are residents in the UK.

In addition the AA won't provide cover for anyone for this type of vehicle.

However, the RAC arrivals scheme will provide cover for UK residents only.

It's a mess. My son who is now an Australian resident cannot even be added to my Insurance or breakdown cover when he returns for a visit to the UK . His only option is to hire a car. He cannot drive mine as he isn't a UK resident.

I would be as bold to say that it is probably near impossible for a foreign national to source breakdown cover , for our type of vehicle that covers them in the UK or Europe.

I spent 3 days trying to get cover of any description for an Israeli friend and failed

Maybe in Europe ADAC or similar might be more flexible

Neil

Last edited:

Joe917

Explorer
I find it a little scary seeing people with no clue about air brakes or any understanding of how drums overheat and fail to stop you if you ride them on a descent, jumping into one of these trucks and driving off.
They are easy to drive, but if you don't know what you're doing it can end up very badly.

sprocket3

Adventurer
I find it a little scary seeing people with no clue about air brakes or any understanding of how drums overheat and fail to stop you if you ride them on a descent, jumping into one of these trucks and driving off.
They are easy to drive, but if you don't know what you're doing it can end up very badly.

Appreciate the concern, but this issue is valid in so many areas. What about the 200hp sport bike that the kid can buy with his Burger King income? All the motorhomes out there that are over 10,000kg. It goes on and on like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior