1990s MB truck owners. Looking for some details!!

Like above, not too expensive. I carry a spare shift module and master cylinder, have clutch booster at home. Also the clutch hydraulic actuator at home. And a spare friction disk inder the mattress of the camper bed and pressure plate in the back storage (which I suspect I’ll never need because the automated clutch control is allegedly very well controlled). And of course a pilot bearing in small parts drawer.

PS: I spent 2 days in September with Thomas Ritter, founder of Unicat, in Halifax. When I showed him the 15.5” clutch disk under my mattress, even Thomas, gearhead extraordinaire, was amazed.
OCD - on my part.

Last edited:

teeti

I'm considering the SK / AK / Actros (NOT UNIMOG) . I've got tons of questions

I keep seeing these 1990s Mercedes trucks on European sites and I'd love to get some feedback. They look really cool and have that neat euro vibe, but are the costs too high for the coolness. There's hardly any information online about these old trucks and I've read US owners have struggled with parts and repairs.

1) Can you get parts and repairs done in the US at all?
2) What models are the sweet spot in ride quality and power, without being insanely oversized? I'd really like to have over 500ft/lbs and some of these seem way underpowered.
3) Any major issues of concern mechanically?
4) Is a late 90s SK with the OM 441 LA a good candidate? So far that's what i'm zeroed in on.
5) Can they get 10mpg / (24L/100km) from with ideal highway gearing?
6) Any regrets from owners who've had them for a while?

Anything you can offer pros/cons would be great. There's just not a lot of these around in the US.

Thanks

Hey, came across this a little while ago and wanted to chime in, but it's been a rather long while since I posted anything here and I couldn't manage to get into my old account anymore, so now here's a new start. So anyway, I've looked into these a lot, and then finally found one with most of the specs I wanted and bought it, it's an 1120 AF. Based in Europe though so probably different perspective/circumstances.

First maybe something regarding those 2 letter codes, so there's a distinction between AF and AK (not quite different models but more specs/use related), wherein the F in AF literally stands for fire brigade, and AK tends to be utility/military. AF ones have a lighter frame. Then LK and SK are groups of light and heavy class models respectively, with different engines. From what I saw most people that have commented here with experience (as well as myself) own an LK/LN2, which have different versions of the OM366, which from what I've gathered is a great engine.

I haven't driven mine a whole lot yet, but from what I've read others with these are able to get around 20L/100km, I'm sure weight/shape/gearing makes a difference. SK models have larger engines and will be a little more thirsty.

Axle ratio and gearbox are important in general. I test drove 3 different LN2s with varying results. The one I own has the longest possible standard axle ratio (43:10), 6 forward gears, and ~200hp. I haven't done the conversion to larger size singles yet, but I imagine the resulting longer final ratio will do just fine in this case. Both others I drove were 917s, so same engine but ~170hp output. One of them similarly had a 43:10 axle ratio, but only 5 forward gears, and about the largest tires that would fit. It was too much, as in too little power with gear jumps that were too long. The other 917 had a shorter axle ratio and probably smaller tires, I don't remember whether it had a 5 or 6spd gearbox but either way it was fine.

In Germany these trucks (LN2) have also been called "Limo Laster", as in limousine truck, referring to their ease/comfort of driving compared to other similarly aged trucks. I haven't had mine that long yet so it still has most of the fire brigade equipment and old leaf springs, and I don't know how well the springs/shocks match the now empty almost 3000L water tank. It results in an actually quite wobbly and uncomfortable drive. However, the others I tested were in active use and both had parabolic springs, they were both pretty easy and smooth to drive (for someone used to older diesels). One of them was sound insulated and it made a big difference.

When buying this I had the intention to travel out of Europe to places with worse roads but where the basic technology would still be relatively easy to fix, I also like driving off-road (without looking for extremes). Compared to other trucks from before more electronics/common rail were introduced that would be suitable for something similar, Mercedes has a unique advantage regarding familiarity and parts availability, as well as available documentation and access to online information. I've been a bit overwhelmed learning about and dealing with the truck, but wouldn't say I regret it and still believe it to be a good match for the plans I had. On a sidenote here, I would potentially consider selling at the moment, change in life circumstances, send me a msg if interested. Anyway, for someone who just wants a larger size camper with a large payload, but otherwise intends to stay in places like Europe or the US and drive mostly asphalt roads, there might be more suitable vehicle choices available. Not that these trucks won't do it, so go for it if you've fallen for their charm as I have, but at the same time it would somewhat negate their advantages and there could be something to say about ride comfort compared to newer/other types of vehicles, oh and add consumption in there too.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader

Axle ratio and gearbox are important in general. I test drove 3 different LN2s with varying results. The one I own has the longest possible standard axle ratio (43:10), 6 forward gears, and ~200hp. I haven't done the conversion to larger size singles yet, but I imagine the resulting longer final ratio will do just fine in this case. Both others I drove were 917s, so same engine but ~170hp output. One of them similarly had a 43:10 axle ratio, but only 5 forward gears, and about the largest tires that would fit. It was too much, as in too little power with gear jumps that were too long. The other 917 had a shorter axle ratio and probably smaller tires, I don't remember whether it had a 5 or 6spd gearbox but either way it was fine.
Your comments on gearing, transmission, tire size, and engine match my experience.

I have a 5-speed 917 with 385/60x22.5 tires. Happiest at about 85-90 kph, but can bog on hills. The gear mismatch means that I would love one gear that wasn't as far down from top gear and one overdrive gear for the flats. ;) Would not want a smaller tire as many campgrounds are muddy fields and I like not getting stuck.

But, to the original point - there are better options for all North America or all Europe travel.

My biggest concern is the relatively stiff suspension would not be great on the piste, but I suspect that there are European suspension shops which could address this for enough $$$.

sprocket3

Adventurer
Thanks for all the help so far. I'm leaning toward the SK or Actros with the "small engine" which happens to be an 11 liter V6. From what I'm seeing these in lightly loaded trucks are getting around 10mpg with the manual. I hope that isn't downhill with a tailwind type of figure. I really want to avoid the bogging down on a little hill scenario and have the option to pull a 3000 pound trailer too.

The Actros brings a lot of modern features and even higher comfort level, but does have more electronics to deal with unfortunately. Some people are loving the Actros and other aren't happy with it. Guess that's always the way.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Ok, this is what I am ever so slowly learning while overlanding our 1120AF from Alaska to Punta Arenas Chile (where we currently are). When I was "researching" these trucks I read that Mercedes has the best available support around the world, outside of the USA. But this advice should have come with a very important caveat. While there are MB dealerships all around, was your truck ever sold in this country? Anything remotely like it? See, what I am finding is that our 1120AF, though common in Europe, wasn't sold here. Yes, there are variations of the LN2 and the OM366 was used, but not our specific model. See, 4X4 trucks are uncommon here, forget about full time 4WD trucks like ours. Ok, you say, well at least the dealer can order in parts. Well we have been told in Chile that expect 1.5 months from Europe, in Argentina the same but "if it ever arrives through customs". So my advice, if you have specific travel plans outside of USA/Canada/Europe try and get a truck as close to what is available in your planned destinations. For here, a newer manual transmission 4WD Atego would be a better choice as they were sold here (and still are).

Neil

Observer
We had the same issue my model, the 1017a was never sold commercially in South America , although the Chilean army had a few.

However, after we capsized it on the Carretera Austral we limped into Kaufmans Mercedes in Coyhaique with a huge list of parts we needed including some specific 4x4 parts.
I was convinced we would wait months, but that had everything within 24 hours.

I still think Mercedes is a good choice, but not in the same league as Toyota or Nissan.

Kaufmans is your only choice in Chile

Neil

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
We had the same issue my model, the 1017a was never sold commercially in South America , although the Chilean army had a few.

However, after we capsized it on the Carretera Austral we limped into Kaufmans Mercedes in Coyhaique with a huge list of parts we needed including some specific 4x4 parts.
I was convinced we would wait months, but that had everything within 24 hours.

I still think Mercedes is a good choice, but not in the same league as Toyota or Nissan.

Kaufmans is your only choice in Chile

Neil
Yup, Kaufmans is where we are scheduled. Can't get either case gaskets or seals from them. That's the parts we have on order in Ushuaia. Kaufmans is the one that told me the 1.5 months for any parts. They plan on cutting paper gaskets from sheet, putting in inexpensive aftermarket seals (temporary until we get to Ushuaia to get OEM and the only ones available), and I found aftermarket front and rear bearings at "Casa del Rodamiento" or House of Bearings. I'm hoping it's the front bearing and that's all we need.

Sitec

Adventurer
Late arrival here as I've not been here for months! Did you get any closer to making a decision? We run a 1995 Mercedes 1222A here in Australia. It's the 11 lt V6 OM 441Naturally Asmatic engine coupled to a 6 speed gearbox. We have a 2 speed transfer box and lockable axles front and rear. It's 1 of 4 believed to be imported into Australia for a phone company in the 90's. It's slow, predictable and comfortable. It's also been very reliable. If we push it on the road it see's 40 litres /100km, whereas if we trundle around at 80kmh we see 25litres /100km. The things I want to change... I'd like to find a 10 or 12 speed overdrive gearbox with splitter for better cruising at speed over long distances, and also closer ranges for when in sand.
Parts have not been a problem here in Oz, as a lit of the bit's are still current. Re brakes (someone mentioned converting to disks earlier), we drive Mercedes Arocs 4x4 trucks with work (Tour Trucks), and they are much later all electronic vehicles, but still have hub reduction axles and drum brakes all round. We run up and down the remote rough Gibb River Road in Western Australia, and do it 8 times in a season. We rarely have issues with the later trucks, with the occasional sensor fault, usually down to broken wires. They average 30 litres/100km everywhere (at 100kmh on bitumen and 80kmh on dirt). Going for any of the NG,SK,MK,Atego,Arocs or Actros options would all be good trucks. The NG, SK and MK will all fall in the older price bracket. Point of note, there are a lot of 4x4 NG and SK trucks for sale in the UAE & Middle East. I looked at a few but they are all LHD which didn't suit us here in Australia. Hope this helps (or serves to confuse you even more!). Here's ours! :)

67578D6F-47DD-4AB3-960A-E03D81DA760B.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior