1993 Hilux in Guyana

cozydog

Observer
Had a (kinda) free saturday so loaded up the dogs and visited a colleagues fish farm. Dogs were excited and claimed their spot right away. The truck did great on its first little "highway" drive as well

IMG_1850.jpg
IMG_1852.jpgIMG_1853.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1854.jpg
    IMG_1854.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 17

cozydog

Observer
Nice looking shorthairs. Did they come from the US with you?

Yepp, Originally from Iowa and Minnesota but they went over to Ghana as puppies, returned to the US in May and then moved down here in October. They are tropical shorthair pointers (TSP)

Ikarus

Observer
Yepp solid front axle.

Ikarus, what were you up to down here? any suggestions on places to go? I'm starting a list for once work slows down and I can get a few days off, or even just a weekend.

I was actually down there on a church mission. Lived in Guyana for a year. The further away from Georgetown you get, the more rural it is. Down in Rosignol, Rose Hall, etc. you can find some trails that lead into the bush (rainforest.) It's awesome to just head down there and explore either way. There are quite a few abandoned buildings from the British colonial era. Linden is an interesting place as well - and from there you can head down into the interior. If you're really up for an adventure, try to find an Amerindian from the border of Brazil/Guyana to take you down there. Absolutely gorgeous - prairies, mountains, rainforest, rivers. Very few people living down there.

I love the history down there - the museum in Georgetown was interesting, as well as some of the historical buildings. You can hire boats to take you down the Essequibo river (if I remember right) where there are abandoned Dutch forts and settlements from the 1700s.

lindy

Observer
When we were there in 1992,we went to the zoo in Georgetown. You could literally walk right up †o the cages and pet the wild cats. It looks like it is much more commercialized now compared to when we were there. Enjoy the adventure!

Ikarus

Observer
When we were there in 1992,we went to the zoo in Georgetown. You could literally walk right up †o the cages and pet the wild cats. It looks like it is much more commercialized now compared to when we were there. Enjoy the adventure!

Nah, the zoo is still like that. A guy I was with almost got smacked by a lion. haha

cozydog

Observer
no more lion at the zoo. A rasta set it lose and they had to shoot it.

We are headed down to the rupununi for new years. So we'll be getting our first taste of the interior.

cozydog

Observer
Planning a trip to the rupununi for New Years. Its been fairly dry the last couple weeks so hopefully the road won't be too bad. I'll post up some pics when I return. Excited for the first big trip!

cozydog

Observer
thanks for the reminder, had plans to to do a nice write up but as always after taking a few days off work I spend the next 3 weeks playing catch up.

Overall it was a great trip. We made it down to Annai and Rock View lodge who were gracious enough to stay open for new years and welcome us and our dogs. After dire warnings about the road and ferry crossings we decided to get an early start on the 31st and left georgetown around 3:00am. Made it to Linden no problems but then got turned around in town, you always think the the main road in the country would be easy to follow through a small town but we missed to the turn and hit the dirt roads sooner than planned with a detour through a neighborhood and farm.
Once on the main road we quickly hit the dirt road for good. Not so bad or maybe since it was still dark I couldn't see how bad it was. Sun came up around six and had our breakfast break around 7. from here on out the road only improved. Ferry was no problem just got the timing wrong and had to wait about 45 minutes for the next hourly departure.

After the ferry you enter the iwokrama rainforest reserve where we were treated to lots of birds, monkeys, laba, and capybaras. Pictures were hard to take because they were moving to fast but the wife said they were hard to take because we were moving to fast. About this time we also hit some rain and while the road became a bit slick we just had to through it into 4x4 to keep the speed up but had to watch out for lots of wooden bridges.

Just outside of Annai you climb out of the jungle and into the savannah. All told we did about 280 miles in 8 hours of driving time and 10.5 hours with stops. Way back was much the same but we went with a 6am departure and were able to do the whole route in daylight. Bad roads here are a bit different from bad roads in Africa mostly due to the reduced traffic, although i hear the it has been recently improved and we also hit it following a dry period--sounds like it can turn into a real swamp during the rainy season.
Rock View lodge is a great place to stay! We spent 3 days relaxing and just walking around the area. Will make a return trip and hit the other lodges in the area.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 15

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member