1997 Isuzu Trooper questions

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I'm looking at buying a 97 Trooper from a buddy. What common issues are there for me to look for? It is a V6, automatic, cloth, PW/PL, sunroof. Is there a good aftermarket for these? (ARB, Safari Snorkel, gearing options, etc). Would this make a good first car for one of my twin daughters?

Thanks,

With gas prices what they are I think I would be looking for an economical gas sipper for the girls. That is unless they like to drive off road also! :)

There have been some pretty cool buildups of these vehicles. They have better support then my Montero that's for sure but still not as much as say the Toyota or Jeep crowd. Post pics if and when you get it.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
For my daughters, I'd really like to find a mid 70's Ford F250 4x4 with a 4 speed and a V8. Big, slow, not really fun to drive, won't hold but 3 people, and gets crap mileage so they won't go too far.

Speaker

Adventurer
MoGas said:
Is there a good aftermarket for these? (ARB, Safari Snorkel, gearing options, etc).
Yes and no. Only real "aftermarket" I know of is independent4x.com They fab their own winch bumers for the 97 models. Rock sliders too. There's a snorkel out there for $450+-
MoGas said:
Would this make a good first car for one of my twin daughters?
I would say yes, simply because they are pretty reliable, super cheap, great in the snow (hey, it's Flagstaff). Very good stock offroad too. Your daughters can run them into dumpsters and shopping carts and it won't really matter. On the other hand, there is a chance of roll-over with these things, and teens are known to be a little reckless. So... watch out.

I'm not really an Isuzu expert (or novice) myself. I owned a first gen trooper and now this one, so I thought I'd answer. These guys, however, know a lot about them

robertdarin

Adventurer
watch oil consuption, the 3.2 has a bad reputation for burning it, but if you watch it then they will run forever. as for the rollover risk, buy some ome springs and some good shocks. the trooper's ride was kind of mushey in the stock form in the U.S. (they were trying to hit the lux. market) the arb springs will do the trick i believe the 912s would be the ones you would need.

MoGas said:
For my daughters, I'd really like to find a mid 70's Ford F250 4x4 with a 4 speed and a V8. Big, slow, not really fun to drive, won't hold but 3 people, and gets crap mileage so they won't go too far.

Nice! Easy to keep tabs on! :)

AFSOC

Explorer
Comfortable drivers, not very much aftermarket support at all. I'd venture to guess that if it is for your daughters that aftermarket support isn't much of a factor in your decision. Shocks, tires and brakes are about all the aftermarket you may need.

I was in the market for a DD/weekend camping vehicle about two years ago. Trooper was on my candidate list. After test driving and tire kicking I went away from them mainly because three out of five I looked at were high consumers of oil. These were the cleanest and lowest milage examples advertised locally. It seemed to me (from my sample size of 5) that 100K is about all you can expect before the appetite for 10W30 kicks in. This impression is give or take for variables of course, but that was just too high a likelihood for my purposes. I also found that routine PM items are a little more costly and a little less likely to be in stock at the local parts supply stores. When all was said and done, the Trooper only met my criteria for 'looks cool' and 'comfortable to drive'. My more important value criterias: cost of ownership, ease of maintenance, aftermarket support and (the hardest of all to quantify) potential reliability are what rapidly disqualified Trooper for me. This is just how I vetted my decision. Best of luck finding something safe and solid for transporting your most valuable cargo.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I think it would be a good purchase. The 3.2 prior to 98 were not the consumate oil guzzlers of the 3.5 derived post 98 models. Indy 4X4 has some very nice and quality aftermarket, but also check with Rocky Road. They carry a full line of ARB products. Last time I checked the OME suspension was around $400, the snorkel about $325, and I don't remember what the ARB bumpers were running. I think it would be worth it to check out. Super capable in stock form, and if you do get an oil hungry motor, as long as you keep it topped off it will last a long time. Just my$.02

jl8088

Adventurer
The second generation Trooper received some bad press in the United States when the 1995-1997 models were rated "Not Acceptable" by Consumer Reports for their tendency to roll over during testing. In a lawsuit brought by Isuzu against Consumers Union, the court found that some of the magazine's statements showed a "reckless disregard" for the truth. The court found in favor for Isuzu on 60% of the claims in the suit.

Take it for what it is worth.....

Personally, i hold the trooper very high in my books based on the poor resale value (good used car) for a SUV that is overbuilt (size of axle, low gearing).

The 99-01 models have the 3.5 liter engine and longer control arms/wider axels based on the bad press. Keep an eye on the oil level, 1 qt per 1000 miles can be normal! I bougt my '99 with 85K for $4200. That's a deal for what i've already taken it thru.

SGV

Adventurer
jl8088 said:
T
Personally, i hold the trooper very high in my books based on the poor resale value (good used car) for a SUV that is overbuilt (size of axle, low gearing).

The 99-01 models have the 3.5 liter engine and longer control arms/wider axels based on the bad press. Keep an eye on the oil level, 1 qt per 1000 miles can be normal! I bougt my '99 with 85K for $4200. That's a deal for what i've already taken it thru.

All things being equal, would a 98+ be preferable to the 97- based on the engine, control arms, and axle; or are these moot points? Are these the only differences? As far as the aftermarket, with suspension and bumpers available, how much more do you need? I am guessing underbody protection can be found as well for the Trooper.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
roof_rack.jpg

Here is a nice one.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
SGV said:
All things being equal, would a 98+ be preferable to the 97- based on the engine, control arms, and axle; or are these moot points? Are these the only differences? As far as the aftermarket, with suspension and bumpers available, how much more do you need? I am guessing underbody protection can be found as well for the Trooper.

Besides the engine and some facia changes there is no difference between the 97 and the 98 models. Transmission, axles, suspension, diffs, interior, etc are all the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears