1997 Isuzu Trooper questions

Hayduke950

Observer
I own a '95 that has seen many hard miles off road (I was a flyfishing guide and used it to get folks to the high lakes around here). It has gone many places my clients couldn't believe, and it has always been reliable- replaced a clutch at 120,000 miles and that's it. It now uses a little bit of oil (maybe a quart every 2500-3000 miles) but with 165,000 miles on it, it has been a great machine. I plan to keep it alot longer.

53684123_uK8xb-M.jpg

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
robertdarin said:
the underbody is skid plated from the factory;)

Huh what? Mine isn't. I have a wimpy plate covering the steering gear (some of it) and fuel tank skid. Everything else is totally exposed and vulnerable -- oil pan, transmission/pan/t-case, exhaust components, frame/cross members, diffs, suspension mounts (rear links). I'm pretty sure I have the full (fully lacking) factory treatment. Is there any chance you have some goodies from a previous owner or maybe LS got pieces that the base model lacks?

robertdarin

Adventurer
i also have a transfer skid and some others... dont know they all look factory. i never realy looked into it before. Did well on elephant hill the other day too! i banged a couple of them quite hard.

Incusus

Adventurer
my '99 came with some nice plates under the tranny, diff, and of course the thinner ones for the gas tank and front end. Not sure it that was an option, or standard...

Incusus

Adventurer
Hayduke950 said:
I own a '95 that has seen many hard miles off road (I was a flyfishing guide and used it to get folks to the high lakes around here). It has gone many places my clients couldn't believe, and it has always been reliable- replaced a clutch at 120,000 miles and that's it. It now uses a little bit of oil (maybe a quart every 2500-3000 miles) but with 165,000 miles on it, it has been a great machine. I plan to keep it alot longer.

53684123_uK8xb-M.jpg

Thats a nice looking truck, 'duke

Hayduke950

Observer
Incusus said:
Thats a nice looking truck, 'duke

Hey! How'd you guess my real name? (it's Duke).

Thanks- That was before I added the OME 912 springs, so it was sagging a bit under a heavy load. Wishing I had gotten the next stiffer springs now- I often carry a motorcycle on the hitch carrier these days.

She's getting a bit old and worn looking, with lot's of "Colorado Pinstriping", etc. but I can't think of a truck I'd rather have. It has taken me to some crazy places, for sure.

jl8088

Adventurer
SGV said:
All things being equal, would a 98+ be preferable to the 97- based on the engine, control arms, and axle; or are these moot points? Are these the only differences? As far as the aftermarket, with suspension and bumpers available, how much more do you need? I am guessing underbody protection can be found as well for the Trooper.

For me, i'd definitely stick with a 98-01 trooper with the bigger 3.5L engine and longer control arms/rear axle and probably lower miles. And yes, the trooper comes with stock underbody protection which is nice, although not as beefy as some aftermarket stuff you could find for other vehicles.

"Old Man Emu" makes suspension parts tailored specifically for the trooper that i'd look into if i were you (very good quality). Check out indepedent4x.com for other aftermarket goodies.

double moo

Adventurer
GeoTracker90 said:
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but the Isuzu Trooper IIRC has a Dana 44 rear axle stock.

Mike

I think you are confusing the Trooper with the Rodeo. Some - but not all years - of the Rodeo had the D44 rears. The Trooper, being built in Japan, did not have the Dana rears. I believe the Trooper rear is slightly beefier than the D44... but not a D60. They are of a third member design - like the toyo LCs.

Planetisuzu.com will have gobs of info on this.

Moo

robertdarin

Adventurer
the ring gear on the 12 bolt rear is acttually almost identical to the dana 60. and yes all troopers came with the 12 bolt exept for the 87-88 (i think) witch came with 8 bolt front and 10 bolt rear.

bootzilla

Adventurer
Hayduke950 said:

A Trooper, a bike, and a dirt road - does that look like the best day ever, or what?

That front plate is pretty stout - the service manual has it listed as a lifting point for the entire front end, and it doesn't bend when you do, so I'd imagine it would take a pretty good lick.

The 3.5L will get you the most power, but there are plenty of 3.2's that are just as reliable.

Some of the 3.5's do burn oil, but it isn't a big deal as long as you check it every so often. There was supposed to be a fix for the '01 and '02's, but my '02 still burns some - using Shell Rotella HD oil has really helped in my case.

I have had bad luck with my transmission, but that seems to be a rare thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears