1997 SR Mastadon Build

kalieracer

Observer
Truck making some noise

Started out with 1997 SR, with a blown motor. Current State of my build.

3.8L Mivec motor swapped in
Headers
3inch exhaust from the y pipe back
Hybrid intake manfold with VICS
Custom PNP ECU (using the stock harness) ECU with Knock control, vics, mivec and electric fan control
Custom Alloy radiator with uprated transcooler
Custom airbox with water proof snorkel connection - next phase of project
SPAL AC fan upgrade.
SPAL 16inch cooling fan - Next phase project
Uprated oil and externa transcooler / with spal fan - Nextphase project
AEM Wideband Controller
Waterless coolant
170degree tstat
4.63 regear (pending install)
Front locker (pending install)
160a Custom alternator
uprated charge wires and grounds

Chassis -
Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks with LSC adjusters - Custom valved and sized (Pending install)
Siberian Bushings all around
KING (AU) HD rear springs
ADD Swayaway HD torsions
315mm Slotted Cryo treated front big brakes with EBC Red (prototype pads)
Slotted Cryo Treated rear brake rotors
SS extended brake lines and chassis to axle extended line
ADD armor - Next phase of project
Sliders - Next phase of project
16x8 Forged Weld Outbacks with 285/75 Pirelli MTR tires.

Body
99 Safari Grill
99 Head lights
Euro clear corners
Stech switch system
Debadged
Window visors
Alloy roof rack - next phase project
bumpers - next phase project

Interior -
Bouncy seats - Pending install
rear compartment build with second battery- Next phase project

Lighting -
Looking for suggestions.

Last edited:

bryAWD

Observer
This all sounds like an incredible build, let's see some photos!

That 3.8 swap is quite interesting.

PacS14

Adventurer
Thanks for making the thread for those of us without Facebook! Can't wait for the pictures man!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Can you compile a complete simplified parts list for the 3.8 swap? With so many 3.8's in the yards it would be a no-brainer to swap them in instead of rebuilding the 3.5.

kalieracer

Observer
That has long been done you can find that on the MMUSA FB group or the ADD forum. I have done lots of sheets for info. Cooling tech, big brake upgrades... front end rebuild parts. Timing belt service parts lists. I even have vendors who sell OEM/OES / Japanese parts as packages to make it easy. In any case the non Mivec motor is the way to go for 95% of the people as it is mostly drop in. Mivec is more involved as everything needs to be upgraded.

Can you compile a complete simplified parts list for the 3.8 swap? With so many 3.8's in the yards it would be a no-brainer to swap them in instead of rebuilding the 3.5.

Last edited:
Reactions: plh

kalieracer

Observer
For those with 97-00 trucks any 3.8 FWD non mivec motor, just strip it to the long block. tap a couple of oil pan bolts, swap over the oil pump. pan and pick up and all the parts from the 3.5. Depending on the block you might have to extend or tap a boss for motor mounts. Nothing else is needed since everything is already there from you 97-00 truck. You can not use motors from 01-06 truck they do not work and the swap does not work for them as replacement. Since the oil pump and water pumps / acc brackets do not bolt up.

plh

Explorer
You can not use motors from 01-06 truck they do not work and the swap does not work for them as replacement. Since the oil pump and water pumps / acc brackets do not bolt up.

I'm a bit confused reading this statement. Are you saying that the 3.5l \ 3.8l from the Gen 3 trucks won't swap into the 97 - 00 trucks? I think I understand this correctly.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
For those with 97-00 trucks any 3.8 FWD non mivec motor, just strip it to the long block. tap a couple of oil pan bolts, swap over the oil pump. pan and pick up and all the parts from the 3.5. Depending on the block you might have to extend or tap a boss for motor mounts. Nothing else is needed since everything is already there from you 97-00 truck. You can not use motors from 01-06 truck they do not work and the swap does not work for them as replacement. Since the oil pump and water pumps / acc brackets do not bolt up.

What about the 96 models?

kalieracer

Observer
That is correct, the gen 3 + petrol motors use a different bolt pattern for the oil and water pumps and accessory cradles. This means you can not use a FWD 3.8 to swap in as a replacement in to a Gen 3 or use a gen 3 motor to swap in to Gen 2 97-00 truck.

I'm a bit confused reading this statement. Are you saying that the 3.5l \ 3.8l from the Gen 3 trucks won't swap into the 97 - 00 trucks? I think I understand this correctly.

kalieracer

Observer
I posted the excel files detailing what parts are needed to get the 94-96 trucks swapped to 3.8. It is possible and they make more power in those trucks but you need many parts from 3.5 SOHC truck (Full size) mostly the oil pan and pick up. Rest of the stuff can be snagged from a sport 3.5 like the water pipes and accessory cradle

What about the 96 models?

Thanks for making a build thread on this! Are you sticking with the 4.63s? I have a set sitting in my room but I've been torn about making the switch to 4.9's even though I don't plan on going any larger than 32's.

Would love to see more photos of your rig!

icant4x4heretoo

That has long been done you can find that on the MMUSA FB group or the ADD forum. I have done lots of sheets for info. Cooling tech, big brake upgrades... front end rebuild parts. Timing belt service parts lists. I even have vendors who sell OEM/OES / Japanese parts as packages to make it easy. In any case the non Mivec motor is the way to go for 95% of the people as it is mostly drop in. Mivec is more involved as everything needs to be upgraded.

Links please, google goes to dark on me and bring me to some weird places...haha

kalieracer

Observer
My Truck has 4.27 gears. So I am moving up a bit, not sure I want 4.90s with how much more power my truck has now.

Thanks for making a build thread on this! Are you sticking with the 4.63s? I have a set sitting in my room but I've been torn about making the switch to 4.9's even though I don't plan on going any larger than 32's.

Would love to see more photos of your rig!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998