1998 Cherokee Laredo

pint

Adventurer
I might inherit a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4 from my parents for my soon to be 16 year old son. It has 132K on the 6 cylinder and had been pretty well taken care of. I know NOTHING about Jeeps! Sorry, I have been a Toyota guy, but need to learn! My mom is retiring and they are going down to one vehicle. How reliable is the 6 cylinder? I thought I heard it can go 200-300K with proper maintenance? Is there a good factory service manual for general maintenance? What kind of PM should I expect on a 132K vehicle...belts, hoses, plugs, etc? I run Mobil 1 everywhere in my Land Cruiser. What do you guys recommend for the engine, tranny, diffs, transfer case, etc? Any trouble spots I need to watch out for??? If we get the truck, I want to get all PM's up to date, and then a mild lift and tires. The Jeep will be driven mostly on the road, but used for some camping, skiing, and mild back country adventure.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
XJs are more or less bulletproof. Inspect the fluids and plugs and just start following the maintenance guide in the users manual and/or FSM and enjoy.

Seeing as the vehicle is owned by a family member I'd be inclined to continue the already existing maint sched.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Have a look at the water pump if you can and see if it's been replaced. Also look into the Crank Position Sensor, and the ball joints to name a few things. THey have issues, but if it hasn't been wheeled (and seeing as you KNOW the history of the rig comintg from your folks...) then it should be in good shape. As a first truck/4x4 for your son it'll be great.

Cheers

Dave

pint

Adventurer
Never been wheeled...maybe a gravel road, but that's it! My dad is religious about changing fluids, rotating tires, etc, but doesn't necessarily do specific 30K, 60K, 90K maintenance. The truck is in good shape, but I'm guessing will maybe needs plugs, belts, etc. Does Jeep have a good factory service manual? Toyota offers a nice set for my Land Cruiser. Costs a couple hundred bucks new, but has saved me thousands!

Have a look at the water pump if you can and see if it's been replaced. Also look into the Crank Position Sensor, and the ball joints to name a few things. THey have issues, but if it hasn't been wheeled (and seeing as you KNOW the history of the rig comintg from your folks...) then it should be in good shape. As a first truck/4x4 for your son it'll be great.

Cheers

Dave

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Search online. Complete FSM is out there in PDF format - in multiple iterations and vintages. You want the 2000XJ one with the wiring diagrams.

pint

Adventurer
I won't be getting the truck for a few months, just trying to prepare. What do you guys recommend for fluids...oil, tranny, etc? What about an inexpensive 2" or so lift?

M

modelbuilder

Do you mean Jeep GRAND CHEROKEE Laredo?

There is no such thing as a Jeep Cherokee Laredo.

The 1998 Grand is a ZJ not an XJ.

M

modelbuilder

Ahh cool. I did not know that.

But the OP is talking about an ZJ not an XJ correct?

pint

Adventurer
So it's a ZJ. With proper maintenance, what kind of lifespan can I expect out of the engine, tranny, etc? Any major problem areas to watch for? It's going to be driven by my 16 year old son....

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
The 42re auto trans behind the 4.0L has it's share of failures. My 98 lasted till 160K miles, $1400 for a rebuild. With your pops maintenance it may go longer if your son can keep his foot out of it.

Theres lots of 4.0L's well over 300K, keep the maintenance a top priority.

Show us some pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12