1998 Cherokee Laredo

Mashurst

Adventurer
Assuming it has a 231 tcase you will want to go with the expensive dealer fluid. others can damage the synchros.

GTABurnout

Explorer
Assuming it has a 231 tcase you will want to go with the expensive dealer fluid. others can damage the synchros.

I and many others have run typical tranny fluid in these 231's I was told you can also use gear type oil but keeping it the same as the tranny is ok as well...

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Jeep NV transfer cases require ATF.

The only "expensive dealer fluid" preferred in a ZJ is for the ChryCo transmission. Transfer case is nothing special.

Booner

Observer
My 98 ZJ Laredo has 130K trouble free miles. BDS 3.5 suspension with 1" aluminum spacers, BDS discos, JKS trackbars, and Hankook MT 32s all around. Will soon have Detroit TruTracs F/R. The ZJ is fun on the trail and great on the street. Enjoy yours.

pint

Adventurer
Looks like I'm gonna inherit the truck next month. My dad is having his mechanic go through it looking for any major issues (shouldn't be any), put in a new battery and shocks. A couple questions:

I've driven the truck a few times and there has always been a front end vibration. Doesn't bother my parents, but it does me. It's not the tires. Could it be tie rod ends or any other ideas?

Also, what is the largest tire I can fit comfortably without a lift? It's gonna need tires and I'm thinking BFG AT/KO's. I love Nitto Terra Grapplers, but I don't think they make a tire small enough?

Thanks in advance.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
You mention the vibration to the mechanic?

He should be looking at the axleshaft and driveshaft u-joints, driveshaft slipyoke, pinion bearing, bent wheel, alignment, tracbar, steering ... you get the idea.

30x9.50 is about the largest you can go and still have clearance for some mild offroading. The BFG's would be an excellent choice IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12