2 Adults, 5 Kids, Every Country in North and South America in a Veggie Powered F250

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
Um, yeah, the latter.

Just kidding. :)

But actually, they do talk in their website about how they are funding their travel by selling stuff they believe in. And for the record, we asked them to share their ongoing trip here with us on ExPo, they didn't come here to market anything.

Thanks for the invite! We're glad to be here.

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
Montezuma's Castle

I was walking out of work when I saw the F250 in the parking lot at Montezuma Castle National Monument. I knew immediately who they were and had to go back in and tell them they should visit Adventure Overland and Overland Journal. They had been there the previous day! The kids ARE great, and I had a wonderful time talking with them about the Sinagua who lived in the cliff dwelling 900 years ago (and helping a little with their "Junior Ranger" stuff too). I have met many people here who are doing the AK-to-Argentina trip as well as globe-trotting, and I'd say I have most enjoyed the few minutes I spent with them. Best wishes!

It was great to talk to you! And at such a fascinating stop too.

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
Absolutely.

Suffice it to say that if your main source of information is from the Media, you are sadly very mis-informed. Mods, please don't let this great thread become yet another "is it safe in Mexico" mash. I hope you have the ability to delete them if they start, this one included. If folks really want to delve deep into this subject see the "is mexico safe" thread on ADV and get a big lunch.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546927&highlight=mexico+safe

Great adventure you are on and a wonderful inspiration to all especially those with families. thank you!

I love the quote you have in your signature! One of our favorites, and we've proven it to be truth :)

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
No veil at all. They are pretty up-front about it.

Whether you guys can find veggie south of the border or not, having the on-board filter setup should reduce problems with dirty fuel.

Keep up on the worldschooling, they will remember it.

We're definitely experimenting with the veggie south of the border. It will be a recon mission for future veggie overlanders :)

We have heard that it's easy to get in Mexico (from a veggie owner who lives there), but we'll see.

As for the worldschooling, as my 7 year old says "Home school is boring, worldschool is awesome!" We won't be stopping anytime soon.

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
Oh, I am sooooo using that one!!!! As for being prepared, true preparedness is what you carry in between your ears, not whats on your back. All the "gee-wiz" gear and toys don't mean anything if you have no common sense. I think you guys are more than prepared. :elkgrin:

I love that - "Preparedness is what you carry in between your ears, not what's on your back."

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
Navajo Reservation and Lake Powell

After crossing into Arizona, we stopped at Lake Powell right at Glen Canyon Dam. My husband has jumped into Lake Powell here every time he's driven past (including when we drove to Costa Rica in 2007). We swam and cliff-dived this time (even me!) it was heavenly.

We camped on a Navajo Reservation in Arizona. After stopping at a little roadside stand, the woman offered to let us camp on her land across the street. She just told us to watch out for her llamas, because they would lick us (we never saw them).

Then we ate fry bread and mutton in Tuba City the next day. When we pulled up to the 'swap meet', my kids said "Are we in Mexico?" It was fascinating to experience another culture right here in the U.S.

Lake-Powell-47.jpg

trailsurfer

Explorer
I have travelled quite a bit in Mexico, and will be there in less than 3 weeks on my way to Panama (motorcycle). Have you all thought about going down the Baja peninsula and then crossing over on the ferry in La Paz to the mainland?

Baja is such a unique place with so much to do and see, I think you all would love it, and it can be done so inexpensively with all of the open land for camping.

Good luck! Hope to see you on the road.

JJMAC

Adventurer
Ok. The two major questions that I cant find answered on your website are the following:

1) Where do you get the money to do this? Who pays the bills? How? What do you do to earn money? Who covers your health insurance? How do you pay for situations that require money? Truck breaks down? Bathing? Health Issues? Books? Equipment? Tires? Food? Etc?

2) Your children are going to be out of school for 3 years right? How are you going to be able to get your nine year old into school when he/she is 13 or 14? Are you comfortable in your home schooling that they will be prepared in life?

Mac

r_w

Adventurer
2) Your children are going to be out of school for 3 years right? How are you going to be able to get your nine year old into school when he/she is 13 or 14? Are you comfortable in your home schooling that they will be prepared in life?

As a homeschool Dad that question is one of my big pet peeves--that and "what about socialization?"

You have to teach the 3 R's and the kids' curiousity will take care of the rest if you don't screw it up.

JJMAC

Adventurer
That didnt answer the question. I understand the concept. I understand kids can be taught by anyone the "3 R's". My question is how to re-enter them into the reality that is high school and college. Will a school accept them? How? Credentials? Etc. These are legitimate questions and not criticism.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior