2 Adults, 5 Kids, Every Country in North and South America in a Veggie Powered F250

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
That didnt answer the question. I understand the concept. I understand kids can be taught by anyone the "3 R's". My question is how to re-enter them into the reality that is high school and college. Will a school accept them? How? Credentials? Etc. These are legitimate questions and not criticism.

You can homeschool your kids all the way through high school. There are tons of resources available. Homeschooled kids often place higher on University entrance exams than kids who have gone through regular school.

It is not for everyone, but for many people homeschooling is a viable option.

r_w

Adventurer
That didnt answer the question. I understand the concept. I understand kids can be taught by anyone the "3 R's". My question is how to re-enter them into the reality that is high school and college. Will a school accept them? How? Credentials? Etc. These are legitimate questions and not criticism.

Sorry, it was a hot button.

If they want to go to college, take the SAT and fill out your forms like anyone else. In many states homeschooling is really a private non-accredited school. They can have records and transcripts.

How do normal HS or college kids re-enter the reality that is the world? That is a lot tougher problem. The sooner and more you can show your kids the REAL WORLD the better.

I LOVE the tagline "Take the Kids" If more people did that, the world would be a better place. Go Dennings!

JJMAC

Adventurer
ok. Fair enough. But the question still looms... how is the OP paying expenses on this? It is difficult for me to comprehend the travels and home-schooling as a reality without being a leech on the system. In other words, how to cover you health care and expenses for a trip like this. To take 3 years and travel. It takes money. Where is that money coming from? Part time jobs? If so, that is GREAT!

But if the money is coming from inheritance, gifts, etc. If the health coverage is coming from social services, I have issues with that and makes it difficult for me to comprehend...

Beachboyy

Adventurer
But if the money is coming from inheritance, gifts, etc. If the health coverage is coming from social services, I have issues with that and makes it difficult for me to comprehend...

why would it matter if it was an inheritance? this makes no sense. even if it was its their inheritance and as far as i know they could spend it any way they wish (which a 3 year trip is a pretty awesome way to do it!).

On another note this is a great trip and you are an inspiration to all of us parents who have a hard time just getting the kids out of the house to the grocery store, much less half way around the world.

D

Deleted member 9101

I am still trying to figure out why it is of anybody's business how they are paying for this trip!!! I mean really, lay off these people and stop being so judgmental!

haven

Expedition Leader
The Dennings are no strangers to criticism from people who can't wrap their heads around their unconventional approach to family life. That criticism can sting.

Here are two blog entries that provide insight into how difficult it can be to handle the criticism, and how the Dennings try to respond to people who are quick to pass judgement. I think we all can learn from their example.

http://www.discovershareinspire.com/2011/08/warding-off-an-attack-of-the-zombie-dream-slayers/

http://www.discovershareinspire.com/2011/08/the-morning-after-regret-its-okay-to-be-you/

D

Deleted member 9101

The Dennings are no strangers to criticism from people who can't wrap their heads around their unconventional approach to family life. That criticism can sting.

Here are two blog entries that provide insight into how difficult it can be to handle the criticism, and how the Dennings try to respond to people who are quick to pass judgement. I think we all can learn from their example.

http://www.discovershareinspire.com/2011/08/warding-off-an-attack-of-the-zombie-dream-slayers/

http://www.discovershareinspire.com/2011/08/the-morning-after-regret-its-okay-to-be-you/

If people are so concerned with how others live life, why do they take it out on people who are obviously healthy, happy, and enjoying every moment while they are on this earth? It is a little disturbing how much criticism they receive from perfect strangers on this website.

Unfortunately, unlike the Dennings I lack the patience and good nature to be polite to people who woudl treat me as they have been treated. If someone throws rocks, I'd throw bricks back...lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

cwsqbm

Explorer
I am still trying to figure out why it is of anybody's business how they are paying for this trip!!! I mean really, lay off these people and stop being so judgmental!

People are endlessly judgement about other people's money. Just look at how most expensive projects on this site get attacked. As if its a crime that someone has a good job and can afford something I can't.

Little Red

Adventurer
Thanks for sharing your amazing journey here on Expedition Portal.

I think most of the people that are criticizing you for making this journey are really jealous that you are able to do all this amazing stuff.
I know from personal experience that it takes a lot of courage to live a lifestyle like you guys are.
I grew up in the Netherlands and always wanted to move to the US. I had no money saved up to speak of and had no idea how things were going to work out, but one day I decided I was going to pursue my dreams. I received a lot of criticism and most people did not think I would make it.
But I believed in myself and I sold almost everything I had and made just enough money to buy a one way plane ticket to Washington State and have about 1500 dollars left for when I got there. For the first 3 months I had an internship with the USFS. After that I was on my own. It’s been over 5 years ago now, and I now own a home and have a good paying job.
It been an adventure to say the least and I had to work very hard to get where I am now, but all those people that thought I could not do it or criticized me, well I proved them wrong.

My motto is: “the only thing in life that is impossible to accomplish is that which you don’t truly believe in”.

I wish you guys the very best in your journey ahead.

D

Deleted member 9101

People are endlessly judgement about other people's money. Just look at how most expensive projects on this site get attacked. As if its a crime that someone has a good job and can afford something I can't.

Exactly, it baffles me to no end.

Dgurley2000

Adventurer

They would probably be bored with a brick and mortar school. I know I would be if I was used seeing things out of a text book in-person. Think about studying the biology of a rainforest in-person vs. making models, doing worksheets, and taking multiple-choice tests.

money

[chat about the Dennings approach to financing their trip deleted. See post above. -- Chip Haven]

I do have a few questions for the Dennings:

of the 113,xxx miles currently on your truck, how many have been "veggie" miles?
how many fuel filters have you used so far on the trip?
in your budget you have "truck parts -$197.06" - is that maintenance items like oil changes and glow plug relays - or is that wear items like tires - or is that improvements like extra cup holders and heavy duty floor mats?
have you considered the extra cost of maintenance and wear & tear on the truck running veggie oil vs. the cost of fuel and decreased wear & tare / possibly longer vehicle life?
what preventative maintenance was done to the truck before you left for your trip?
do you have any pictures of the third row you installed?

Last edited:

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
Baja

I have travelled quite a bit in Mexico, and will be there in less than 3 weeks on my way to Panama (motorcycle). Have you all thought about going down the Baja peninsula and then crossing over on the ferry in La Paz to the mainland?

Baja is such a unique place with so much to do and see, I think you all would love it, and it can be done so inexpensively with all of the open land for camping.

Good luck! Hope to see you on the road.

Sounds awesome, but that won't be a part of our trip this time. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan