2000 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel - Wheel recommendation

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
I bought a new to me 2000 Ram 2500. It came with 18x9 rims that I hate. Plans are to eventually put a camper in the bed, not a huge one, something that fits the bed length, probably a hard top. I have wanted to switch to 16x8 wheels, but I keep finding some great deals on 17x9 wheels.

I know 16's will offer a better ride. 17's a slightly a stiffer side wall. Use of the setup will be a mix of highway and forest service roads and some two-tracks in the mountains, nothing too crazy. Tire size I'm planning for is approximately 33"-34" x 12.5".

16" tires are cheaper, which is appealing. But, what do ya'll recommend? Would the 17's offer any real advantages over the 16's? I really like the look of 16' with the larger sidewall, especially on these older trucks.

Kingsize24

If you plan on sticking to that size tire. Why not find you some factory 4th gen power wagon wheels. Then run the factory size tire for it. I've seen them on plenty of 2nd and 3rd gens and they looks great.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
As time continues 16 inch tire offerings will become less and less as OEM's no longer use 16 inch tires on large trucks and the aftermarket will continue to shrink their offerings due to slow sales.

17 inch wheels offer far more available tire sizes now and into the future. The ride difference is so small it's not a consideration unless you go with low profile 17 inch tires which makes little sense for off-road use.

How long are you going to keep the truck?

wrekreate

As time continues 16 inch tire offerings will become less and less as OEM's no longer use 16 inch tires on large trucks and the aftermarket will continue to shrink their offerings due to slow sales.

17 inch wheels offer far more available tire sizes now and into the future. The ride difference is so small it's not a consideration unless you go with low profile 17 inch tires which makes little sense for off-road use.

vintageracer nailed it. If something happens when you are traveling, the 17 inch tire size should be much more readily available and easier to find in a pinch.

ramblinChet

@Kingsize24 provided a great recommendation regarding OEM Power Wagon wheels and tire size.

A critical factor regarding tire and wheel selection that nearly everyone misses is the impact of scrub radius on handling. Factors such as tire size, rim width, suspension lift, and offset all must be considered. Here is a helpful video:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
There is good reason why the truck has 18"s on it.

The best LT tires selection currently for heavy pickups will be for 18"s
17" selection is okay, but 16"s are going away.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
If you plan on sticking to that size tire. Why not find you some factory 4th gen power wagon wheels. Then run the factory size tire for it. I've seen them on plenty of 2nd and 3rd gens and they looks great.
Hmm. I like this idea. I've seen these for sale, but haven't checked them out closely since I was leaning towards 16's. I do like the look though. I don't like the way a lot of modern wheels look on older trucks, but these are pretty sweet!

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer

Thanks for this info. 16's are so much cheaper, well, $50 a tire or so. Guess that ain't much really. I want to keep the truck for a long time. I mean who really knows though. But that's the plan. I definitely don’t want low profile tires.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
vintageracer nailed it. If something happens when you are traveling, the 17 inch tire size should be much more readily available and easier to find in a pinch.
Thank you. this is new to me. I thought 16's would be easy to find, but that's based on my Tacoma, which are obviously not E-rated tires. Well, not mine since it's not an overland truck.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
There is good reason why the truck has 18"s on it.

The best LT tires selection currently for heavy pickups will be for 18"s
17" selection is okay, but 16"s are going away.
Nah, someone bought the cheapest rims they could. Tires are ok though. It was a road queen before I got it. I'm not a fan of the 18's at all. I appreciate the input though.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
@Kingsize24 provided a great recommendation regarding OEM Power Wagon wheels and tire size.

A critical factor regarding tire and wheel selection that nearly everyone misses is the impact of scrub radius on handling. Factors such as tire size, rim width, suspension lift, and offset all must be considered. Here is a helpful video:

Well my brain hurts now. Thanks for posting this. Never heard of it before now. Still not quite sure what to do with the info when it comes to buying wheels?

displacedtexan

Exactly what I was gonna say.

I hate 18s... 17s or 20s.

370HSSV

I have CJC 17' raceline ones. I have heard later style oem wheels without removable hub caps will not fit over the rear full float axles. Might want to look into that if going that route. I chose 17 because it's common, tires are easy to find a lot of size options.

ExpoMike

I have a 2000 Ram 2500 and I am looking to go up to 17" wheels, from the stock 16" ones. The main reason for me is, the front brakes. For 2000-2002 Ram 2500's, they use a slip over front rotor instead of the press from behind hub style of '99 and earlier. Because of this, you can upgrade to the larger 3rd Gen front brakes with very minimal effort. From what I have read, braking performance is greatly enhanced but to use the 3rd Gen brakes, you must go to a 17" wheel.

As and FYI, to upgrades, you need the 3rd Gen rotors, caliper brackets and pads. Remove the stock bracket, rotors and pads, then replace with the new parts. You do NOT need to swap calipers as they are the same dual piston ones. The only difference between the 2nd and 3rd gen calipers is the banjo fitting size.

displacedtexan

I have CJC 17' raceline ones. I have heard later style oem wheels without removable hub caps will not fit over the rear full float axles. Might want to look into that if going that route. I chose 17 because it's common, tires are easy to find a lot of size options.
Who's making an 8 lug wheel without removable center caps?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior