2000 Ext Cab Silverado Z71 - New to me expedition vehicle

dy_lon

Observer
Well there is a good chance i may be picking up a higher mileage 2000 z71 ext cab short bed truck. I currently have a 1995 chevy tahoe - see sig.

I am just mainly wondering everyones thoughts, common issues, etc. It will be mainly for light to moderate trail use ( the blue trails according to the Funtrek books).

I know IFS is an issue. I have only taken my tahoe offroad once and engaged 4wd and i blew out the retaining rings on the cv joint.

I plan to put lift leafs, blocks or shackles or some combo of those in the rear and torsion key the front. Other than that, i will just use the thing to camp in.

Maybe down the road get a roof top tent setup sto place above the bed in an elevated position so I can utilize the bed.

If and when I get it, and make substaintial expedition related upgrades, I will update this thread.

Thanks for the help, ideas and recomendations.

-Dylan

locrwln

Expedition Leader
How many is "higher" mileage?

There are lot of those 5.3's with 250k plus miles, still running like new.

They are good solid trucks with minimal issues.

Good luck with the truck.

Jack

dy_lon

Observer
How many is "higher" mileage?

There are lot of those 5.3's with 250k plus miles, still running like new.

They are good solid trucks with minimal issues.

Good luck with the truck.

Jack

212,xxx miles -- Im not worried because parts are plentiful and I enjoy the build.

I plan to run the same style front bumper as my Tahoe, a pair of Hellas or light forces in the bumper, a 1.5" body lift, 2" keys and 2" lift leafs and some new shocks.

dy_lon

Observer
Update!! Photos and parts ordered

Already completed: Good deep interior clean and exterior clean, removed step bars, chrome wheel well trim and pulled of windo visor plastic things.

Ordered: Open element air filter and tube, 1.5" body lift and front torsion keys, tow mirrors, factory style fender flares, center consle cup holder thing (missing when I bought it).

To do list: Change front and rear diff fluids, motor oil, trans and transfer case oil change, install everything, order matching front and rear bumpers, order shocks, remove some surface rust on the rocker panel at the ext cab door on driver side and a few other items that I can't think of right now.

Pics:

When it was purchased:

IMG_6774.jpg

Small updates:
IMG_3017.jpg
IMG_0298.jpg
IMG_2324.jpg

Let me know what you think!!

-Dylan

Walker

Texas Wanderer
Looks great, I am sure you will have years of enjoyment and modifications to your trail ready Z71.

dy_lon

Observer
Updates -- Many Parts ordered!

Along with my list above, I have ordered

• A Tru Cool 40k trans fluid cooler
  • aluminum transmission pan
  • Improved 4th gear servo
  • Custom front winch bumper
  • Best top Soft top black --I liked that this one has windows, the taligate window is more securely attached
  • Some CB stuff

My brother will drop the truck off and we will do some work on it this weekend. Lots of photos to come.

-Dylan

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Looking forward to seeing the stuff on the truck Dylan!:ylsmoke: Keep us up to date with LOTS OF PICS!:)

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
dy lon:
Looks good keep us posted with pictures.

I drive a 2002 GMC sierra 2500HD crew cab. 6.0 auto
Love the truck! so far it has been very reliable and cost efficient.

1 upper ball joint, outer tie rods, pulse board for the wipers and a board for the heater fan.
The usual, brakes, and rotors and a couple light bulbs.

I am impressed with the simplicity of working on this truck

Attachments

• sierra.JPG
    sierra.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 54

dy_lon

Observer
So far I have:

Body lifted the truck 1.5"
Installed Lift torsion keys
Installed the Bestop Bed cover
Factory fender flares