2000 Tundra "catch and release" expo rig

AddictedOffroad

Adventurer
Took it up to Grey Reef yesterday. No gears yet, and it needs them. Truck did great otherwise though.
aeca5aede0752ec4029e3aa17ca65704.jpg

71b6d2133bb369cf0c07d7c27e23e6ba.jpg

This is the whole purpose of this rig: Family Time
038db81e3f9ddb45db680927b90cf012.jpg

Some more pics of the front bumper.
6a1978206583095ac0ac76d8e670d99e.jpg

92e34a71ea0869535260e2a9ff3e858e.jpg

ea35a2610c5de536dcbbf31dbe2c9fa0.jpg

8dbccc37b50b2561851e655f2424bda4.jpg

Shradicalwyo

Adventurer
I thought I was sold on the tube bumper you guys sell but now I'm in between, that bumper looks really good in your pictures.

I'll definitely be in the area sometime this summer to pick up one of the bumpers. (my family lives in foco)

huntsonora

Explorer
This truck looks even better in person. I went by Addicted Offroad on Friday and Scotty took time away from his day to show me the bumper and the Tundra. He's a GOOD dude

Benc

Explorer
Looks good Scotty!
Curious as to what your going to do for a skid plate?
That's one funky part with putting a high clearance bumper on these truck, the factory skid just doesn't look right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AddictedOffroad

Adventurer
Looks good Scotty!
Curious as to what your going to do for a skid plate?
That's one funky part with putting a high clearance bumper on these truck, the factory skid just doesn't look right.

Ok, so with all the skid plate questions I have gotten, I am going to ask you guys a legit question.

Why?

The radiator is the only thing in question here. Fwiw, if your hitting anything else, then you can't drive. A small fabbed skid to wrap under the radiator would be all that is needed.

I am not "wheeling" a full size truck. Its an expo truck that will see dirt roads/fire roads and an occasion mild trail. Its main purpose is to haul my camper and boat.

Now, I will come up with a skid to appease the masses, but IMO, good driving will be all that is needed.

Benc

Explorer
In that case why protect your radiator, it's higher than the rest, why put on a high clearance offroad bumper?
Because of the unexpected.

There is plenty that needs
protection on an ifs truck,
You may not plan on wheeling your truck but many do, your definition of expo may be different than mine but my expeditions
often lead to trials that I likely should not be on with a full size.
There are some very blunt edges under there as well that cause issue in deep mud or snow. I was only asking because I'm bringing a high clearance bumper to market and have to come up with a skid, To say that the need for skids is due to poor driving ability is quite ignorant IMHO, part of expo is being equipped and prepared for the unexpected and armor and skids are a big part of that IMO.

tyv12

Adventurer
Definately a must, in Canada here your engine bay would be full of snow even on a side road in the winter without skids let alone packing all the cross members with mud or sticks piercing the oil pan, the size of the dents in my stock skid tells me it's definately a must!

AddictedOffroad

Adventurer
In that case why protect your radiator, it's higher than the rest, why put on a high clearance offroad bumper?
Because of the unexpected.

There is plenty that needs
protection on an ifs truck,
You may not plan on wheeling your truck but many do, your definition of expo may be different than mine but my expeditions
often lead to trials that I likely should not be on with a full size.
There are some very blunt edges under there as well that cause issue in deep mud or snow. I was only asking because I'm bringing a high clearance bumper to market and have to come up with a skid, To say that the need for skids is due to poor driving ability is quite ignorant IMHO, part of expo is being equipped and prepared for the unexpected and armor and skids are a big part of that IMO.

Actually, the radiator is the lowest part behind the crossmember. There is nothing else between there and the lower crossmember other than the radiator.

Like I said, I'll come up with something for the masses. And if most of the companies who build aftermarket bumpers for these are trying to use the factory skid, then I wouldn't even consider running one. The skid plate crossmember is .060 wall that mounts it and won't hold up to anything.

Benc

Explorer
Again, I was not trying to start an augment, simply asking what you had planed for the skid. A little surprised by the reply but oh well.
Carry on and keep up the good work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears