2000 Tundra "catch and release" expo rig

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Again, I was not trying to start an augment, simply asking what you had planed for the skid. A little surprised by the reply but oh well.
Carry on and keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch. Me too with the response. Guess your not the only one having a hard time coming up with a high clearance skid plate. I too am building a expo type full size truck. Have already ended up on unexpected tight trails. Dented the factory skid too. If a 1st gen tundra is full size. Than the 2nd gen taco must be full size too lol.

AddictedOffroad

Adventurer
So, with all the wind going to Alcova and back on Fri/Sat I still managed 10mpg going up and 12.1mpg coming back. Pretty surprise it was that good given the wind straight out of the west both ways at similar speeds.

The 4.88s will only help these numbers out.

AddictedOffroad

Adventurer
Got some more stuff done. Its almost ready for fishing expo duty.

Headers got installed as the stock manifolds were cracked at the flange on both sides, and the flutter drives me nuts. It seems a lot of the early 4.7s had this issue. My 01 Sequoia had the same issue and got the same OBX headers. $129 for a good bolt on solution on Ebay. Cannot beat that price!

d0c30b347ff486663b1910266a1311d2.jpg

I regeared it to 4.88s. Love it. I run around 2800rpms at 80mph. Speedo is way off, but I will deal with that later. For now, its ready for fishing/camping season. No issues with torque converter locking/unlocking constantly like with the stock 3.90 gearing. So, towing should be a breeze even with the camper in it.

Another thing that I wanted was a legit center console. I like my Sequoia console MUCH better than the stock Tundra one. The cup holders are worthless in the stock one as they are too big and too low. Drinks just fall over out of it. So, I scored a used one out of a wrecked 05 double cab. This also scored me a rear 12v power source as well that I can use for a fridge behind the seat. I plumbed them into the old harness and have four power plugs now. Then I realized that I could stuff my new amp under it as well to keep it out of sight.

52913dfbe4fb7bf540077f96faa02a22.jpg

6f5b4b923631ff0fb78a7169cac304cc.jpg

The amp drives a Boss 10" low profile sub that I installed under the rear seat. This is a pretty simple mod. I just cut the hole in the original lid, and then packed the cavity with poly-fil. Then self tapped the lid back down to the floor. Works great for some added base and a nice *** massage for a rear passenger.

a3c57b7dcf9151f8fed530890ad246b1.jpg

Scan Gauge II for monitoring tranny temps, water temps, etc. I have one of these for all my vehicles at this point.

72eb4b031e62bf1c15a58e0c490cafef.jpg

Sliders are 84" sliders. These will be a production slider moving forward for all models. The rear has a 5* kickout.

ddbb92a972563970ef0ff067080b3709.jpg

GTV

So, most guys with Tundras do the Tundra 231mm brake upgrade, but this one will be a little different.

I recently torn down a 4th gen 4runner IFS system. So, these are off of a 07 4th gen Sport Edition model. They will ONLY work with 17" wheels and grinding is required as well as 1.25" wheel spacers. But, the rotors are 338mm in diameter and the calipers are 13WH calipers and are also 231mm.

The advantage is that the rotor is another 1" larger in diameter. The rotor slides over the hub just like any other rotor. But, the caliper is just slightly offset to the inside, so it requires shaving down the inner ears on the caliper where it bolts on. You need to take it down about 1/16" to get it to clear. I also had to grind some inner ears on the caliper a little bit. It all clears now as well. I will also be swapping in a 1" bore master cylinder as well.

16" wheels will not work even with 1.25" spacers. These brakes are BIG.

Also, you need to really watch your brake hardlines where they attach to the new caliper. under full turn, they will get very close to the shock itself. So, you need to route them correctly to make they clear on each side at full turn.

Oh yeah, lift is on as well. Just waiting on wheels/tires to get delivered hopefully today.

Here are the old rotors/calipers
View attachment 336620

New stuff. Look at the backing plate for reference on the size difference in rotors
View attachment 336621

View attachment 336622

Awesome build!! A few questions of course... How do you like the brakes so far? Which master cylinder did you upgrade to? Why are spacers required in the front? Thanks!

busmup808

Real nice work being done to this truck. Does your Sequoia have the 2nd row captain chairs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears

Members online