2001 Tundra with OME

jsnow

Adventurer
I just installed a pair of OME 886 coils, and N91S Struts on the front of my Tundra. Major PITA, but it really rides nice! The truck has a ARB Sahara bar, and my front suspension was pretty sacked, so I'm sure it wasn't at factory ride height. It lifted it about 4" from where it was, and is about 1" higher than the rear. I'm hoping it settles down a bit after getting some miles on it. I will try to get some pics up later when I get home.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Talk about a hybrid suspension :cool:

I like your style, I'm running some odd ball OME stuff on my Tacoma. Can't wait to see pics. I guess if it doesn't come down you could always go with an 885?

jsnow

Adventurer
Yeah, I was thinking off the 885, but figured since I have the Sahara, and a winch in the future I would go with the 886's. I might do a 3/4" diff drop if I need to. What's the easiest way to tell if the CV angles are too much? I know another guy put these coils on his 4runner, and I kinda figured that they should be about the same weight on the front. Pics tomorrow, and I need to figure out what to do on the rear. Shackle flip, or add-a-leaf?

jsnow

Adventurer
Well I'm definitely going to have to address the lift. I was just out under the truck pondering the diff drop, and there is already grease coming out of the boots by the diff. I may end up having to go the 885's. Anyone have any advice?

Applejack

Explorer
Well I'm definitely going to have to address the lift. I was just out under the truck pondering the diff drop, and there is already grease coming out of the boots by the diff. I may end up having to go the 885's. Anyone have any advice?

Drop the diff first, it's cheaper than new coils. I don't know if anyone sells them or not but i had a friend machine some 1 1/4 inch spacers to drop the diff on my previous 4runner. 3/4 was not enough.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Agreed on the diff drop. Also how many miles are on those CV's? Its quite possible that the new suspension didn't exactly cause the boots to fail, rather were the 'last straw' for already worn boots. Similar effect on u-joints. Add some new boots and instead of lasting 150,000 miles they may only last another 100,000 :D

Regarding the rear. Are you interested in a full spring or hoping to get by with possible an AAL/Shackle combo? I'm sure we would find an OME AAL that would fit nicely in the pack.. figure that would net you ~1", add some taller shackles and maybe a really modest block (as much as I loathe blocks) you could get a couple inches out of the rear on a budget?

jim65wagon

Quick and easy, and it sounds ghetto, but it works. The grease is likely spitting out of the large end of the inner CV. Go to Lowes and get 2 large worm gear clamps, snip off the CV's stock clamps and tighten the new clamps on. You won't have any more grease problems. It's the old-school solution from Tundrasolutions.com....

jsnow

Adventurer
Kurt you might be right on the cv's being old, he truck has a 193k on it. I will try the Lowes clamp, and a 1" diff drop, and see what happens. Kurt do you know if the Tacoma leafs are the same width as the Tundra's? I have a suspicion that they are, but without one around I can't measure it? Thanks everyone for the advice, and the good ideas.

Jon

java

Expedition Leader
running hose clamps on my 4runner too :)
it was the small end for me, just seemed to pull the boot up a little with the new lift. but the hose clamps fixed it and havent had any issues with it

jsnow

Adventurer
I'm being lazy since it's cold and rainy, so if anyone can post up what size of hose clamp to get I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears