2002 Tahoe "Expedition" build

Spargman

Adventurer
My favorite Tahoe!!

With you running cranked keys for over a year now, how is the suspension holding up? Have you had to crank the keys up due to the front sagging over time? How about the CV's, any issues?

Thanks, I love your rig!

Adventurer
Great looking rig OP.. Props to ya.. I hope to see more pics of your Tahoe soon. I had seen pics of it elsewhere and always wondered whose rig this was.. Great job...

02TahoeMD

Explorer
My favorite Tahoe!!

With you running cranked keys for over a year now, how is the suspension holding up? Have you had to crank the keys up due to the front sagging over time? How about the CV's, any issues?

Thanks, I love your rig!

Thanks for the compliments. Your question was interesting as I had not measured the height since doing the suspension mod in 2008. Cant believe it has been that long ago. Anyway, I have settled both front and rear just a bit over an inch since then, and have thus far (knock on wood, rub a rabbits foot) had no issue with the CVs. I am up to about 85K miles right now. I really hadnt noticed the lowering of the stance any so I guess I wont tinker with it.

Great looking rig OP.. Props to ya.. I hope to see more pics of your Tahoe soon. I had seen pics of it elsewhere and always wondered whose rig this was.. Great job...

Thanks much, I will post up a few pics from this past year. Outer Banks North Carolina and Green Ridge State Forest in Western Maryland. My Digital Rebel is starting to have some issues with finding focus so apologies on the blurry pics.

Ferry ride to Ocracoke Island
IMG_6661.jpg

Up north Corolla, close to Corova
IMG_6727.jpg
IMG_6695.jpg
On the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel center island at sunrise
IMG_6778.jpg

Greenridge day trip
IMG_6886.jpg
IMG_6884.jpg
IMG_6892.jpg
IMG_6880.jpg

Again, my sincerest thanks for the compliments and positive feedback, I do appreciate it. :)

nakota

Observer
I love your Tahoe too, definitely the sweetest NBS I've ever seen! It's been an inspiration for mine :elkgrin:.

That's interesting you didn't have front sag, especially with your heavy front bumper...when the keys were cranked on mine, the front was even with the rear, but with the addition of a Go Rhino push bar there's noticeable sag in front.....my truck has over 200,000 miles though so maybe it's just worn out torsion bars??

Ps, what set up do use for hauling your kayaks? With the taller stance on my truck, I haven't been happy with my J cradles.

Spargman

Adventurer
TahoeMD - that ARB bumper of yours, is it: 3413090 or 3413190??

I looked through the ARB site and can't find 3413090, but did find 3413190

even though i'm OBS, i have a feeling it would mount up with similar mods that you completed...any ideas??

02TahoeMD

Explorer
I love your Tahoe too, definitely the sweetest NBS I've ever seen! It's been an inspiration for mine :elkgrin:.

That's interesting you didn't have front sag, especially with your heavy front bumper...when the keys were cranked on mine, the front was even with the rear, but with the addition of a Go Rhino push bar there's noticeable sag in front.....my truck has over 200,000 miles though so maybe it's just worn out torsion bars??

Ps, what set up do use for hauling your kayaks? With the taller stance on my truck, I haven't been happy with my J cradles.

I would guess that your torsion bars need replacing, especially with so many miles on them. As for the kayak transport, I used to have some cradles (not the J type) and did not like how far up off the roof they held the boats. Now, I just have some Yakima tube pads on the front and rear of my Defender rack, and then just use some cinch straps wrapped under the bars and across the tops of the kayaks to secure them. No issues thus far with damage, or shifting, and it surely keeps them closer to the roof than the old Yakima brackets that I used when I first started kayaking.

TahoeMD - that ARB bumper of yours, is it: 3413090 or 3413190??

I looked through the ARB site and can't find 3413090, but did find 3413190

even though i'm OBS, i have a feeling it would mount up with similar mods that you completed...any ideas??

If you have an OBS, I know that ARB did make a bumper for that body style, just want to make sure you knew about it. I do not know if the OBS and NBS rigs are close enough in measurements that this bumper conversion could be used. Your best bet would be to park next to one and measure them side by side and take some notes, and measure the frame spacing, before taking it on. When I did the project, the part number did end in 090, but ARB may have changed the catalog some and 190 is now the correct reference. One of the members of Z71T-S did a fabulous job of modding a L/C ARB bumper and he notes a change in ARB part numbers in 2010. Here is his bumper build thread.

OBS = old body style (early 2000 and older, to i think 92)

NBS = new body style (late 2000 to 2006)

NNBS = new, new body style (2006 to present)

i know that the first 2 are right. not 100% on the 3rd.

Spargman

Adventurer
I do not know if the OBS and NBS rigs are close enough in measurements that this bumper conversion could be used. Your best bet would be to park next to one and measure them side by side and take some notes, and measure the frame spacing, before taking it on.

Any chance you have those measurements available on your truck? Unfortunately I don't know anyone local with a NBS and if you have them or wouldn't mind taking a few quick measurements, I would be huge for me!

I've also checked local retailers to see if anyone has the LR 100 in stock so I could mock it up in person...but they're all shipped in upon order and delivery charges make it prohibitively expensive to "guess".

You're actually only 2.5hrs from me, interested in joining us on part of this expedition?? (we're leaving in March)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears