2003 Ford E-450 ERV Overland Conversion - Ujoint 4x4 - Bend, OR. Decreased to $115k

I was wondering if the 7.3's were as bad as the 6.0's. I know Ford was scrambling to fix both due to the (EPA regs) with exhaust emissions requirements. I was looking for a EGR delete and a head stud kit install on this one and didn't see it. @gsxr907 is right, the word is out on Ford diesels and it's buyer beware. No body wants to be stuck out in the middle of an adventure broke down or in a limp mode.

Some emergency vehicles have seen municiple abuse, it's a coin toss. Cold starts and out the department door w/no warm up. I get it, you have to go......

This is a great build and I am looking for something like this. I don't want to spend $100k+ and then another $12-$15k with an engine build.

Just my thoughts....
The 7.3 Powerstroke is nothing like the 6.0. It was one of the most reliable diesel motors ever made. Unfortunately at this point the newest 7.3 you can find is 21 years old. There are still many of them on the roads reliably running every day but after 20 years there is maintenance that just has to happen. Rubber seals and wire insulation starts to dry and crack, bushings dryout etc. I have a 7.3 type two ambo in the back of my shop. Runs and drives great but I bought a ‘06 v10 Sportsmobile for my camping/touring rig because of noise and maintenance costs. The 7.3 is a 4 gallon oil change every 5k miles, the v10 is 6 quarts. The 7.3 does tow better (but not much) and without a trailer they get essentially the same MPG. When you look at the cost of diesel and oil changes the 7.3 doesn’t make sense anymore unless you are doing heavy towing.

gsxr907

I was wondering if the 7.3's were as bad as the 6.0's. I know Ford was scrambling to fix both due to the (EPA regs) with exhaust emissions requirements. I was looking for a EGR delete and a head stud kit install on this one and didn't see it. @gsxr907 is right, the word is out on Ford diesels and it's buyer beware. No body wants to be stuck out in the middle of an adventure broke down or in a limp mode.

Some emergency vehicles have seen municiple abuse, it's a coin toss. Cold starts and out the department door w/no warm up. I get it, you have to go......

This is a great build and I am looking for something like this. I don't want to spend $100k+ and then another $12-$15k with an engine build.

Just my thoughts....
The 7.3 is amazing compared to a 6.0... the only way it outshines it ......(is if) you spend the money $$$$$ to bullet-proof a 6.0. Anyway this build is amazing GLWS

Mike_Alpha

Thanks for the comments and discussion. I ultimately chose the 7.3 because of the reliability, understanding that slightly more costly routine maintenance is part of owning anything like this. I didn't want to have to spend the time and money bullet-proofing a 6.0.

Thankfully, because this was a Red Cross vehicle, it was not abused like a typical ambulance. Plus, certain items related to what @TheRenaissanceTinker mentioned, have already been replaced/addressed, such as having the fuel tank re-lined and the fuel bowl and fuel lines replaced.

Speaking of maintenance, I am in need of cylinders and crankshaft for the Cessna 172 so I am motivated to sell in order to free up funds. Price is now decreased to $117k obo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman