New HID

Finally got the Lightforce Striker 170 HID's installed:wings:
DSC03452.jpg

location of ballasts
DSC03456.jpg

Comparison photos:
low beams
DSC03408.jpg

low beams + high beams (using a high beam kit post # 38 of this thread)
DSC03409.jpg

low beam + high beam + Lightforce Striker 170 HID
DSC03410.jpg

Considering a monkey sitting on my bumper holding a cigarette lighter and a piece of tin foil would have given off more light then my old off road lights, these are a huge improvement.

I also decided to relocate my scanguage. I didn't like how I had it set up in front of my odometer. I drilled a small hole in the A piller cover to run the wire through.
DSC03454.jpg

Last edited:

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Nice Colorado you have there. I kinda wanted one of them, but instead i got a 05 Dakota. I chose the dakota cuz its a bit bigger, and its a half ton. What kind of mileage do you get with your 3.5?

Nice Colorado you have there. I kinda wanted one of them, but instead i got a 05 Dakota. I chose the dakota cuz its a bit bigger, and its a half ton. What kind of mileage do you get with your 3.5?

Best ever highway milage in 100% stock condition = 26mpg

Full on expedition mode with all my gear and modifications = 13 to 16 average mpg

pretty neat colorado. whats the scangauge?

Code reader. Check it out here.

wyojoe

Adventurer
I found this thread a couple days ago, and finally just finished reading it. You've given me quite a few ideas about what to do with my Colorado.
I have a Z71 4x4 Crew Cab that I bought new, and it's still basically stock. I have considered lifting it, and probably will do the TB crank/Add-a-leaf lift.
I'm not too crazy about spending a ton of money on a 4" lift kit just to have to buy new wheels too! I may also do a small body lift, and see if I can get 33" tires on it.

I like the rock sliders, and believe that the ones Trailgear sells can be made to work. They look a lot like the ones you have. I will probably be getting a set and figuring out how to make them work.

Some of the other modifications were simple to implement, but quite useful, so I'll probably copy them on my rig. The scangauge and parking brake cable modification are two things I'm considering at the moment. I also like the CB antenna mount. I am currently using a magnet mount on top of the cab, but I don't care too much for the cable coming in through the rear door. Your mount looks clean, and appears to work well.

scsykes

I stumbled upon your thread today for the first time today, nice work on getting your Colorado to where it is today. I have a 2007 Chevy Colorado Z-71 Crew Cab automatic. It has been surprisingly capable off road, however the down hill engine braking is lacking even when shifting into lower gears, in 4 low and in 4 high. There just isn't the compression holdback that I'm used to with my 1999 2door Tahoe.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so, what was/is the resolution?

Thanks, I will be putting some photos of my Tahoe and Colorado in the near future.

Rock slider redo

Back in May of 2008 (post # 107 on this thread) I had my rocker panels and rock sliders coated with Rhino Lining. The rocker panels are holding up great. The rock sliders on the other hand have not done so well. I attribute this to the difficulty of applying something as thick as Rhino Lining to a rounded surface. Any little pin hole that was missed has since peeled away to reveal a large rust spot.

This is what it looked like before I spent four hours peeling the old Rhino Lining off
DSC04115.jpg

What I found underneath
DSC04111.jpg

DSC04114.jpg

After wire brushing all of the rust I applied two coats of POR-15 silver
DSC04136.jpg

DSC04137.jpg

I'm really happy with the results. We'll see in four years how well it holds up in comparison.

Last edited:

blaz

Adventurer
Thank you. Updates like this help me and others make decisions regarding future projects. :bowdown:

onelow1ton

Adventurer
Dang sucks to hear the rhino did not fare so well on the sliders. I might be wrong but doesn't por15 need to be top coated so it will last? Looks good silver with the red

Yes...They do recommend a topcoat to protect from UV exposure. I will leave it as is for now and see how long it lasts. I have enough por-15 to do the job about 4 times over. If it doesn't last I will topcoat next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan