2005 Rubicon LJ

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I am considering adding a roof rack to my soft top LJ and wondered who has run a roof rack? What are/were the pro's and con's? Did it increase noise? Do you/did you make use of it? Impact on mileage? Any other thoughts welcome.

Thanks,

John

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I am considering adding a roof rack to my soft top LJ and wondered who has run a roof rack? What are/were the pro's and con's? Did it increase noise? Do you/did you make use of it? Impact on mileage? Any other thoughts welcome.

Thanks,

John
Not an LJ, but I can give my experiences after adding a Gobi to my TJ:)

Noise: Added a little but I hardly notice it unless I really try to focus in on it

MPG: Before I put the rack on I was averaging around 10-12 mpg. Since adding the rack my milage has stayed about the same. Expect maybe a 1-2 mpg hit

Pros: Number one pro for sure is the extra storage a roof rack adds. Roof rack also adds a big range of utility use as expected (water tanks, tool storage, awning, RTT, gas tanks, etc.). Added benefit of a Gobi rack is the folding feature and no drilling

Cons: Depending on the rack, the cost is a big con. $1600 for the base price of a Gobi is hard to swallow, especially considering one of the most important add ons, sun roof insert, is not included. Besides that, there really are no cons to speak of in my case. It's been probably one of my best investments I've made on my Jeep.

How do I use it: I have a Front Runner Gas Can mount that I have mounted on my rear passenger corner that's gets use on long trips or camping trips. The fold back feature of the Gobi is something I never use, I'm one of those weird Jeeple that never takes the top off his Jeep. Rack provides an easier place to mount my fishing poles rather than having them bounce around in odd locations inside. I have a nearly 13' kayak that finds itself in use usually once a month at minimum on top of my rack. Most recently, I've since mounted an ARB 2000 awning to my rack that should see more use this year. Other than that, I usually have a bag or two tied down up there during long trips whether it be just driving back and forth between NW Arkansas and Texas or being an actual adventure type trip say to Big Bend.

Hopes this gives some good insight. If I happened to miss anything feel free to tell me.

-G

Lucky j

Explorer
For me, major draw back is that it is a pain to play with the soft top with a roof rack. As to be emptied before lifting to place or remove top. I'm a soft top kind of guy because I can easly remove it.

But would like to have a simple system cause awning support and canoe/kayak hauling made easy.

So to get the best of both world, I pull an offroad trailer with a rack on it.

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
For me, major draw back is that it is a pain to play with the soft top with a roof rack. As to be emptied before lifting to place or remove top. I'm a soft top kind of guy because I can easly remove it.

But would like to have a simple system cause awning support and canoe/kayak hauling made easy.

So to get the best of both world, I pull an offroad trailer with a rack on it.

I'm in your very same predicament. I can't lose the fun of the soft top but want to carry a boat. But I cant do a trailer cause out here at school because we only have 1 parking spot.

Lucky j

Explorer
Well, on my YJ, many years ago, before I found out that olympic was making probably the first after market rack type for wrangler, with a kayak fabricator, we had came up with an idea. It was basicaly 2 post, 1 bolted to the front bumper and one bolted to the rear one.

Basically, the kayak was acting as the cross between front and rear. Was making it possible to play with the soft top. Easly removable when not in use. Could be doable for a canoe.

Other option could be the smitybilt type. I think some company make then heavier duty. I think this type make it possible to easily remove the cross bar when not in use, to be able to move the soft top.

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Well, on my YJ, many years ago, before I found out that olympic was making probably the first after market rack type for wrangler, with a kayak fabricator, we had came up with an idea. It was basicaly 2 post, 1 bolted to the front bumper and one bolted to the rear one.

Basically, the kayak was acting as the cross between front and rear. Was making it possible to play with the soft top. Easly removable when not in use. Could be doable for a canoe.

I did this on my LJ. When I got mine in late 05 there wasn't much for the LJ's on the market. I went to a local fabricator and had sockets built for the front and rear, (bolt on). I use Yakima cross bars that I had and bolt them to vertical pieces off square tube that drop in the sockets. Set screws hold them in place. It's worked well for 10 years. I remove the sockets from the Jeep for long trips when I don't need the racks. My hard top is on in the photos. I've run the racks and boats up there with no top on. Pretty loud on the highway with wind noise, its ok for a short run to the lake.
-
The socket photos below I just took this week. Looks like they are ready for a fresh coat of paint.
-
Front Socket - bolts to the 4 bolts that hold the windshield frame up.
-
Jeep%20Bracket%20Front.jpg

-
Rear Socket- the tube steel is welded to a plate that bolts up against the frame through existing holes, (two bolts each)
-
Jeep%20Bracket%20Rear.jpg

-
Side of Jeep
-
Jeep%20Rack%201.jpg

-
Front of Jeep
Jeep%20Rack%202.jpg

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
I like that pretty good.....did you fab the plate that bolts on the windshield or get it from somewhere? Thinking it would probably work on the lower part of the hinge and still facilitate dropping the windshield too? This might be what I end up doing.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I did this on my LJ. When I got mine in late 05 there wasn't much for the LJ's on the market. I went to a local fabricator and had sockets built for the front and rear, (bolt on). I use Yakima cross bars that I had and bolt them to vertical pieces off square tube that drop in the sockets. Set screws hold them in place. It's worked well for 10 years. I remove the sockets from the Jeep for long trips when I don't need the racks. My hard top is on in the photos. I've run the racks and boats up there with no top on. Pretty loud on the highway with wind noise, its ok for a short run to the lake.
-
The socket photos below I just took this week. Looks like they are ready for a fresh coat of paint.
-
Front Socket - bolts to the 4 bolts that hold the windshield frame up.
-
Jeep%20Bracket%20Front.jpg

-
Rear Socket- the tube steel is welded to a plate that bolts up against the frame through existing holes, (two bolts each)
-
Jeep%20Bracket%20Rear.jpg

-
Side of Jeep
-
Jeep%20Rack%201.jpg

-
Front of Jeep
Jeep%20Rack%202.jpg

Great idea and execution. Thanks for sharing.

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
I like that pretty good.....did you fab the plate that bolts on the windshield or get it from somewhere? Thinking it would probably work on the lower part of the hinge and still facilitate dropping the windshield too? This might be what I end up doing.

It was all fabricated. I don't drop the windshield so it wasn't a factor for me but I don't see why you couldn't use the lower mounting position. Another picture from the side of the front bracket that shows the rest of the attachment bolts. Not visible is the padding I use on the inside of the bracket. I just cut some drawer liner material to the shape of the bracket to keep the metal from directly contacting the paint on the Jeep. It has worked well.
-
Jeep%20Bracket%20Front%202.jpg

-

And another overall that shows the rack installed. The front rack is pretty stable side to side because of the short length. The back is more flexible side to side and I use some cam straps from the top corner down to the spare tire to keep the side sway down. They just hook onto the top of the rack and into the holes in the wheel on spare tire. They make a big difference in stability.

-
Jeep%20Sunset.jpg

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Got a lucky score on a set of slightly used Nth Degree 3"springs. Should be here this coming Wednesday. The RC 2.5 springs I have are good but this was a good chance to (what I hope is an...) upgrade at a price I could swallow. Plan all along was to eventually get to 3 - 4". So this with my 0.5" body lift should be about right. I may get them installed before my camping trip next weekend... that way I can do one of those cool guy builds like you see on TV... "We've only got 24 hours to rebuild this entire vehicle"... haha

Last edited:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Received and installed new to me nth degree springs tonight. Easy install, gained about an inch, I think although I did not measure before and after. Luckily I had my help Joe with me.
IMG_3002.jpgIMG_3004.jpgIMG_3010.jpg

Ride is much better, firmer, as I was looking for. Easily have room for 255's which should be my next tire size... a few years from now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman