2005 Rubicon LJ

jscusmcvet

Explorer
In preparation for a drop down tailgate I am picking up this weekend, I added back my Bog Daddy Off Road rear bumper with tire swing. I cut off the corners and "underbody protection" to save weight and they did not work well anyway... and welded caps on the ends of the bumper tube.
IMG_2672.jpgIMG_2671.jpgIMG_2673.jpg

jscusmcvet

Explorer
While I approve of the size you picked, I think you'll regret the load range.(E)

Not huge fan of the load range either. On our Tacoma, we have found a sweet pot at about 28 psi that takes the harshness out of the ride, yet still firm enough to not be squishy in the corners. With as much work as I do with the jeep on the farm and in the woods, I suppose the extra plies may offer a bit of protection as well... but I am not a tire expert, so that is total conjecture on my part

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Tires arrived and mounted. All in less than $500. So far I like the road ride. I have air pressure set at 30# right now and we may adjust more, we'll see. Took them on a little trail on our property with a creek bed crossing and a short steep hill. No issues whatsoever. I like the look with the slightly taller and skinnier tires. My 2.5" spring lift with the .5" body lift looks to be just right for this size tire.IMG_2718.jpgIMG_2717.jpgIMG_2716.jpg

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Kind of goofy seeing KO tread on a non BFG tire. Despite the load E rating, the low tread contact surface will probably help counter poor gas milage from the E rating weight. Love them skinnies!

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Thanks guys! After a day or so of driving, I have brought the front tires back up to 35# and that seems about right. Tires were getting loud at 30# for some reason. We had some good rain today and I can say that these tires are solid in the wet.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Been a while since I posted on the jeep. A few months ago I got hung up out in the woods on the property. Jeep was sitting on the gas tank and would not start... I think the fuel lines must have been pinched or something... so we winched off and she started right up and no problem since.
In order to avoid this in the future, I picked up a Skid Row gas tank skid plate. I already use other skids of theirs and got this off the scratch and dent on their site for a discount... There are other skids out there that gain ground clearance but I am a skid row fan, so here you go...
IMG_2968.jpgIMG_2970.jpg

Last edited:

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
You got lucky with the pump, John. Sometimes the stock tank shield does not spring back enough to clear the pump when you get it off the tank. Good move getting the up-rated tank skid. I have a Gen-right Safari tank waiting patiently to be installed in my LJ.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
You got lucky with the pump, John. Sometimes the stock tank shield does not spring back enough to clear the pump when you get it off the tank. Good move getting the up-rated tank skid. I have a Gen-right Safari tank waiting patiently to be installed in my LJ.

The Safari Tank was one of my favorite MODS, when I had the LJ. The added range and time between fill-ups was worth the $ IMHO. It was a semi pain to install by myself but thanks to my motorcycle jack I was able to pull it off.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted

Holy moly! 31.5 gallons!? I wonder how difficult it would be to retrofit one of those into a TJ because that is awesome

jscusmcvet

Explorer

Holy cow Jim... I am glad I am reading this now and that it did work out that way. We were so deep in a section of woods about a mile from the farthest paved road, that if it did not restart, the jeep might STILL be there! In short we are in the process of building a trail around the perimeter of our property, so we can eventually access it all by jeep or horse. Right now we can access it all, but only by foot. The process is creeping along the property line, taking down as few trees as possible and continuing to drive it until it becomes it's own trail. Each time we go in, we go a little further... this time was the furthest and oh boy a recovery would have been something... Might have had to have Ryan come from Jville to help! :Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman